Scott Flinders

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

paperboy
...out of curiosity how do people rate him compared to our other keepers of recent times?
I know he had a mare on Saturday but IMO he's as good as any other keeper in League 2.
Personally I would put him behind Shane Higgs,but ahead of Scott Brown and Steve Book.
Others will disagree I'm sure.
Robin
He's done really well for us overall but he's clearly no better than league two given his career over the last five or six years. I'd say he's a solid keeper at this level, not sure I've seen too many keepers who appear much better.

I'd rate him behind Butland and Higgs, on a par with Brown and ahead of Muggleton/Book.
Shade
I'd rate him ahead of Brown purely because he is a bit quicker in the brain department when looking to play the ball, and he comes for crosses and commands his box better. His communication also seems to be a bit better. However, whereas Brown is a decent penalty keeper, Flinders is absolutely awful.

Higgs and Butland have been the best, indeed.
Benny Profane
Trevor Carson seems to have been forgotten quite quickly; best player by a long way in an admittedly dreadful team.
Si Robin
The poorness of the team made Carson look much better than he was.

As an all round keeper, Scott Brown remains my number 1 in the Football League. Higgs was by far the best shot-stopper we've had, but he didn't command his box enough and rarely spoke to his defenders. Butland was clearly class, but was raw (who can forget his nightmare at Southend). Brown's only issue, in my mind, was his fear of coming for the ball up to around the 85th minute. Weirdly though, if we were holding onto a lead there was no-one who was more confident of plucking the ball out of the air than Scotty, and then falling onto it to kill some time.

Scott Flinders is around a Steve Book level for me. He's solid, has kept us in many more games than he's cost us and, after the disasters of Russell Griffiths and the Wolves lad whose name escapes me, has made me thankful for keepers who still know how to catch a ball rather than having to punch it all the time.
Robin
A little surprised Scott Brown being considered number one, like Booky he was a loyal servant, great character and excellent shot stopper but a bad mistake was never far away with either of them. Higgs for me was much more assured back there, albeit he was quiet.
Shade
Jon Flatt is firmly at the bottom of the list for us all, I assume.
Nesty
loans aside Higgs was by far our best keeper in the league.
Si Robin
Shade wrote:Jon Flatt is firmly at the bottom of the list for us all, I assume.
I'd place Russ Griffiths below him to be honest.
Lord Elpuz
We’ve also forgotten Dillon Phillips. Always thought we would get Dillon back, but now very happy we’ve got Scott Flinders; he’s as good as any keeper in League 2 and has a very good rapport with our fans, which helps enormously with a ‘keeper’s confidence, which in turn gives confidence to the defensive line.
Si Robin
Dillon was fantastic, but didn't play for us in the Football League.

That being said, he's the one keeper I honestly can't recall making a single mistake that cost us.
Benctfc
I think Carson was massively under rated his distribution and shot stopping was very good and he was a good leader. He was unfortunate that the was around at the time we had our worst football league team with better players I think he would have stayed around for a few years and become a massive fan favourite.