5,125 attendance

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Great stuff.
Shade
If only it could be that more often. Cooper bleating on there was no atmosphere until they scored. Even more ironic given the lack of atmos at his own clubs ground. More sour grapes as the atmosphere was decent all game I thought, but really came alive late on.
drgm
and that was the highest number of FGR fans ever to have paid for a match ticket
asl
Shade wrote:the atmosphere was decent all game I thought, but really came alive late on.
Yes, I agree. Deathly quiet until FGR got their first - that's when the noise started. By the end there was a proper match-day atmosphere - good to hear!
Robin
The thing is FGR is full of plastic fans who only discovered the club over the last few years. They turn up with their balloons, scarves, bobble hats and think that is supporting a team. I don't think they made any noise at all until they scored a goal and went deathly quiet again once we scored. I felt our fans were fairly quiet today but the C&G were loud although I felt the songs about Winchesters mate dying were totally out of order.

Very notable to compare our support versus theirs today.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:The thing is FGR is full of plastic fans who only discovered the club over the last few years. They turn up with their balloons, scarves, bobble hats and think that is supporting a team. I don't think they made any noise at all until they scored a goal and went deathly quiet again once we scored. I felt our fans were fairly quiet today but the C&G were loud although I felt the songs about Winchesters mate dying were totally out of order.

Very notable to compare our support versus theirs today.
Shameful and sickening chants about CW’s mate. Yes he is a snake who should have got some football related stick but crossing the line from football to personal life is not on.
Robin
I fully agree with you, felt it was in very bad taste.
Jerry St Clair
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Shameful and sickening chants about CW’s mate. Yes he is a snake who should have got some football related stick but crossing the line from football to personal life is not on.
Didn’t hear that, but if so that’s shameful.
Si Robin
I also didn't hear anything, but I join others in condemning it if it did happen.
Robin
It definitely did happen but probably only 30-40 (perhaps being generous hard to tell) by the drum who were chanting it.
asl
Surely not the "passionate youngsters" who are "the future of our club" and who were "just creating an atmosphere"...?
Robin
I'm condemning the chanting ASL but not sure it was the same group who were in the tent at FGR to your point.
Ben3
I didn’t hear this.

I did see pitch invasions and flares lit in the FGR end. Can we play the fixture behind closed doors next year to stop this hooligan element that come with them year on year? Dale Vince bank rolls the club, I’m not sure he wants to be associated with the annual festival of disorder they bring????

If he does then so be it. Maybe hooligans are the green image he is working towards? It’s a bit unsavoury

Dale - do you support the flares and pitch invasions? If not can you tell us (as a settled football league club) what you can do to stop this happening every year?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben3 wrote:I didn’t hear this.

I did see pitch invasions and flares lit in the FGR end. Can we play the fixture behind closed doors next year to stop this hooligan element that come with them year on year? Dale Vince bank rolls the club, I’m not sure he wants to be associated with the annual festival of disorder they bring????

If he does then so be it. Maybe hooligans are the green image he is working towards? It’s a bit unsavoury

Dale - do you support the flares and pitch invasions? If not can you tell us (as a settled football league club) what you can do to stop this happening every year?
From the FGR forum re flare:

“My heart felt thanks to the moron who let off a green flare in the away end when FGR scored their first goal.
At the time it made my eyes water plus induce a coughing fit. (Also I still have a sore throat and green snot when I blow my nose.)
It would have been nice if the perpetrator had considered that, as the Cheltenham allocated seating policy was enforced, there was no choice as to my seat position.”

I think that all of this plays into DV’s hands. He can now double down on banning people.
Jerry St Clair
Ben3 wrote:I didn’t hear this.

“Festival of disorder” !?

<not sure if serious>

One flare and one bloke falling over the hoardings when they scored. Other than that it was as sedate as you could expect an away crowd to be at any game, let alone a local derby. Christ knows how you’d cope at Millwall v West Ham, mate.
Ben3
Millwall, Leeds, Newcastle, Everton, Swindon, Bristol x2

Teams we have welcomed without any trouble at all

Does Dale Vince like the fact that he is bank rolling a hooligan element? It’s not a ‘green’ or ‘social’ method. Is he going to come out and support his hooligans as part of his (ridiculous!) ‘GREEN MISSION’????
Robin
Jeez it was a smoke bomb not a flare. Must admit the Forest Green fans I saw were largely all over sixty or under sixteen as Jerry says couldn't imagine a less threatening away crowd today. I didn't see any trouble all day although it was pretty clear we had a lot of cvf out looking for it as Sudeley was packed full of them and plenty of police keeping a close eye on things.
asl
Robin wrote:Jeez it was a smoke bomb
I had to queue for the Paddock, today. Whilst waiting, I idly read the terms and conditions of entry that are prominently displayed at the entrance. Banned items - those prohibited from being taken in - include knives, fireworks, SMOKE BOMBS, flares, etc. (My capitalisation for emphasis.)

I'm shocked that there isn't a similar notice at the entrance to the away end and feel the club should look into this shortfall as a matter of urgency.
Ben3
Asl, rcs and a few others get this! A few don’t :(

I repeat - if Dale Vince wants to be associated with the hooligan element that attended today and set off flares and invaded the pitch - so be it

Ctfc don’t have this problem with any other team. I’d be very surprised if Ecotricity want to continue being associated with this. So, as I said, dale it is up to you:

Will you condemn the hooligans today who set off flares and invaded the pitch?

If it’s not forthcoming then I guess the guardian will report on it this weekend
Red Duke
Robin wrote:Jeez it was a smoke bomb not a flare.
I am sorry but that really shows your ignorance of the chemicals used in smoke bombs and the hazards associated with these chemicals in vapour form.
King giraffe iii
Ben, both clubs attract an element that come out for the big games to cause hassle. I was challenged by kids walking into the town centre, demanding if I was FGR or Cheltenham. They told me they'd 'punch your f'ing face' if I was FGR. What am I? Just a guy without team colours passing by at midday. I also saw an FGR fan with his kids being verbally abused as he walked up near the Sudeley.

Is your chairman going to come out and condemn these fans? I wouldn't expect him to. By and large it's beyond his control. I really don't see the purpose in point scoring on this one.
Player2 Has Joined
Going back to the original post, wasn't it nice to have a game that was entertaining in front of a big crowd for once? I might be wrong, but recently when we've had a bigger crowd in, we've generally frozen, or the game has been pretty dire. Hopefully might see a few more coming through the gates on the back of an entertaining game.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Player2 Has Joined wrote:Going back to the original post, wasn't it nice to have a game that was entertaining in front of a big crowd for once? I might be wrong, but recently when we've had a bigger crowd in, we've generally frozen, or the game has been pretty dire. Hopefully might see a few more coming through the gates on the back of an entertaining game.
Yup, a game which ended up living up to the hype and expectation of the large crowd.
Jerry St Clair
On a few other threads there’s been mention of empty seats in the FGR end but, as mentioned elsewhere, there were clearly a group of FGR fans who congregated on the canteen side and were very definitely stood in the aisles with more people than seats.

But, apart from that, why the hell didn’t we sell them the block nearest the CF? Must have been 150 seats there that could’ve been sold. Was it a club decision or a police one?

Despite the hyperbole about River Plate-levels of violence, there’s no way that game warranted such a degree of segregation.
cheltsaxon
Decent attendace hope a few can come back and give Duff the extra pennies he needs to get this team flying up the league.