Cheltenham Town v Forest Green Rovers

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this afternoon: http://bit.ly/FGRHome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ben3
Their support is silent!!! Are there 78 or 780???

Bizarre!!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben3 wrote:Their support is silent!!! Are there 78 or 780???

Bizarre!!
Probably the first away trip for many of the eco tourists. Plus our insisting on allocated seats will have stopped the few proper fans they do have congregating together.
asl
I said the same to the guy on the other side of the pitch when I heard him saying similar. Are we going to have another childish argument about our fans generating a lot of noise, now...?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:I said the same to the guy on the other side of the pitch when I heard him saying similar. Are we going to have another childish argument about our fans generating a lot of noise, now...?
C&G roof to blame if you cannot hear our lads.
asl
Well, so far FGR are by far the better side and Flinders only knows how we're still level. Their players seem to have the freedom of the park and we're all over the place nog knowing whether to go to the man or defend the area. Forster has been AWFUL so far, in a game where none of our players have shone.
Ben3
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Forest green fecked it up AGAIN hahahahaha
Horteng
Ben3 wrote:Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Forest green fecked it up AGAIN hahahahaha
Your obsessed with FGR
King giraffe iii
Cracking second half. Disappointed that we gave you two goals but it was no more than I expected.

Addai is something special.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Two nil and they f#!$ it up.

Another game unbeaten. We got away with the poor performance and bad goals. Take the point and move onwards to the hapless Way’s Yeovil. A great chance to put real daylight between ourselves and the relegation battle below us.
Benctfc
Entertaining game Forest Green were miles better than us technically. All 4 goals were soft Tozer lost possession twice in poor areas leading to their one on ones and goals and and their keeper manged to drop an easy ball for our second.
Delighted with 4 points from our last 2 games.
Ben3
A more rational view now - FGR vastly better side in first half. Should’ve been 2-0 up.

Second half we played better, two mistakes led to their two goals. And then they just combusted, I was shocked that we got back in to it.

Motm was flinders, nige played well a couple of mistakes aside

A word for Forster. Awful first half, looked like manny on roller skates. But fair play second half he didn’t let us down. That shows character

Hey ho, 4 points v second and sixth, a good return for the festive period. We’ll finish 8-12th
Shade
Forster did let us down second half. If he'd had the vrains to take a step forward when 1 on 2 for the second goal the scorer would have been offside, but he ran backwards and played him on. Dull defending. God knows why we keep giving him the ball going forward.
King giraffe iii
Ben3 wrote:A more rational view now - FGR vastly better side in first half. Should’ve been 2-0 up.

Second half we played better, two mistakes led to their two goals. And then they just combusted, I was shocked that we got back in to it.

A word for Forster. Awful first half, looked like manny on roller skates. But fair play second half he didn’t let us down. That shows character

Hey ho, 4 points v second and sixth, a good return for the festive period. We’ll finish 8-12th
You'll be absolutely fine. No doubt about it. Duff is doing a great job. See you next season!
Shade
We had a chance in the first half I still don't know how it didn't go in. Ended up a corner so I assume someone threw themselves in front of it. Looked for all the world like we'd scored. Not debating FGR were the better team overall but I don't think it was quite as one-sided as some think it was.
King giraffe iii
Shade wrote:We had a chance in the first half I still don't know how it didn't go in. Ended up a corner so I assume someone threw themselves in front of it. Looked for all the world like we'd scored. Not debating FGR were the better team overall but I don't think it was quite as one-sided as some think it was.
I thought it was pretty even, tbf.
asl
Second half Forster was miles better than the first.

They played with eleven outfield players as we were content to let their keeper stroll up to the centre circle to distribute the ball time after time after time. Most frustrating to watch.
vickeryc
I think they were marginally better overall but probably not one goal better!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben3 wrote:A more rational view now - FGR vastly better side in first half. Should’ve been 2-0 up.

Given that Manny is a giraffe on roller skates, does this mean Forster was on double skates?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Forster did let us down second half. If he'd had the vrains to take a step forward when 1 on 2 for the second goal the scorer would have been offside, but he ran backwards and played him on. Dull defending. God knows why we keep giving him the ball going forward.
Addai shot blocked, defender stopping a “certain goal” according to JP on Twitter.
Robin
Felt a draw was fair on balance of play. They had no real threat in front of goal first half despite some neat midfield play, we could have been one nil up had Addei not seen his effort cleared off the line. Second half we looked comfortable before gifting them two goals, then they duly returned the favour.

I agree FGR technically better in the midfield but very toothless up front as they never really looked like scoring for the first sixty minutes.

Hussey my man of the match, closely followed by Atangana.
Robin
asl wrote:Well, so far FGR are by far the better side and Flinders only knows how we're still level. Their players seem to have the freedom of the park and we're all over the place nog knowing whether to go to the man or defend the area. Forster has been AWFUL so far, in a game where none of our players have shone.
Forgetting the Addei effort cleared off the line ASL and the fact Flinders didn't have a notable save to make first half other than rushing out to smother the ball? Agree they were technically better than us though.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:
asl wrote:Well, so far FGR are by far the better side and Flinders only knows how we're still level. Their players seem to have the freedom of the park and we're all over the place nog knowing whether to go to the man or defend the area. Forster has been AWFUL so far, in a game where none of our players have shone.
Forgetting the Addei effort cleared off the line ASL and the fact Flinders didn't have a notable save to make first half other than rushing out to smother the ball? Agree they were technically better than us though.
Addai.
Robin
Cheers RCS, think I've had a few too many beers today.
Hubert Parry
That might be true, but you've spelt it that way since he joined.
Jerry St Clair
Cheltenham were 75-1 to win on Betfair at 2-0. That’s how comfortable it was for FGR on 70 mins. The points were on the coach and the engine was running. I’d be absolutely fuming if I were an FGR fan tonight.
Ben3
It would be churlish to not respect their good players. Brown was good - Williams clearly a class apart. His movement off the ball was very good.

Winnie reverted to type - an average midfielder dragging his team down.

The keeper thing was well managed by Duff. DO NOT CLOSE HIM DOWN. He wears the gloves for a reason - he is the shittest footballer in their team. LET HIM HAVE IT!!!!!!! He kept pinging it out of play, an awful tactic countered by Duff's instruction to Barnett, Addai and Varney.

Its hard to imagine a footballer having a worse half than Forster in the first half so all respect to him for showing up and improving second half. And RCS - I think (if I am correct) it is "Manny is like Jaap Stam wearing roller skates...who was riding a Giraffe who is also wearing roller skates...". So:

"The first half today Forster was like a giraffe wearing roller skates hitching a lift on Manny, who was riding a giraffe wearing roller skates, who in turn was riding Jap Staam*

(*Jaap Stam was, at this point - was also wearing roller skates)
Jerry St Clair
Ben3 wrote:
The keeper thing was well managed by Duff. DO NOT CLOSE HIM DOWN. He wears the gloves for a reason - he is the shittest footballer in their team. LET HIM HAVE IT!!!!!!! He kept pinging it out of play, an awful tactic countered by Duff's instruction to Barnett, Addai and Varney
I did wonder if the instructions to stand off him were coming from Duff. It was doing my head in at the time, but looking back you’re probably right. His lumps upfield weren’t all that threatening and the only way to counter it was to put two men on him and the defender - which would have pulled two of our players out of position which was probably their intention.
longmover
Ctfc seemed to have got into a habit of giving the ball away just inside their own half, they were doing a lot against MK but weren't punished for it unlike today when they were.
Ben3
Jerry St Clair wrote:
Ben3 wrote:
The keeper thing was well managed by Duff. DO NOT CLOSE HIM DOWN. He wears the gloves for a reason - he is the shittest footballer in their team. LET HIM HAVE IT!!!!!!! He kept pinging it out of play, an awful tactic countered by Duff's instruction to Barnett, Addai and Varney
I did wonder if the instructions to stand off him were coming from Duff. It was doing my head in at the time, but looking back you’re probably right. His lumps upfield weren’t all that threatening and the only way to counter it was to put two men on him and the defender - which would have pulled two of our players out of position which was probably their intention.
Exactly this!! On the floor he was picking passes, after 35 minutes our front line got the message which meant from then on he was limited to a long diagonal (first half Forster had a mare so it was effective, second half Forster got to grips and so it was the worst tactice ever :lol: ).

BTW - Duff was on Addai and Barnett from minute 1 trying to get them to listen, he was doing his nut :shock:
Si Robin
Robin wrote:
You've said this a couple of time about Flinders not having a save to make in the first half, but there were at least two 1-on-1s that he did fantastically with by being quick off his line and smothering the ball, along with one excellent save from a rocket that the FGR lad had all the time in the World to hit. Flinders was the sole reason it was 0-0 at half-time.

Talking with a few in the Colin Farmer bar at half-time and it was pretty much agreed that if it was a boxing match then at half-time we were behind on points, but not being battered.

Second half I thought we looked the better team and Tozer's mistake saw their first goal against the run of play - after that they looked much more composed and the second appeared to kill the game off. In fact, had their lad not made the error to give us a route back into the game, then I think it would have finished 2-0. Varney's goal was taken brilliantly though and after that was the only time we had them on the ropes and I think we more than deserved our equaliser.

After the equaliser it was great to see both teams properly going for it and 2-2 I think was a fair result in the end.
Jerry St Clair
Goals are here:

https://www.skysports.com/football/live ... -two-goals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
drgm
ok Tozer slipped up but it was Forster that kept both their forwards onside for both goals

New right back please.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
drgm wrote:ok Tozer slipped up but it was Forster that kept both their forwards onside for both goals

New right back please.
Centre back you mean?

Long is first choice right back, and Broom and Thomas have been playing that role too.