Loans/January

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
As January approaches what do people expect to happen with the various loans (those we've sent out and those we've brought in). I suspect what happens with loans will define how many permanent signings we can afford.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I reckon three or four in, mix of loans / perms.
Nesty
the only loan we have here that I can see being extended is Barnett, possibly Mooney. I cant see any of the ones we have loaned out coming back although Duku might be worth bringing back to replace Mooney.

Field, Alcock, Baldwin and Jones to go back and Lloyd, Smith and Debayo to stay on loan or be released
Si Robin
Alcock isn't on loan.
kiaora84
Two players coming in from Burnley on loan until the end of the season, so some of the loans will definitely going back
Nesty
Si Robin wrote:Alcock isn't on loan.
correct - sorry -
Robin
Duff did mention we would likely be taking some loans who are out of contract at the end of the season and being released so it will be an extended trial for all parties.

Of the loans we have out it probably makes most sense to keep Bower, Smith and Lloyd gaining experience as they will unlikely feature for us other than from the bench. Perhaps we can get them playing at conference level rather than present clubs. Debayo I wonder if he will move to Dover permanently or whether he will come back here and we release Field (to sign alternative loans). Duku I would hope is brought back here and we release Sam Jones and Kelsey Mooney as they offer nothing.

So I would hope for Duku back in the squad, Bower/Lloyd/Smith to stay gaining experience and assessed in the summer. We may pay off McAlindon and Debayo but I'd guess we will be trying to find them permanent slots at conference clubs given the lengths of their deals. I'd keep Tyrone for the season but wouldn't sign him permanently at this stage.

Out: Jones, Mooney, Field, Baldwin (loans returned), McAlindon/Debayo (permanently if we can off load them). I suspect we may also release Clements and Alcock who are out of contract. So as many as eight leaving.
In: Two central midfielders, one striker (two if Duku doesn't return) and a pacey winger/left back cover. So five or six coming in.
Shade
Unless absolutely desperate for a bit of extra money, I think he'll keep Alcock and Clements, just because there won't be that much player turn over and they're the least of his worries. Alcock is decent cover at right back and he seems to like Clements. I think the midfield will be added to rather than getting rid of one or two to replace them. Enough numbers can be cut from other positions.
Robin
Alcock was a regular in league one last season, not sure he'd be happy as cover here, especially when we play largely with wing backs Shade. As for midfield, we have three slots Maddox is a certainty so we have then Dawson, Atangana, Clements and Thomas already with the high probably we will sign another to play in there. I reckon that means one will need to be moved on and likely to be Clements (who is out of contract) or Thomas who has another eighteen months to go. That's even excluding Addai who can play in there or up top.
Ben3
No idea on the ins and outs but we need a centre forward.

Keeper - good. Defence - getting there and we have a bit of cover.

Midfield - weak but with Maddox passable.

Attack - Tyrone and Varney ok for a half each, but we need a goal scorer

(Can I just say - everyone needs a goal scorer. Goals win games, goals are vital. IF Duff can rustle up some kid from Burnley who can score regularly we will make the play offs).

What did I just say? The P-O word? Yes I did
Shade
Yeah and Alcock was released and a free agent until we picked him up and he's not getting much game time here so he'd be happy for a wage, I'd imagine!
Robin
I don't know Shade, fairly sure he'll want first team football. Yeovil were very interested in him from what I hear so that could be an option.