Two Teams in Bradford

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If the league tables end up being how they currently are then Bradford (Park Avenue) will start next season just one league below Bradford City.

In 1999/2000 Bradford City survived in the Premier League whilst Bradford were Northern Prem Div 1, then the seventh tier (I think - may be wrong).
Artemis
As interesting as this is, if there is any relevance to CTFC, League 2, players, managers or former categories of the latter two, then its tenuous to say the least (and a team in the same division as us or League 2 next season falls into that category)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
It is not CTFC related: my full intention was to post it in Other Footy and didn’t realise I hadn’t until this moment. Apologies.
Ben3
Can we vote on this?

I say OTC gives next comment or it’s pulled
drgm
f**k other football. There aren't that many posters anyway. May as well keep everything in one place.
It is interesting to note the rise of Bradford PA. I'm old enough to remember when the two Bradford
clubs were neck and neck in the old 3rd division. It's great to see Brad. PA come back from the dead.
bigdavejambo
BPA dont have a lot of money behind them although they are in a decent position to get 'scraps' from Bradford City, Halifax and other local teams.
RedRobin32
I remember being on honeymoon in Cornwall in May 1970 when Bradford PA were voted out of the Football League. Two of their contracted players were staying in the same hotel, Graham Carr (comedian Alan Carr's Dad) and Terry Dolan. Both went on to manage in the league, Carr was Northampton manger for ages and Dolan managed both Birmingham and York City.

Later when I was Paul Godfrey's predecessor, I had the pleasure of meeting up with them both again - professionally this time. Bearing in mind that would have been 30 years later, I was flattered that both guys remembered me. I must have chatted to Terry Dolan for a good hour after the match and SC was none too pleased that I had been so friendly with an opposition manager!

Good guys, both of them.
Shade
RedRobin32 wrote:I remember being on honeymoon in Cornwall in May 1970 when Bradford PA were voted out of the Football League. Two of their contracted players were staying in the same hotel, Graham Carr (comedian Alan Carr's Dad) and Terry Dolan. Both went on to manage in the league, Carr was Northampton manger for ages and Dolan managed both Birmingham and York City.

Later when I was Paul Godfrey's predecessor, I had the pleasure of meeting up with them both again - professionally this time. Bearing in mind that would have been 30 years later, I was flattered that both guys remembered me. I must have chatted to Terry Dolan for a good hour after the match and SC was none too pleased that I had been so friendly with an opposition manager!

Good guys, both of them.
Great story
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Great to hear that story and other people’s memories of Bradford (PA).

I wasn’t really aware of their history in the FL grateful for those around at the time making the effort to post.
leohoenig
It should be pointed out that with 14 years between the original going bust and the new club forming, the only connection between the two Park Avenue clubs is the name. Indeed, even that is different as the original was Bradford FC, but known as Bradford (Park Avenue) to avoid confusion with other teams, while the new club is Bradford (Park Avenue) FC

The original club played at a ground on Horton Park Avenue, the new club do not