CTFC v Forest Green Rovers and OTC 29th December 2018

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

kiaora84
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
kiaora84 wrote:We have stagnated over the last few years and they are on the rise no surprises their fan base is growing whilst ours seems to be dropping off. That happens when you fail to build on success or don’t offer value for money.

On another note, I had an interesting chat with somebody close to Carl Winchester the other day, who suggested that whilst money was a big factor, the main reason for going was his relationship with GJ.

By all accounts he couldn’t stand him and more than likely would of stayed had McCann or Duff got the job prior to his exit.

I am sure old turncoat will be able to verify this with his best mate Dale.
Take with a pinch of salt of course. No player or people close to them are going to straight up say “Yes I’m a mercenary who doesn’t care about either club and just moved for the money”. Presenting a reason based on footballing differences a much better look for the player and the new club. Same as the classic “moving to be closer to family” and we know first hand a player may say that then move in the opposite direction for a pay cheque.
Normally I would agree RSC, however when I take into account, mine and the sources professions, how close he actually is to the player I can say confindently that there is definitely a lot of truth behind it. Especially with the GJ situation. It’s not the first time that particular aspect has been spoken of.

Would he of stayed? Who knows but it is another example of how unhappy the camp really was
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
SHANDY VOR wrote:What about the pitch.

Losers always blame the pitch.
Incorrect. Unless you are speaking for yourself re the Evesham swamp.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
little mo wrote:
Ben3 wrote:Hi little Mo - I dont know this for a fact but I'd stake a lot of money on it - absolutely NO CHANCE it will sell out tomorrow.

Absolutely NO CHANCE!!!!

Even in our big cup games there is room for a few more

(If I am wrong you have my ticket tomorrow :) )
Ben, I THINK you are right but I just have a feeling it is going to be a lot busier than most of us thought a couple of weeks ago. However I am well known as a bit of a worrier :roll: . COYR
Maybe see if possible to order online and collect tomorrow? Or set off whilst the M1 is still shrouded in darkness and get a ticket from ticket office before they are moved to turnstiles.
Jerry St Clair
Robin wrote:Home seating is close to selling out so that's 3000, looking like 4500+ attendance which surprises me.
Hang on. The CF holds 2050, the Hazelwoods holds 900+ so that's 3000 straight away.

Add in the main stand seats (700?) plus the Paddock, Tunnel and PRE then we surely have to be looking at a comfortable 5000? That would be a terrific attendance.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Jerry St Clair wrote:
Robin wrote:Home seating is close to selling out so that's 3000, looking like 4500+ attendance which surprises me.
Hang on. The CF holds 2050, the Hazelwoods holds 900+ so that's 3000 straight away.

Add in the main stand seats (700?) plus the Paddock, Tunnel and PRE then we surely have to be looking at a comfortable 5000? That would be a terrific attendance.
Main stand 1,000 seats. So yes, with 2,000 in the CF and 870+ being reported by FGR official channels we should have around 3,800 in seats.

So quite realistic to hope for a further 1,200 standing around the ground.

Adds support to the theory of people saving time and money missing the MK Dons match to save it for this weekend.
Robin
little mo wrote:Getting a little bit worried about tickets now. I always stand on the PRE and pay on the gate, no problem getting in. But thinking about it, both teams playing well,xmas holidays as well, is it likely to be a much bigger crowd than we thought,or more to the point,is it likely to get full? Driving down from Yorkshire so will be right peed off if full.

Last I heard Mo is seats are close to selling out (few hundred left) but lots of room in the terraces. I don't expect the attendance to top 5000 so no need to be concerned about getting a ticket.
Jerry St Clair
Yep, when was the last sell out at WR? Everton?

Zero chance of anyone being locked out tomorrow. (Slight risk of missing KO if you don’t get there in good time. There will be queues at the PRE turnstiles).
Robin
Shows again that we need to get the new stand built and increase capacity to a minimum of 3000.
Ralph
I see FGRMedia are blaming CTFC for not allowing FGR's Phil Mitchell into the game. He already had a ticket too. What is the betting that is a smokescreen and it's FGR issues instead
Robin
Presumably he's one of the FGR wannabes that ran on the pitch last year after getting beaten up in town. Not sure our club can ban their fans though it must come from them.
Ralph
No he's a lot older and been round the club a long time. I'd say one of their best fans.
Robin
Then I must say I find it very strange why our club would ban him, must be something on the FGR end. I'm sure OTC was saying something like this the other day.
The Old TomCat
kiaora84 wrote:On another note, I had an interesting chat with somebody close to Carl Winchester the other day, who suggested that whilst money was a big factor, the main reason for going was his relationship with GJ.
By all accounts he couldn’t stand him and more than likely would of stayed had McCann or Duff got the job prior to his exit.
Take with a pinch of salt of course. No player or people close to them are going to straight up say “Yes I’m a mercenary who doesn’t care about either club and just moved for the money”. Presenting a reason based on footballing differences a much better look for the player and the new club. Same as the classic “moving to be closer to family” and we know first hand a player may say that then move in the opposite direction for a pay cheque.
A few weeks ago Carl Winchester gave a very long interview to editor of the FGR match day magazine where he detailed his career including time at Cheltenham:
He wrote:

“He spent six years at Boundary Park [Oldham] and made over 100 appearances before feeling his time drifting towards a natural conclusion in 2017 with a new manager coming in and finding himself lacking the game time he was craving.
A move to Cheltenham Town in January 2017 saw that remedied and he featured in almost every game he was eligible to play for the Robins.
It was in the Summer that Forest Green came knocking for the midfielder. He was fully aware of the implications, but having been involved in the 1-0 defeat to Mark Cooper’s side at Whaddon Road and not enjoying the experience of being ‘passed off the park’, he knew it was a move he had to make for his own career. “

In the article Carl talks in depth about the death of his best friend at age of 24 which caused him to consider his footballing future. Carl said he was mentally in a bad place and still sometimes struggles.
Terrific article because Carl advises others going through hard times that there are people who one can talk to that can help.
The EFL charity partner MIND’s phone number was added as was phone number for the Samaritans.
Carl says that now whenever he scores a goal he points to the sky, a nod to the tragedy that hit his life last year.
The Old TomCat
Robin wrote:Honestly OTC do you think any of us are interested in watching that?
YES :D
Shade
Onviously we knew Winchester had a loss of some kind when he was gone for a couple of weeks for "personal reasons" but as far as I'm aware it was never made public who it was he'd lost. Sorry to hear that, but deciding he was leaving, effectively jumping ship, because we were passed off the park, a park that he was supposed to be playing on, is the behaviour of a rat. A rat that was never committed to the cause. Glad he's gone. Especially now Clements has shown he's capable of better things.
Si Robin
He was gone long before the summer - he shouldn't have been playing in the FGR game last season. I thought that was pretty much an open secret.
The Old TomCat
Of late I’ve noted that there has seemingly been a thawing in the relationship between our two teams at club level.
DV has spoken very well of your new chairman and in the FGR match day magazine of 22 Dec Scott Bartlett [Head of FGR Academy] writes:

“We face Cheltenham at home this morning and the rivalry carries down a little bit to the players probably not so much to the coaches.
All the academies help each other and the academy managers ….........................................There is rivalry but there is real respect between all of the clubs and academies and ultimately we are all here for player development.
The guys at Cheltenham have been a real help to us since we got up and running ….............”

Alas for FGR the Under 16’s lost 2-0 and the Under 18’s lost 3-1.
asl
So Winnie has told one person one thing - and another, something different. I'll just leave that thought here...
King giraffe iii
Robin wrote:Presumably he's one of the FGR wannabes that ran on the pitch last year after getting beaten up in town. Not sure our club can ban their fans though it must come from them.
Far from being a wannabe, he's been watching since he was a kid. Very much an adult now.

Never had any hassle with him, count him as a friend and when we've differences of opinions we talk about it. He got a bit excited after beating Chesterfield last season and went on the gravel pitch surrounds, realised his mistake and went back. I've done worse but he got banned for it. He ended up being fined and his ban at FGR is soon to end. I doubt he'll be back which is a real shame.

I think the match ban stems from the stewarding company both clubs employ.
Last edited by King giraffe iii on 28 Dec 2018, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
King giraffe iii
Shade wrote:Glad he's gone. Especially now Clements has shown he's capable of better things.
Having seen both at FGR I would take Winchester any day of the week.
Ralph
The Old TomCat wrote:Of late I’ve noted that there has seemingly been a thawing in the relationship between our two teams at club level.
DV has spoken very well of your new chairman and in the FGR match day magazine of 22 Dec Scott Bartlett [Head of FGR Academy] writes:

“We face Cheltenham at home this morning and the rivalry carries down a little bit to the players probably not so much to the coaches.
All the academies help each other and the academy managers ….........................................There is rivalry but there is real respect between all of the clubs and academies and ultimately we are all here for player development.
The guys at Cheltenham have been a real help to us since we got up and running ….............”

We don't care what they or anyone else at FGR think. Stop posting shite
The Old TomCat
Ralph wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:Of late I’ve noted that there has seemingly been a thawing in the relationship between our two teams at club level.

Ralph
one more and.....
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Then I must say I find it very strange why our club would ban him, must be something on the FGR end. I'm sure OTC was saying something like this the other day.
He is banned from the TNL as well as several others. He broke the rules on the South Stand but blames the Club for wanting to get rid of him and other vocal supporters, leading to an ongoing ‘silent protest’ by allies of the banned fans. On their forum he said the letter came from CTFC in conjunction with FGR. It is blatantly obvious FGR contacted the CTFC / police and that has left CTFC under pressure to act.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Old TomCat wrote:
kiaora84 wrote:On another note, I had an interesting chat with somebody close to Carl Winchester the other day, who suggested that whilst money was a big factor, the main reason for going was his relationship with GJ.
A few weeks ago Carl Winchester gave a very long interview to editor of the FGR match day magazine where he detailed his career including time at Cheltenham:
He wrote:

“He spent six years at Boundary Park [Oldham] and made over 100 appearances before feeling his time drifting towards a natural conclusion in 2017 with a new manager coming in and finding himself lacking the game time he was craving.
A move to Cheltenham Town in January 2017 saw that remedied and he featured in almost every game he was eligible to play for the Robins.
It was in the Summer that Forest Green came knocking for the midfielder. He was fully aware of the implications, but having been involved in the 1-0 defeat to Mark Cooper’s side at Whaddon Road and not enjoying the experience of being ‘passed off the park’, he knew it was a move he had to make for his own career. “

In the article Carl talks in depth about the death of his best friend at age of 24 which caused him to consider his footballing future. Carl said he was mentally in a bad place and still sometimes struggles.
Terrific article because Carl advises others going through hard times that there are people who one can talk to that can help.
The EFL charity partner MIND’s phone number was added as was phone number for the Samaritans.
Carl says that now whenever he scores a goal he points to the sky, a nod to the tragedy that hit his life last year.
Thanks for that OTC. Well done to Carl for speaking about mental health issues and helping to tackle the stigma and attitudes that still exist in football.

He is still a sprout and a rat what moved for the money, the car and the house though.

F*ck Winchester
F*ck Forest Green

Sweet dreams tonight OTC because this time tomorrow you’ll be having nightmares about what you witness at WR.
Chris FGR
Ralph wrote:

I actually agree on this, why would anyone care?

There is no "thawing" of the relationship because at most levels there was no problem between either club in the first place.
Scott Bartlett has no connection to this game, he is not from Glos has never played in this fixture He is not an FGR fan he just happens to be employed by the club at this time so why would he have anything against Cheltenham? Same goes for the rest of our employees. The only people who do have strong feelings about this are the fans, and even then it's just a few kids really, historically both clubs fans get on well this is hardly a traditional rivalry or massive grudge match.
The Old TomCat
[quote="RegencyCheltenhamSpa]
Sweet dreams tonight OTC because this time tomorrow you’ll be having nightmares about what you witness at WR.
[/quote]

Slept well and up early in preparation for hopefully a great game.

At time of writing [7.15am] I have some good news and bad news for TRN.
[*] Bad news: I checked out seven different betting sites and they all forecast a FGR win.
[*] Good news X 2: Predictors on TRN are very bullish for a home win - 6 for win and only one for a draw,
while
on FGR forum it is mixed: 9 for an away win, 7 for a drawn game and 4 for a home win.

Many FGR fans are well aware of Cheltenham's recent upturn of good results. And they do have home advantage.
Whatever the result FGR would remain in the play-offs and Cheltenham would not fall into a automatic relegation place.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Old TomCat wrote:[quote="RegencyCheltenhamSpa]
Slept well and up early in preparation for hopefully a great game.

At time of writing [7.15am] I have some good news and bad news for TRN.
[*] Bad news: I checked out seven different betting sites and they all forecast a FGR win.
[*] Good news X 2: Predictors on TRN are very bullish for a home win - 6 for win and only one for a draw,
while
on FGR forum it is mixed: 9 for an away win, 7 for a drawn game and 4 for a home win.

Many FGR fans are well aware of Cheltenham's recent upturn of good results. And they do have home advantage.
Whatever the result FGR would remain in the play-offs and Cheltenham would not fall into a automatic relegation place.[/quote][/quote]

Balls to the bookies.

They wrote us off,
Who gives a f*ck,
We’re Cheltenham Town,
And we’re going up.*

*next season.
The Old TomCat
[quote="Chris FGRThere is no "thawing" of the relationship because at most levels there was no problem between either club in the first place.
[/quote]

Sorry to disagree Chris, but for past few years there has been a lot of bad blood between the two.
After one ElGlosico match the Cheltenham chairman wrote that he had been ignored by FGR chairman. [He had slagged off FGR in FGR's boardroom]
Same chairman allegedly said DV had wanted to buy into CTFC but he turned him down as he did not fit CTFC profile!!
A year or two ago staff at TNL said they get next to no help from CTFC unlike that from many, many other clubs.
And manager Gary Johnson used to regularly whip up a anti-FGR frenzy around time of any derby games. [Mark C & Michael D are more laid back]
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Old TomCat wrote:[quote="Chris FGRThere is no "thawing" of the relationship because at most levels there was no problem between either club in the first place.
Sorry to disagree Chris, but for past few years there has been a lot of bad blood between the two.
After one ElGlosico match the Cheltenham chairman wrote that he had been ignored by FGR chairman. [He had slagged off FGR in FGR's boardroom]
Same chairman allegedly said DV had wanted to buy into CTFC but he turned him down as he did not fit CTFC profile!!
A year or two ago staff at TNL said they get next to no help from CTFC unlike that from many, many other clubs.
And manager Gary Johnson used to regularly whip up a anti-FGR frenzy around time of any derby games. [Mark C & Michael D are more laid back][/quote]

And of course the mistreatment of CTFC fans by DV; deliberately giving us hardly any tickets, stupid quizzes on the gate an warnings of arrest if standing safely in empty parts of the ground, deliberately not allowing disabled or less mobile fans in. Vince’s smear against PB and JP about the Frear situation etc.

The worst CTFC have ever done is maybe this year where the stated policy is that FGR must sit in allocated seats.

I had no bad blood until Vince’s antics. I always wanted FGR to do well. I watched the FGR play off games vs Bristol Rovers supporting FGR. When we got relegated I wanted both teams to go up. Then we had our game at TNL and the way DV treated CTFC fans which changed things for ever. Unforgivable.
Ben3
I don’t think any of us have any bad blood with FGR.

I hate their owner and all he stands for in sport. For this reason (and this reason alone!) I hope they lose every game they ever play and go bust.

(And if they did go bust I’d fully support the real fans to get their club back where it belongs, as would ctfc as a club and all our fans.)

Unfortunately for Chris FGR and their loyal fans they can see where this train wreck will inevtiably lead...for those turncoats like OTC and most of their fan base they will bask in the short term glory and when it blows up just follow their previous team(s)
Si Robin
I actually agree with Ben - I have never disliked FGR or their fans who were following them before the sugar daddy came in.

What I dislike is the fact that they are now an advertising tool for a megalomaniac. That their new fans are more plastic than MK Dons fans and that somehow this game is becoming the one game for idiots to come out and play.

I mentioned on another forum - you didn't see these kids coming out against Portsmouth or Plymouth a couple of years ago, or even Newport last month.
King giraffe iii
Si Robin wrote:I actually agree with Ben - I have never disliked FGR or their fans who were following them before the sugar daddy came in.

What I dislike is the fact that they are now an advertising tool for a megalomaniac. That their new fans are more plastic than MK Dons fans and that somehow this game is becoming the one game for idiots to come out and play.

I mentioned on another forum - you didn't see these kids coming out against Portsmouth or Plymouth a couple of years ago, or even Newport last month.
Totally agree.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
King giraffe iii wrote:
Si Robin wrote:I actually agree with Ben - I have never disliked FGR or their fans who were following them before the sugar daddy came in.

Totally agree.
Just a shame fans of the real FGR like Phil Mitchell are being hounded out by the owners and their stewarding company henchmen.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Credit to FGR fans who are turning up in numbers. The latest from their forum:

“For those that were unable to get a ticket there’s tickets available on the day, just not in the away stand, the standing area under the main stand has become a unofficial extra away end, let’s get behind the boys in numbers.”

And very welcome they are. All money in the CTFC coffers. And unlike our games at TNL, as we are a football club first and foremost they will be allowed in to fill empty space and boost the atmosphere.