Scoreboard review

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

paperboy
Well it's a slow news day on the nest so.....

After a seasons use how does everyone rate our scoreboard ?

As is probably obvious I'm not a big fan of it.
Whilst it is more than many other League 2 clubs have, I stand in the PRE and there is little value to it for me.
For the amount that it cost it is nothing more than a magnificent clock.
The video material might be fine from parts of the ground, but I cannot read much of the text as the font size is too small.

I understood that it would generate income in the longer term and I sincerely hope that will prove to be the case.

That's just my opinion,but if the majority think it adds to their matchday experience then I'm absolutely fine with that.
theidlerich
Are you referring to the corner where there appears to be a loud noise and some lighting effects; not sure though as from my ST seat in the In2p -or whatever it's called now - it might as well be invisible!!!
Johnsons Red Army
Ticks both boxes for me:

• Keeps an accurate track of time played since kick-off
• Shows the score

Am also able to see it better than I thought I would be from my seat in the CF stand (block 2), albeit have to lean forward to do so.

So all in all, I think it was a good £20 spent (my donation).

Just need one in the opposite corner now and job done.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The position of it was always going to be, and is, the problem.

Before matches I can stand up and see the videos through/over people’s heads but during the game I cannot really see it unless I lean a lot. That is block 4 in CF. Anyone in blocks 1-3 will struggle even more. CF seats are the most expensive seats and where a large chunk of supporters go, so not being able to see the scoreboard is poor.

Even from a business perspective, selling advertising space on a screen which the largest market can clearly see is not ideal.
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 12 Dec 2018, 09:55, edited 1 time in total.
Si Robin
I have no trouble seeing it from block 1 - I have to lean forward a bit, but I can see it quite clearly.

It does a job, and as JRA says, I consider it £20 well spent.
Flux
It certainly looks the business and hopefully brings in the extra revenue the club hoped for.

For me it looks good my view from the PRE is fine as expected but a few work colleagues sit in the Colin Farmer stand and say the view of it is not great but as they are there watching a game and not a TV they don’t really think about it much, as there is very little content on there that would make them watch the screen, but despite this they said would like more on the screen at half time weather it be 1st half highlights or the player interviews streamed onto the screen. Being someone who stands with the screen in full view I agree that there is very little content put on the screen during half time it seems to be more use as a digital picture frame with no video content the last proper bit of content on the screen I can remember was the armistice video though the sound was a bit muffled, not as bad as the half time interviews on the pitch you can never hear them.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Maybe some ‘fans footage’ from youth games and the women’s team at HT if not possible to show match highlights which require a very quick editing turn around which we probably don’t have resource for. So if a fan or club has filmed youth games or women’s games on their phone, showing goals from these on the big screen followed by league tables and fixtures will help connect what happens on a Saturday with other parts of the club.

The TVs below stairs in the CF used to show BBC final score at half time. Could that be shown on the big screen as a way of sharing half time scores etc?
THECHOIRBOY
I actually really like it. I stand in the PRE and every week say "that video never tires" with the big highlights of previous years. I think part of the issue is still possibly sound linked to it as you could do a lot more with it; if the tannoy was more reliable around the ground.
Shade
I sit at the back of Block 3 and always knew I wouldn't be able to see it, because of the TV gantry and people stood on it, when pledging my money. I can lean forward a bit to get glimpses of the aforementioned video before every game, and I can give a good old lean forward during play to get a glimpse of the match clock.

Another one in the opposite corner would be fantastic. I remember when the company that makes/installs the screens came down with the example one when we played against, I think, Chesterfield and they raised it up above the turnstiles for the PRE. It was a good position. We lost 3-0, though, so that didn't look so good on it.
Robin
It's great, you can see the teams, it has the clock, the build up before kick off helps the atmosphere and it brings in revenue.
horlickfanclub
There was nothing functioning before so it is a great improvement. Credit to those who organised the installation and also those that donated. Hopefully the revenue is on target. Every penny helps.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Yes to clarify my comments were nitpicking to find criticism and suggest improvements, not to rubbish what had undoubtedly been a good addition to the ground.
paperboy
.....ah so I seem to be in the minority (nothing new there).

Maybe when the PRE has it's roof raised another screen could be incorporated within it.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
paperboy wrote:.....ah so I seem to be in the minority (nothing new there).

Maybe when the PRE has it's roof raised another screen could be incorporated within it.
Definite room for improvement to make it more useful for fans and advertisers. Whilst an improvement on what we have, I agree with you that it can still be a lot better.
Lord Elpuz
I frequently pinch myself when I look around the stadium to see what has been achieved since we became a Football League Club compared to the modest ground we had in non-League days, and I am very proud of the fact that we do have a proper Football Stadium that we can all be proud of. Yes, there is still more to be done, but having the lovely shiny Screen was another big piece in the jigsaw. I paid my donation towards it and have my name (without my title) on the backplate and I take great pride in that.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Lord Elpuz wrote:I frequently pinch myself when I look around the stadium to see what has been achieved since we became a Football League Club compared to the modest ground we had in non-League days, and I am very proud of the fact that we do have a proper Football Stadium that we can all be proud of. Yes, there is still more to be done, but having the lovely shiny Screen was another big piece in the jigsaw. I paid my donation towards it and have my name (without my title) on the backplate and I take great pride in that.
If you were ever manager and the team was doing badly the fans could chant ‘Elpuz Out’.
Lord Elpuz
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
If you were ever manager and the team was doing badly the fans could chant ‘Elpuz Out’.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

That would certainly confuse a lot of the punters in the ground 8-)