Next 7 Games

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
(A) Carlisle - 6th
(H) Macclesfield - 23rd
(H) Cambridge - 20th
(H) Yeovil -22nd
(A) Colchester - 4th
(A) Grimsby - 15th
(H) Port Vale - 19th

whats everyones forecast ?

I would hope for 4 wins and a draw
THECHOIRBOY
10-11 points and I would be very happy as will mean we are still moving upwards. One thing is for sure, we are unpredictable so I would be surprised if we did a full house of home wins against the teams also struggling!!
Johnsons Red Army
(A) Carlisle - 6th - LOSS
(H) Macclesfield - 23rd - WIN
(H) Cambridge - 20th - WIN
(H) Yeovil -22nd - WIN
(A) Colchester - 4th - LOSS
(A) Grimsby - 15th - DRAW
(H) Port Vale - 19th - WIN
bigdavejambo
at least 10 points from the 4 home games.
Artemis
If thats not the case, then we are probably in deep trouble.
THECHOIRBOY
Artemis wrote:If thats not the case, then we are probably in deep trouble.
I don't think so. We won't need much more than a point a game from here to stay up. So whilst the returns mentioned i would hope for i dont think it would be the end of the world if we just get 8 for example as i dont think those around us are suddenly going to get 14 and really close the gap.
Artemis
Except if we lose to Macc, Cambridge and Yeovil, we could we'll find ourselves in the bottom two, and with confidence shot.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The four home games have to be won. Failure in any of those and we deserve to go down.

Ergo 12 points minimum required in my view. Any away points a bonus.
THECHOIRBOY
The usual rationality I'd expect to see from the Nest.

It's rare we win four on the spin at home so not sure we have to do that! Equally the sides around us are also playing each other so we could arguably play about four or five more games and not pick up a point and still not be bottom

Note. I am not saying I want or expect this. But I am saying that as long as we pick them up I don't care where we get them from. I'd say 11-12 is realistic. Expecting to win all four at home is often what causes tension and frustration at home (and why we have been known to perform better against higher teams)
Lord Elpuz
We will be fine...

A) Carlisle - 6th - Draw 1-1 (1 point)
(H) Macclesfield - 23rd - WIN 2-0 (3 points)
(H) Cambridge - 20th - WIN 3-1 (3 points)
(H) Yeovil -22nd - WIN (4-2) (3 points)
(A) Colchester - 4th - LOSS 2-1 (0 points)
(A) Grimsby - 15th - LOSS 2-1 (0 points)
(H) Port Vale - 19th - WIN 3-2 (Barnett hat-trick - 3 points)

Points total = 13
Total after Port Vale game = 42

which by my reckoning will leave us with 6 home games to gain about 5 points for safety.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
THECHOIRBOY wrote:The usual rationality I'd expect to see from the Nest.

It's rare we win four on the spin at home so not sure we have to do that! Equally the sides around us are also playing each other so we could arguably play about four or five more games and not pick up a point and still not be bottom

Note. I am not saying I want or expect this. But I am saying that as long as we pick them up I don't care where we get them from. I'd say 11-12 is realistic. Expecting to win all four at home is often what causes tension and frustration at home (and why we have been known to perform better against higher teams)
What’s winning four in a row got to do with it. Look at the individual home games: whether they are four a row or two months between each, are you saying you are happy to not beat a bottom five side at home?

I criticised Gary for the home failures vs Barnet and FGR last season (amongst others) and I will equally disappointed not to win similar fixtures this season.

Unbelievable that you question the rationality of expecting to win home games against poor teams who are in the bottom four or five.
The Old TomCat
Interesting speculation.
Recent results indicate Cheltenham look well on course to remain in Football League.
SkyBet has Cheltenham to finish season 20th with 43 points:
https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/leag ... /predicted" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With regards the next seven matches Sky Bet has Cheltenham to secure 6 points from following predicted results:
Carlisle United 2 - 1 Cheltenham Town [0 pts]
Cheltenham Town 1 - 1 Macclesfield Town [1 pt]
Cheltenham Town 2 - 0 Cambridge United [3 pts]
Cheltenham Town 0 - 1 Yeovil Town [0 pts]
Colchester United 2 - 0 Cheltenham Town [0 pts]
Grimsby Town 1 - 1 Cheltenham Town [1 pt]
Cheltenham Town 0 - 0 Port Vale [1 pt]

I forecast 9 points with win v Yeovil.
Artemis
Add two more from the Macc game.
bigdavejambo
good chance certainly Port Vale may have changed manager by then so may be experiencing a 'new manager bounce' by our game.
Shade
I'll put us down for a point this weekend as I'm making the long trip on Friday and spending the rest of a long weekend in the Lakes. I reckon 1-1. As for the rest, bad feeling about Macc at home but think we will beat Cambridge, Yeovil and Notts. Draw at Grimsby, defeat and Colchester, victory against Vale to make up for the one we should have had at their gaff.

14 points. Maybe I'm being optimistic...
THECHOIRBOY
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
THECHOIRBOY wrote:The usual rationality I'd expect to see from the Nest.

What’s winning four in a row got to do with it. Look at the individual home games: whether they are four a row or two months between each, are you saying you are happy to not beat a bottom five side at home?

I criticised Gary for the home failures vs Barnet and FGR last season (amongst others) and I will equally disappointed not to win similar fixtures this season.

Unbelievable that you question the rationality of expecting to win home games against poor teams who are in the bottom four or five.
I will stick to my view. I think it's unlikely we will win all four at home. I hope we will. I don't expect it.

Why do i not expect it? Because history and data shows us winning four league games in a row at home is something we do not do often. We know you love data RCS! In fact the last time we did it was the last 5 games of the promotion winning season in Conference in 15/16 when we won 5 on the spin. The last time we did it in League 2 from my quick research appears to be March 2013.

Nearly 6 years ago. So based on that evidence my expectation would not be for us to win all 4 no; whoever it may be against!! So yes, I guess i am questioning rationality if we look at the information that could make a logical decision.
FOD_Wyman_2010
Don't think League 2 is as predictable as some think. Very unlikely to win all 4 home games. Macclesfield on a reasonable run under their new manager for example so will be hard to beat. Would be nice to get more but realistically I think it will be a mixed bag and grinding out points.

(A) Carlisle - 6th - Loss (0 points)
(H) Macclesfield - 23rd - Loss (0 points)
(H) Cambridge - 20th - Draw (1 point)
(H) Yeovil -22nd - Win (3 points)
(A) Colchester - 4th - Loss (0 points)
(A) Grimsby - 15th - Draw (1 point)
(H) Port Vale - 19th - Draw (1 point)

Total - 6 points.
Shade
FOD_Wyman_2010 wrote:Don't think League 2 is as predictable as some think.
He says, before making his own predictions.

It's so unpredictable, we could win all 6 or lose all 6. That's why we all have such different "predictions".
Jerry St Clair
What's wrong with you lot?

Grimsby is always a nailed on three points. We have the Indian sign on them.
CTFCfan99
Two wins, a draw and a defeat would be a good return fom those home games. We are at best a mid table side so I'd be very surprised if we won all four against teams fighting for their lives. I am happy to be proven wrong though!
Fuller
Jerry St Clair wrote:What's wrong with you lot?

Grimsby is always a nailed on three points. We have the Indian sign on them.
Well we lost at home and drew away to Grimsby last season.

I would not be surprised at all if we lost to a rapidly improving Macclesfield.
everyman
Nesty wrote:(A) Carlisle - 6th
(H) Macclesfield - 23rd
(H) Cambridge - 20th
(H) Yeovil -22nd
(A) Colchester - 4th
(A) Grimsby - 15th
(H) Port Vale - 19th

I`m worried that we might not win any of the next 3 games and the knives will be out ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
everyman wrote:
Nesty wrote:(A) Carlisle - 6th
(H) Macclesfield - 23rd
(H) Cambridge - 20th
(H) Yeovil -22nd
(A) Colchester - 4th
(A) Grimsby - 15th
(H) Port Vale - 19th

I`m worried that we might not win any of the next 3 games and the knives will be out ?
Definitely entering “not renewing season ticket territory” if we don’t beat either Macc or Cambridge at home.
Shade
2.5 weeks ago I'd have been confident of winning all of Macc, Cambridge, Yeovil, Port Vale and maybe Grimsby too, although they were on a high scoring run themselves then. The loss of Nige is huge, as is 2 of our own centre backs. We've lost 3 on the bounce in all comps since Nige.
vickeryc
When you analyse our results, only 7 points have been taken from teams currently in the top half of table (16 matches). Conversely, 22 points have been taken from teams in the bottom half (12 matches). To date, despite the blips against Crawley, we have been winning the more important games against teams around us near the foot of the table.
Malabus
I expect 2 points.
SHANDY VOR
In which game?
Nesty
Macclesfield and Cambridge are both doing well on current form while we have come off the rails, I hope money can be found to bridge the gap left by the injury to big Nige
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
We simply must beat least Yeovil.

After today’s shambles (worst result since Altrincham debacle?) if we have a double failure against Yeovil and Cambridge then even Morecambe will be confident of surviving ahead of us.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Yes!

RCS 1-0 Fate.

I tempted Fate with my above post and fate took the bait.

Great comeback by Duffo’s boys.
Shade
Did you post the previous comments in the first half? :lol:
vickeryc
Malabus wrote:I expect 2 points.
LOL.
Robin
If we beat Cambridge next week, any lingering relegation doubts should begin to look unlikely.
vickeryc
It's still much too early to make such bold statements, but obviously winning six-pointers helps reduce the risk of relegation significantly. To date, we have yet to lose any of the 7 games played against the six teams below us, winning 4 and drawing 3. That's 15 points from 7 games; or 18 from 8 if you include Northampton, who are one place above us.

Moreover, 5 of the remaining 6 fixtures against the clubs mentioned above will be at home.
Robin
To be honest we've not looked anything like a relegation side since about October, whilst you cannot say for sure we won't go down it just feels extremely unlikely. Normally sides who go down don't have a solid base or are dogged by off the field troubles we appear fairly calm/stable just lacking a bit of quality in midfield.