Catering

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

ian
Decided to get a burger and chips during half time of the mk dons match.
First time I have used the new caterers, bearing in mind the halal issue brought up on here a few weeks back.
There was a hair in the chips and a hard lump of something in the burger.
Took it back to the van and the response was 'okay'.
No apology
No offer of a refund or another item
Just 'okay'
Safe to say I, along with all my friends I go to the football with, will never be purchasing another item at the ground.
Annoying since I hope a portion of the sales goes to the club.
All it took was a sorry or another portion of chips but oh well.
Prefer forest greens 'food' now
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
No doubt the CF will be full but the catering company will only open one canteen hatch making the one they do open unusable.

Time to bring the catering in house. Open both hatches (one drinks only) every week and retain all profit for the club. The outsourcing to cost cutting firms does not work.

Probably the easiest way for the club to make extra money on match days but not when it is outsourced to idiots.
Robin
I have to say the catering has declined since it started. I rarely eat there but for example no salads available on burgers, empty sauce bottles etc. Also no beer available on draft. Areas we could get better with over time I am sure.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I have to say the catering has declined since it started. I rarely eat there but for example no salads available on burgers, empty sauce bottles etc. Also no beer available on draft. Areas we could get better with over time I am sure.
The more you invest in quality of product and service the more people will use it. Once you start a spiral of cost cutting, leading to worse quality and fewer customers and less revenue, meaning more cost cutting leading to worse quality and so on it will only end one way.
Nham68
The one thing that would be simple, quick, tasty, profitable is Cornish Pasties.
Easy to heat en masses before game and prior to half time.
Simple to serve (quick, no slapping bits in a bun etc)
Can offer a variety of types so widen the potential customer base (e.g vegetarian options too).
Suitable for kids too.
Plenty of quality wholesalers.
That’s why train / bus stations et al serve them.

That and aggborough soup, franchise that one = winner .

Best think I’ve ever consumed at a football ground.
SHANDY VOR
The food was very poor when we were at your ground, and it certainly didn't come with a smile. Got so bad I once brought in pie and chips from Simpsons, with a flat cutlery and tommy k in my unchecked rucksack.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
SHANDY VOR wrote:The food was very poor when we were at your ground, and it certainly didn't come with a smile. Got so bad I once brought in pie and chips from Simpsons, with a flat cutlery and tommy k in my unchecked rucksack.
Reminds me of when we went to Hereford straight after work. We stocked up on McDonald’s on the way to the ground. The Stewards on the gate said “you’ve been here before!” when we carried our food into the game.
London Exile
The catering from EFC started off ok but it’s become pretty c!#p the last few years. I guess the club are happy enough with the income they get so there’s little pressure on EFC to improve.
It links back to your point about attendances RCS, what do the club do to entice supporters to the ground when you can’t guarantee what will be served up during 90 minutes (which has been shite by and large for 4/5 years!)
I don’t know why the club don’t look at taking the catering in house working with Gloscat and the students on catering courses. Either that or put each outlet up for individual rent and see what takers there are.
I went to Salford earlier in the season and there were 4 different catering outlets behind the home end offering plenty of choice.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
London Exile wrote:The catering from EFC started off ok but it’s become pretty c!#p the last few years. I guess the club are happy enough with the income they get so there’s little pressure on EFC to improve.
It links back to your point about attendances RCS, what do the club do to entice supporters to the ground when you can’t guarantee what will be served up during 90 minutes (which has been shite by and large for 4/5 years!)
I don’t know why the club don’t look at taking the catering in house working with Gloscat and the students on catering courses. Either that or put each outlet up for individual rent and see what takers there are.
I went to Salford earlier in the season and there were 4 different catering outlets behind the home end offering plenty of choice.
Two great ideas London Exile. Basic things which can make a big difference to the perception of the club and the fans’ experience.
RubyRedRobin
Sounds like an issue for the trust tbh! They’re the ones with the board voting power (through the fan elected director), and as a result I think our gripes as fans should be channeled through them as a matter of course.

The FED/trust could for example at the mild end could suggest to the rest of the board/caterer to improve quality, and at the really quite spicy end could put a bid in for running the enterprise when the current contract runs out. Not only would it give fans a say as to the menu is but also would allow us to request better quality food. Furthermore it would be a good way for the trust to be visible with the fairweather fans who only care about the football side of the club and would be a dead good moneyspinner for the trust!

Just my 2 cents, if any of you guys have any points against this I’d much appreciate them!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
RubyRedRobin wrote:Sounds like an issue for the trust tbh! They’re the ones with the board voting power (through the fan elected director), and as a result I think our gripes as fans should be channeled through them as a matter of course.

The FED/trust could for example at the mild end could suggest to the rest of the board/caterer to improve quality, and at the really quite spicy end could put a bid in for running the enterprise when the current contract runs out. Not only would it give fans a say as to the menu is but also would allow us to request better quality food. Furthermore it would be a good way for the trust to be visible with the fairweather fans who only care about the football side of the club and would be a dead good moneyspinner for the trust!

Just my 2 cents, if any of you guys have any points against this I’d much appreciate them!
A Trust run enterprise is a tremendous idea. By the fans for the fans.

For example, Trust could run one of kiosks EFC don’t as a fast moving coffee and tea station. A couple of old cafe style coffee filter machines and jugs. Much nicer than the pre-packed instant stuff. Sell it for £1.50. Trust could even sell reusable coffee cups which would generate some income and reduce costs through not needing to buy in paper cups etc.

As suggested by LE, local bakers could supply some pasties and cookies. Again, quick turnover and no queues.

I am sure plenty of people who don’t want to bother queuing 15 mins to buy overpriced poor quality hot drinks from EFC would happily pay less for a better coffee with less waiting time if they knew it was going to the Trust.

Glos Cricket and Rugby sell reusable pint glasses which people take to matches. Some bog standard reusable mugs with a Trust logo on, sell for £5 a pop a little bit of income. And if people use them elsewhere in life it is free advertising for the Trust.

And your point about having a visible Trust activity acting as a touch point between the Trust and fans can only help the Trust in even terms of profile and membership.
Jerry St Clair
There will certainly be a bigger crowd than usual tomorrow, so I cannot understand why the club wouldn't invite some local traders to bring their mobile units in. Plenty of space behind the PRE, in the car park and at the Hazelwoods entrance. The traders would be guaranteed a decent day, the club make some easy money selling pitches and fans get more variety and shorter queues.

The only reason I can think of not to do it is if the current caterers have an exclusivity clause in their contract. In which case......d'oh.
Robin
A burger bar on Whaddon Road may do decent business for larger attended matches.
theidlerich
After two or three occasions when I received soggy luke warm chips and cool 'hot' chocolate -no lids available - I have also given up buying from the kiosk in the CF stand.
Surely someone within CTFC management or Board members are aware of the dire nature of fare available? I would not recognise any of the current management or Board members; but ask whether they actually venture out to see fans arriving and chat to the odd one or two to get a feel/flavour of opinions.
When there was an issue a couple of seasons ago [?] on turnstiles and crowding, I recall Simon Masding being there to see for himself the operations to feed back information. Surely a few could emerge and engage; not just to peruse this site and threads. Some half decent ideas on here, so hopefully we may see some action in the near future.
Shade
It could be an easy bit of money for someone. Nip down Booker's the day before a game and stock up. It's not rocket science, is it.
RubyRedRobin
Shade wrote:It could be an easy bit of money for someone. Nip down Booker's the day before a game and stock up. It's not rocket science, is it.
Exactly, surely since it’s doable it should be run by a venture that has the well-being of its fans at heart? It wouldn’t be unfeasible that the trust could run such an operation. It would also give a good stable income to the trust who have us and the club at heart!
Del Boy
Wonder if all these people who think the trust running the catering is a good idea would be willing to forego watching the match to serve drinks/food??? Or are they suggesting the same old volunteers spend their days prior to the game preparing everything and then serving while the rest watch the match???

These ideas might sound good but most don't work in practice. Bringing the catering 'in-house' might sound like another good plan but completely unworkable for a venue attracting relatively low customer base for 20-odd days a year.

Some people seem to think the board members are naive in the extreme when most run successful businesses and understand the realities.
asl
And it really, REALLY, isn't as simple as "getting a job-lot of pasties from Booker and selling them on match day."

But I'm sure everyone knows that.
Shade
But it isn't that difficult, either. Be clean, cook it thoroughly. And they don't have to be volunteers if it's run properly.
asl
"Being clean and cooking it thoroughly" is not enough. You need food standards certification. Licensing. Insurance. And that's just for starters. I'm not saying it's impossible - but it's not simple and I bet overheads take care of the bulk of revenue leaving you with precious little margin and a notoriously fickle customer base.
Shade
I think you'll find being clean and cooking it thoroughly takes care of the certificates, licencing and insurance. Sure, there's outlay but it shouldn't take too long to make it back. Note: shouldn't.
Lord Elpuz
The Robins Nest Bar serve hot food up to about 14:30 on Saturday match days - not sure of finishing time on weekday matches, but hot food is available then as well. I can thoroughly recommend the bar meals in Robins Nest Bar, clean, hot, plentiful and on a proper plate.
asl
I'm going back to convincing Mal that the Earth is round. Reckon I'll have more luck there...
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Del Boy wrote:Wonder if all these people who think the trust running the catering is a good idea would be willing to forego watching the match to serve drinks/food??? Or are they suggesting the same old volunteers spend their days prior to the game preparing everything and then serving while the rest watch the match???

These ideas might sound good but most don't work in practice. Bringing the catering 'in-house' might sound like another good plan but completely unworkable for a venue attracting relatively low customer base for 20-odd days a year.

Some people seem to think the board members are naive in the extreme when most run successful businesses and understand the realities.
Just because the Trust operate it doesn’t mean it has to be volunteer or Trust member who works there.

Why would in house not work? The model doesn’t have to be any different from EFC; employ people to work match days and order stock accordingly.
RubyRedRobin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Del Boy wrote:Wonder if all these people who think the trust running the catering is a good idea would be willing to forego watching the match to serve drinks/food??? Or are they suggesting the same old volunteers spend their days prior to the game preparing everything and then serving while the rest watch the match???

Just because the Trust operate it doesn’t mean it has to be volunteer or Trust member who works there.

Why would in house not work? The model doesn’t have to be any different from EFC; employ people to work match days and order stock accordingly.
Completely with RCS here, in the ownership structure could easily mean that in this case the trust employ people (on match days) to operate it. It needn’t be volunteers/members. The profits from which get reinvested back into the trust.
Scarface
Lol......
ctfc-fan
It’s not easy to employ staff for potentially one day out of 14. The difficulty would be getting people to commit to that for the small amount of pay they would receive.

Contactless vending machines would be an option, selling crisps, chocolate and hot and cold drinks.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alternatively, the Trust kiosk could close just before 3pm and not open again until just after half time. The Trust buys an aisle seat in the CF. Whichever volunteer is working that day gets to that seat before kick off and back in behind the counter at half time without missing action

Vending machines would work if quick enough; trouble is for coffee and hot drinks they are too slow. Having a filter jug and pouring into a reusable cup and taking payment by card/contactless/ApplePay is the quickest option for hot drinks.

There are different ways of making it work and the best way may not be found until the thing is up and running. Type of thing one just needs to do and see what happens and ignoring the usual naysayers and doubters.
SHANDY VOR
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Alternatively, the Trust kiosk could close just before 3pm and not open again until just after half time. The Trust buys an aisle seat in the CF. Whichever volunteer is working that day gets to that seat before kick off and back in behind the counter at half time without missing action.
That's like owning a pub and deciding to close it on Saturday nights. People start queuing before half time and food needs to cook, queues don't subside until after the start whistle has gone. This is no way to run a business. As usual you've not thought this one through SRC, its just a stream of unconsciousness
Ben3
I’d echo del and asl’s comments. It’s a good idea but it is not as easy as some are making out (from someone who has set up a cafe, that is).

I think the issue of fan ownership is a big one , one i’m very much in favour of, and could be more than a fan on the board or controlling the snack bars (though they are an interesting start). But that needs thought and, above all, leadership from someone who knows what they are doing.

I vote mal , flat earth and all
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
SHANDY VOR wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Alternatively, the Trust kiosk could close just before 3pm and not open again until just after half time. The Trust buys an aisle seat in the CF. Whichever volunteer is working that day gets to that seat before kick off and back in behind the counter at half time without missing action.
That's like owning a pub and deciding to close it on Saturday nights. People start queuing before half time and food needs to cook, queues don't subside until after the start whistle has gone. This is no way to run a business. As usual you've not thought this one through SRC, its just a stream of unconsciousness
You missed the point where I said this idea was drinks only, or pasties in an oven, with quick service and thus minimal queues. People queue before half time as the queues and service take ages. By selling only three products and taking card only queues go quickly. The aim should be that any catering needs to enable fans who want to buy a hot drink to buy it without missing any of the match. A model which means people miss some of the games is by its design a failed model.

Not at all saying this idea is the best solution, it is just one of several suggestions from several posters on this thread. Posters who are interested in improving the situation. But ideas are needed to improve things and naysayers who are too stuck in the mud contribute nothing to that. Best advice I ever hear from successful entrepreneurs is not to let naysayers and doubters keep you down. This has been the problem at CTFC for years.

As with the different ideas on this thread, discussion of pros and cons and what appeals only emerges after a stream of consciousness. I haven’t thought it through as this is a brainstorming thread. Unfortunately, rather than anymore than the first few contributors the thread as been derailed from idea generation to doom and gloom naysaying.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben3 wrote:I’d echo del and asl’s comments. It’s a good idea but it is not as easy as some are making out (from someone who has set up a cafe, that is).

I think the issue of fan ownership is a big one , one i’m very much in favour of, and could be more than a fan on the board or controlling the snack bars (though they are an interesting start). But that needs thought and, above all, leadership from someone who knows what they are doing.

I vote mal , flat earth and all
Pour coffee from jug into mug. I used to run a cafe, being first in to get the espresso machines up to temperature and pressure, washing up, closing up, ordering stock for the fridge etc. But I am not suggesting any of that. Purely suggesting filter coffee and tea which anyone can prepare and pour.
Shade
I just really don't understand how people can make it out to be such a hard thing. Clubs of all levels, even 4, 5 levels below us, do it without any trouble. It is not rocket science. You can tell that from the sheer number of cafe's, restaurants, burger vans, takeaways etc etc out there. To be honest I always thought it would be better to do away with permanent in-ground catering and allow a few guys with vans to drive in on matchdays. The only stand you couldn't amend for that would be the CF, I'd imagine.
Scarface
RCS you are seriously making my laugh.

Moan about the current quality and menu choice, then come up with the idea of pasties and filter coffee ... hahahahaha

Cheltenham is a Declining customer base, 20 days trade (12.30-4pm) through 365 days and an incredible high rent which is increased YoY....the club make enough form the rent alone and not have to worry about running the operation. Regular cash injection every month.

League one with Big away teams are the only real money spinners.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Scarface wrote:RCS you are seriously making my laugh.

Moan about the current quality and menu choice, then come up with the idea of pasties and filter coffee ... hahahahaha

Cheltenham is a Declining customer base, 20 days trade (12.30-4pm) through 365 days and an incredible high rent which is increased YoY....the club make enough form the rent alone and not have to worry about running the operation. Regular cash injection every month.

League one with Big away teams are the only real money spinners.
Just ideas mate. With all the unused space and shut kiosks one would hope the club would let the Trust do something rent free.

As for quality - or sure what you have against filter coffee. Maybe you don’t drink proper coffee but even in the North East people pay £3 or more for a good filter coffee at an independent cafe who change their roasts and blends every week. A good fresh grind and brew at £1.50 or £2 would be better than any hot drink I have seen at any club and certainly better than the cr@p currently mislabelled as coffee.

Anyway, happy to throw up a straw man and have it debated and challenged. What I will now ask is what ideas do you have to improve the quality, the queue times and the customer experience? Rather than just joining the line of doom and gloom critics, why not add your own suggestions to the thread.