Michael Duff ahead of Swindon Town away

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Full interview can be read/watched here: http://bit.ly/DuffPreSwindon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
paperboy
....Swindon Town team news here

https://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/spo ... own-clash/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Si Robin
Our first trip to Swindon in a League game - topped by probably my favourite ever Cheltenham goal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnOdxHcmLbg
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:Our first trip to Swindon in a League game - topped by probably my favourite ever Cheltenham goal:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnOdxHcmLbg
Without looking, is it Damian Spencer’s?
Si Robin
It is indeed - not as good as I remember it live, but still a fantastic hit.
theidlerich
Loved it....one of the few that wasn't hoofed over the stands! :)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:It is indeed - not as good as I remember it live, but still a fantastic hit.
I remember being rendered almost speechless behind the goal. With a 2-0 lead at half time I have a rule of thumb that if you concede within 15 mins of the restart you won’t win the game so I was anxiously counting down and cheering every minute that passed, and then we kept it tight until 75th mins when DS curled in that beauty.
Shade
I generally can't understand players that take their shirts off when they score a goal but I love that Devaney celebration.

Spencer's celebration, all I can think of is him running to the bench and saying "see, I told you if I hit enough one would eventually go in".
Nesty
I thought we had unearthed a great footballer when I saw Spencer for the first time - he scored twice in a trial game at FGR. He relied on the right pass, and Russ Milton knew where to put the ball for him. Sadly he didnt live up to expectations that often...... a great character
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:I thought we had unearthed a great footballer when I saw Spencer for the first time - he scored twice in a trial game at FGR. He relied on the right pass, and Russ Milton knew where to put the ball for him. Sadly he didnt live up to expectations that often...... a great character
His goal early on his CTFC career vs Plymouth sticks in the mind too. Running across edge of 18 yard box and outside of the foot into the far corner.
Si Robin
Only Cheltenham player to score two hat-tricks in the Football League. On his day he was completely unplayable, mainly because half the time he didn't even know what he was going to do.

I always said that he and Kayode Odejayi would have made one fantastic footballer. His work rate, desire, and ability to pull something out of nothing mixed with Kay's natural ability. It would have been unstoppable.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:Only Cheltenham player to score two hat-tricks in the Football League. On his day he was completely unplayable, mainly because half the time he didn't even know what he was going to do.

I always said that he and Kayode Odejayi would have made one fantastic footballer. His work rate, desire, and ability to pull something out of nothing mixed with Kay's natural ability. It would have been unstoppable.
I am sure it would not have been beyond the wit of man, even that pre-iPhone age, to have cloned the DNA of both men and selectively bred a genetically designed super striker. That would have helped boost attendances!
asl
Sold to a Championship club after one season, though...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:Sold to a Championship club after one season, though...
Would have been another travesty of a decision by the Board. But hey, some loans and a new roof.
Shade
Even though he didn't score that night, Spencer at Elland Road, huh...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Even though he didn't score that night, Spencer at Elland Road, huh...
Their right back still has nightmares. He absolutely battered them. Not sure I have seen a sporting domination by an individual like that in person before or since.
asl
He really was amazing that night at Elland Road. Set it up on a plate for Brooker to make it three.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Si Robin wrote:Only Cheltenham player to score two hat-tricks in the Football League. On his day he was completely unplayable, mainly because half the time he didn't even know what he was going to do.

I am sure it would not have been beyond the wit of man, even that pre-iPhone age, to have cloned the DNA of both men and selectively bred a genetically designed super striker. That would have helped boost attendances!
Well I never. News broke this morning that a club are selling the DNA of their former captain:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46630511" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;