CTFC v Forest Green Rovers and OTC 29th December 2018

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
The away end holds around 900 so I must admit your turnout has surprised me as I didn't think you'd manage much more than 600.
BenhallRobin
I though the allocation was around 1,050?

However the bigger clubs who have visited here have been given up to 1,700 in the past.
Si Robin
Chris FGR wrote:How many tickets would you have allocated us? Around 900? Apparently only 30 left so might even sell out.
Assuming you have the whole of the Hazelwoods (and I see no reason why not) then you should have 1,100.

Can anyone think of a reason why it would be capped at say 900?
Robin
I think the away end holds just under 1000. For bigger clubs we give also 400 seats in the In2Print, this has not been given this time as we will fill that stand with our own support.
Chris FGR
We have now sold out, apparently.
Robin
Well done Chris, is that your largest ever following for a league game then? Bigger than what you brought in the conference for sure.
SHANDY VOR
The club did that when Dale Vince took over
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:
Chris FGR wrote:How many tickets would you have allocated us? Around 900? Apparently only 30 left so might even sell out.
Assuming you have the whole of the Hazelwoods (and I see no reason why not) then you should have 1,100.

My understanding is that when opened it was 1,100. Then after the Chester Cup game and the League game vs the Gas when injury time goals for both away sides saw fans easily spilling on to the pitch the wall was put up, which means we can no longer sell the front row of seats which has reduced the capacity.
Chris FGR
Robin wrote:Well done Chris, is that your largest ever following for a league game then? Bigger than what you brought in the conference for sure.
I would definitely think so yes. We had less then that at Bristol rovers in the play offs (700ish) which is the only other time we could have got close other then against yourselves, which has obviously never sold out before.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Does the away end at WR have a bar etc these days?

If not can the Club organise a pop up? We need to milk these plastics for every penny we can!
Si Robin
Definitely no bar there - I'm not sure it's possible to put one there is there? The food hut they use is in view of the pitch, and there's nowhere to put one behind that goal that isn't in view of the pitch.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:Definitely no bar there - I'm not sure it's possible to put one there is there? The food hut they use is in view of the pitch, and there's nowhere to put one behind that goal that isn't in view of the pitch.
They have that big concourse area by the turnstiles inside and out. Don’t know if out of sight of the pitch though.

Just seems like an opportunity missed and another bit of amateurism from our club.

Fair play, the FGR fans and Ecotricity happy clappers have both done their bit to fill the away stand. Now CTFC, fans, players and club have to do their bit.
Robin
Home seating is close to selling out so that's 3000, looking like 4500+ attendance which surprises me.
The Old TomCat
Mark Cooper's pre-match interview where he is very complimentary towards Cheltenham and manager Duff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1jxquATiWs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
Honestly OTC do you think any of us are interested in watching that?
SHANDY VOR
You should be. Know your enemy and all that. Do you think that Churchill refused to listen to Hitler's rants because he thought the chap was a bit of a wrong 'un?

Hang on, this analogy doesn't work. The fans are the Citizens, and your manager would be the Churchill equivalent. You wouldn't want normal people listen to that madman. But to be honest I don't really know if people were allowed to listen to Hitler's speeches during the war, and then not many would understand him anyway.

Are there are posters on here that were alive during the second world war at any age where they would remember this sort of thing. Nesty?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Home seating is close to selling out so that's 3000, looking like 4500+ attendance which surprises me.
4,500 with around 900 FGR was my prediction. Be great if we exceed that and get closer to 5,000.
kiaora84
We have stagnated over the last few years and they are on the rise no surprises their fan base is growing whilst ours seems to be dropping off. That happens when you fail to build on success or don’t offer value for money.

On another note, I had an interesting chat with somebody close to Carl Winchester the other day, who suggested that whilst money was a big factor, the main reason for going was his relationship with GJ.

By all accounts he couldn’t stand him and more than likely would of stayed had McCann or Duff got the job prior to his exit.

I am sure old turncoat will be able to verify this with his best mate Dale.
asl
SHANDY VOR wrote:I don't really know if people were allowed to listen to Hitler's speeches during the war, and then not many would understand him anyway.
"If you play recordings of Hitler's speeches at 78rpm he sounds like Donald Duck." Flick, The Gestapo, 1943.
Sprout Picker
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Si Robin wrote:

My understanding is that when opened it was 1,100. Then after the Chester Cup game and the League game vs the Gas when injury time goals for both away sides saw fans easily spilling on to the pitch the wall was put up, which means we can no longer sell the front row of seats which has reduced the capacity.
Why would we be unable to sell the front row of seats in the Hazlewoods stand? The perimeter wall is a long way from the seats.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sprout Picker wrote:
Why would we be unable to sell the front row of seats in the Hazlewoods stand? The perimeter wall is a long way from the seats.
No idea. Thought I recalled that being reported at the time. Maybe I am confusing it with either end of the CF.

Regardless, FGR official reports say they have sold out and will have ‘over 870’ fans so whatever is going on the capacity can’t be 1,100.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
kiaora84 wrote:We have stagnated over the last few years and they are on the rise no surprises their fan base is growing whilst ours seems to be dropping off. That happens when you fail to build on success or don’t offer value for money.

On another note, I had an interesting chat with somebody close to Carl Winchester the other day, who suggested that whilst money was a big factor, the main reason for going was his relationship with GJ.

By all accounts he couldn’t stand him and more than likely would of stayed had McCann or Duff got the job prior to his exit.

I am sure old turncoat will be able to verify this with his best mate Dale.
Take with a pinch of salt of course. No player or people close to them are going to straight up say “Yes I’m a mercenary who doesn’t care about either club and just moved for the money”. Presenting a reason based on footballing differences a much better look for the player and the new club. Same as the classic “moving to be closer to family” and we know first hand a player may say that then move in the opposite direction for a pay cheque.
Robin
Sprout Picker wrote:
No idea. Thought I recalled that being reported at the time. Maybe I am confusing it with either end of the CF.

Regardless, FGR official reports say they have sold out and will have ‘over 870’ fans so whatever is going on the capacity can’t be 1,100.
Could easilly be we are leaving a buffer zone between fans to increase segregation given recent crowd trouble.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:
Sprout Picker wrote:

Could easilly be we are leaving a buffer zone between fans to increase segregation given recent crowd trouble.
All will be revealed tomorrow.
Ben3
Stewards - please take note. This is Phil Mitchell, Forest Green's number one superfan. Be on the look out in case he tries to sneak in...

http://i2.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article ... ans-26.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Southstander
As he’s not banned from traveling to the game I fully expect Phil to be drinking in Cheltenham beforehand, now you all know what he looks like you can all go over and say hello
Robin
I'm expecting FGR not to be allowed in the pubs around the ground tomorrow like last season to be honest so unless he drinks in town I doubt he will have much joy.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
As long we get £21 out of the ticket he has bought I don’t care where he drinks or whether he is allowed anywhere near the ground or not. Just as long as the seat is used and paid for. Be daft if we don’t get the money and an FGR fan is denied the chance to use his seat.
Ben3
SHANDY VOR wrote:You should be. Know your enemy and all that. Do you think that Churchill refused to listen to Hitler's rants because he thought the chap was a bit of a wrong 'un?

Hang on, this analogy doesn't work. The fans are the Citizens, and your manager would be the Churchill equivalent. You wouldn't want normal people listen to that madman. But to be honest I don't really know if people were allowed to listen to Hitler's speeches during the war, and then not many would understand him anyway.

Are there are posters on here that were alive during the second world war at any age where they would remember this sort of thing. Nesty?
And this is why Shandy is so welcome on this board :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The Old TomCat wrote:Mark Cooper's pre-match interview where he is very complimentary towards Cheltenham and manager Duff
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1jxquATiWs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If by ‘very complimentary’ you mean ‘makes fleeting reference when prompted by interviewers’.

Usual non-entity of an interview from underachieving Coops.

His post defeat interview tomorrow will be interesting. Here is what I think he will blame and in what order:

- The referee.
- The slope.
- The players.
- The fans.
- The weather.
- The number of games in the last week.
- Our players being too tall and physical.
SHANDY VOR
What about the pitch.

Losers always blame the pitch.
little mo
Getting a little bit worried about tickets now. I always stand on the PRE and pay on the gate, no problem getting in. But thinking about it, both teams playing well,xmas holidays as well, is it likely to be a much bigger crowd than we thought,or more to the point,is it likely to get full? Driving down from Yorkshire so will be right peed off if full.
Ben3
Hi little Mo - I dont know this for a fact but I'd stake a lot of money on it - absolutely NO CHANCE it will sell out tomorrow.

Absolutely NO CHANCE!!!!

Even in our big cup games there is room for a few more

(If I am wrong you have my ticket tomorrow :) )
theidlerich
...................wow.................and there's little me posting this just to remind the "chosen predictive few" to post on the 'real' thread!
Fascinating to read and enjoy the dialogue.
Trust everyone enjoys the game and the best team wins [CTFC of course....:)]
little mo
Ben3 wrote:Hi little Mo - I dont know this for a fact but I'd stake a lot of money on it - absolutely NO CHANCE it will sell out tomorrow.

Absolutely NO CHANCE!!!!

Even in our big cup games there is room for a few more

(If I am wrong you have my ticket tomorrow :) )
Ben, I THINK you are right but I just have a feeling it is going to be a lot busier than most of us thought a couple of weeks ago. However I am well known as a bit of a worrier :roll: . COYR