Some thoughts on the 3-1 defeat by Tranmere

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Can be read here: http://bit.ly/5ThingsTranmereHome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
Agree with all of that Jon, defensive midfield must surely be top priority right now too.
Lord Elpuz
Yes, a fine appraisal there from Jon.

All that I would add to that is a question mark over the substitutions. Unless there was an injury to Tyrone Barnett or fatigue setting in, I could not see why he was taken off. His presence kept Tranmere pinned back and his work rate especially when dropping back to disrupt Tranmere’s midfield was magnificent. He was my man of the match. Also, I didn’t understand why Alex Addai did not start (current player of the month), or why it took so long to introduce him when it was clear we needed to get into their back line. I felt for Ben Tozer, who’d been excellent in the first half and was the man to spray the crosses out wide that Nigel would normally play. The cross field passes from Tozer to Broom in the first half caused all manner of problems for their left back, but this threat was nullified in the second half when Tranmere matched our formation, and we didn’t seem to readjust our game plan. This was when Addai should have been introduced to keep Tranmere on their backfoot.
Shade
Only thing I can't understand is why we never stick a speedy/tricky player on McNulty. Sure, he'd get barged off his feet once or twice but law of averages would dictate he'd get past him at some point.
Red Duke
Shade wrote:Only thing I can't understand is why we never stick a speedy/tricky player on McNulty. Sure, he'd get barged off his feet once or twice but law of averages would dictate he'd get past him at some point.
That puzzles me. Surely Addai should have used to take him on.

When I watched the game at Prenton Park, I couldn't understand why we didn't exploit his lack of speed and mobility. So, it would appear that nothing was learnt from that game and recent matches watched by scouting staff.

He may just be able to read the game very well. Bobby Moore was accused of a lack of pace but made up with a football brain.
Fuller
Shade wrote:Only thing I can't understand is why we never stick a speedy/tricky player on McNulty. Sure, he'd get barged off his feet once or twice but law of averages would dictate he'd get past him at some point.
I always remember McNulty "rugby tackling" that young lad we had on loan from Liverpool in 2014/15. McNulty was playing for Luton back then, so four years on he must be even slower !
Shade
He's obviously got great sense of positioning and reading the game but if he's got someone like Addai running directly at him all he can do is try and take him out because he's not getting near the ball.