Cheltenham Town v Newport County AFC (Trophy)

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this evening: http://bit.ly/NewportCountyAFCTrophy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
YEEEES! Scotty Flinders with the £20k save!

And well done and credit to the seven lads who netter their penalties. Not one miss. Great to see.
darreno
Fantastic result!

COYRs!!
paperboy
...40K up for grabs in the next round which is still regionalised.
Benctfc
Hate the competition and not bothered if we had won or lost tonight the only positive is the extra income which could be crucial come January. Nice to see Addai get another goal wonder if Duff will be brave enough to play him ahead of Thomas or Clements if Maddox is still unavailable on Saturday.
Lord Elpuz
It’s a shame some have decided not to support this competition as Cheltenham have fared well since it came into being.

Last nights game was interesting from the tactical perspective and it gave Mr Duff options in trying out different squad combinations. Newport played a very tight game denying The Robins any space to work in the attacking third, limiting us to long range shots mostly from Sam Jones and Alex Addai, and Newport tried to hit us on the break. Addai had a lot of the ball, particularly in the first half and looked a constant menace so it was pleasing to see him smash home the equaliser in the 2nd half. Newport were controlling the game really, until the introduction of 3 Cheltenham subs in the 2nd half, with Forster, Mooney and Clements having an impact on Cheltenham’s attacking endeavours. Penalties are always a nervy lottery and man for man, each penalty was taken with some confidence by both teams until Newport’s last effort was saved by Flinders. The cash will do very nicely, thank you, and if we continue to progress beyond the last 16, I would imagine a lot more Cheltenham fans will take a lot more interest.
vickeryc
Benctfc wrote:Hate the competition and not bothered if we had won or lost tonight the only positive is the extra income which could be crucial come January. Nice to see Addai get another goal wonder if Duff will be brave enough to play him ahead of Thomas or Clements if Maddox is still unavailable on Saturday.
While it's understandable that Checkatrade attendances are low - all clubs have experienced this - it is bizarre to dismiss the competition and be unconcerned whether we win or lose. Besides the extra income it generates (always welcome), winning games is important for momentum and helps boost players' confidence going into league matches.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I have to chuckle at the faux outrage at this competition which people “hate”.

It’s pretty much the only cup we have a chance of winning. I’d rather get a good run and £50k in this competition with a chance of a Wembley final, with home goals and kicks from the penalty mark than lose FA Cup second round games at places like Accrington in front of even fewer people!

Just seems to me that some fans have been whipped up into daft fury about the youth sides playing without bothering to think about the benefits of the competition. Personally I think it is disrespectful to our players who go out trying to win games for our club in a cup which for most of them will be their best chance of silverware and a Wembley final in their lower league career.
horlickfanclub
I'm with Regency ,Vickery and Lord. There is a lot of good coming from the Checkatrade for us and no harm. Well played CTFC.
Si Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:I have to chuckle at the faux outrage at this competition which people “hate”.

It’s pretty much the only cup we have a chance of winning. I’d rather get a good run and £50k in this competition with a chance of a Wembley final, with home goals and kicks from the penalty mark than lose FA Cup second round games at places like Accrington in front of even fewer people!

Just seems to me that some fans have been whipped up into daft fury about the youth sides playing without bothering to think about the benefits of the competition. Personally I think it is disrespectful to our players who go out trying to win games for our club in a cup which for most of them will be their best chance of silverware and a Wembley final in their lower league career.
It’s not a daft fury – there is a genuine fear that by allowing youth clubs into this competition could eventually lead to B-teams being allowed into the Football League.

This competition has been seen as a way to appease the all-conquering Premier League clubs, but success for it indicates that lower league fans are happy to see their first team up against Premier League reserves. If it’s a success, then what’s to stop a League 3 being formed with Man City and Man Utd reserves being thrown in – give it a relatively short number of years and the English League system will be like the Spanish League where the likes of Barcelona B have been in the second tier for 6 of the last 9 seasons.

Oh, and you can forget your Grant McCann’s, Jacob Maddox’s and Jack Butland’s coming to the club on loan. And the hoovering up of young talent will get worse.

The only way to stop this is to show the Football League that we, as fans, don’t want this to happen. It’s easy to say that fans boycotting are not supporting the club, when in actual fact, in the long run that is exactly what they are trying to do.

The real question is do the short-term financial benefits outweigh the long-term traditions of the English League system?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Personally I think such a thing is a long way off. And correct me if I am wrong but won’t the EFL and Clubs have to approve it? If say Andy Wilcox voted for a L3 and B-sides as the Board viewed it as being in CTFC’s best interests how would you feel?

And even if a scenario where this may ever happen, Chelsea have what, 50 players out on loan? That will need a C and D side as well before loans to other clubs dry up.
bigdavejambo
when is the draw for the next round?
GL Rob
bigdavejambo wrote:when is the draw for the next round?
The draw will take place on this week's Soccer Saturday. More details on the draw, including who Cheltenham could face, here:
http://bit.ly/CTRoundThreeDrawDetails" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
leohoenig
The most notable point in that report is the renaming of Macclesfield Town to "Sol Campbell's Macclesfield Town"
Red Duke
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Personally I think such a thing is a long way off. And correct me if I am wrong but won’t the EFL and Clubs have to approve it? If say Andy Wilcox voted for a L3 and B-sides as the Board viewed it as being in CTFC’s best interests how would you feel?

And even if a scenario where this may ever happen, Chelsea have what, 50 players out on loan? That will need a C and D side as well before loans to other clubs dry up.
Aren't UEFA trying to put a stop to this by restricting the number of players that are allowed to go out on loan is 8 with no more than 2 to 1 club?
Shade
Highlights from last night. Things that stand out, how the hell did he get away with that corner on 45 seconds, Addai's finish was great and that volley was so close to being goal of the season.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXdCVJ27x2c" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
asl
That corner is shocking!!! :lol: