Club Statement

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Johnsons Red Army
https://www.ctfc.com/news/2019/january/club-statement/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

followed by

https://robinstrust.org/trust-statement-on-fan-conduct/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone have a clue what was allegedly said/shouted?
Malabus
Chants towards Sol Campbell regarding homosexuality. The chants were coming from the PRE, behind the goal.
Johnsons Red Army
Ok thanks.
Si Robin
I think Murry Toms summed it up best on Twitter:

"Or in short, stop being bellends and dragging the rest of us down with you #ctfc"
paperboy
...clearly this shouldn't happen.
Could some stewards wear body cameras if the cost is not too prohibitive?
Hubert Parry
Malabus wrote:Chants towards Sol Campbell regarding homosexuality. The chants were coming from the PRE, behind the goal.
Appalling if true. It's 2019 ffs
little mo
After we played Ebsfleet in the cup, their keeper said he was very close to walking off because of things being said to him from the PRE. We do have a problem there which if left to fester will come back and bite us.
Johnsons Red Army
Start handing out banning orders to anyone that gets caught. That should soon sort it out.
Sprout Picker
The club really do need to try and weed out these idiots. How many more times has something like this got to happen?

And the really angry bloke in the C&G could do with some new words too. Repeatedly calling all and sundry c**ts for 90 odd minutes every home game does start to get a bit wearing after a while.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Does one assume this is the song (Sol, Sol wherever you may be) first invented by Spurs fans when he moved to Arsenal?

His career has been plagued by racist abuse as well as the homophobic abuse, and sad to see our fans can’t rise above it.

(Hopefully we’ll see a similar statement from the mods in the form of a sticky post in ‘other footy’ section to remind posters that such things are as unwelcome on here as they are at WR)
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 28 Jan 2019, 17:13, edited 1 time in total.
horlickfanclub
Why doesn't someone tell him to shut it?
Shade
I've got an angry shouty man sat next to me in the CF recently. He's going to be told to shut it soon. Did my bloody nut in on Saturday shouting all kinds of c!#p, some of it getting very borderline. People who can't control their emotions shouldn't be allowed out in public. They're an embarrassment to themselves and the club, but they put it down to that's what being a football fan is all about.
Hubert Parry
Does this guy sit near to the cameras?
Shade
Hubert Parry wrote:Does this guy sit near to the cameras?
Yes. Around seat 75-80, so just the other side of the steps from the cameras.
Red Duke
horlickfanclub wrote:Why doesn't someone tell him to shut it?
If he were sat near me, I would not hesitate in telling him to stop his offensive language.
Artemis
Johnsons Red Army wrote:https://www.ctfc.com/news/2019/january/club-statement/

followed by

https://robinstrust.org/trust-statement-on-fan-conduct/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyone have a clue what was allegedly said/shouted?
Of course as well as illegal, it's also morally repugnant. Might be nice of the club to recognise that element too.
longmover
Off the back of the games with FGR there seems to be a very nasty 'element' that now attends games, videos of fighting have appeared after the Tranmere game and this element is getting a reputation which is now going to be tested by 'elements' from other clubs.

CTFC have a problem which needs to be nipped in the bud asap before this town and its club's name is mud.
Robin
I wasn't there on Saturday but did anyone actually hear this happen and was it isolated or wide spread?
Si Robin
Having read Twitter - it appears it might have been reported to stewards who did nothing. No idea how much truth there is to it.

In all honesty, I sit in the CF right next to the PRE and I didn't hear anything. That being said, you rarely do.
I-Love-CTFC
A few tweets alluding to what may have occurred on Saturday.
https://twitter.com/dazzaj9/status/1089193896788275201" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://twitter.com/charlie_ctfc/status ... 6832405504" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ihearye
Shocked that the usual they create an atmosphere morons
I-Love-CTFC
Judging by the comments, the individuals involved didn't seem to be regulars at Whaddon Road. Hopefully they won't return. No place for these scumbags.
Robin
Ihearye wrote:Shocked that the usual they create an atmosphere morons
I wasn't there but shocked that people on the Nest jump to conclusions and lambast others without seemingly knowing the facts. :roll:
bigdavejambo
little mo wrote:After we played Ebsfleet in the cup, their keeper said he was very close to walking off because of things being said to him from the PRE. We do have a problem there which if left to fester will come back and bite us.
The same keeper who h regularly played the race card (most recently at Chesterfield) to get other fans/players into trouble despite him spending the game winding them up in the first place.

As with regards to Saturday I was there and the only thing i heard aimed at Sol was 'have you ever seen Sol Campbell with a bird' now if that is homophobic chanting then this country is finished.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
bigdavejambo wrote:
little mo wrote:After we played Ebsfleet in the cup, their keeper said he was very close to walking off because of things being said to him from the PRE. We do have a problem there which if left to fester will come back and bite us.
The same keeper who h regularly played the race card (most recently at Chesterfield) to get other fans/players into trouble despite him spending the game winding them up in the first place.

As with regards to Saturday I was there and the only thing i heard aimed at Sol was 'have you ever seen Sol Campbell with a bird' now if that is homophobic chanting then this country is finished.
Why were they chanting it if they didn’t think it was funny or insulting?
kora
I've never seen the chanters before so hopefully it won't become a regular feature. As for the shouty c word bloke, someone told me he's a copper. ?????
Robin
RCS - since when is chanting something funny or insulting a problem? Homophobic/Racist etc. I strongly feel has no place and I know you love to troll but seriously the day we lose all chanting about the opposition will completely kill the game.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:RCS - since when is chanting something funny or insulting a problem? Homophobic/Racist etc. I strongly feel has no place and I know you love to troll but seriously the day we lose all chanting about the opposition will completely kill the game.
If you think that someone being gay is funny or something to insult them about, or if you use ‘gay’ as an insult then by default it is homophobic. Why else would someone use gay as an insult if they didn’t think being gay was bad or inferior.

Your point about ‘lose all chanting’ as usual is hyperbolic nonsense and misses the point.

Some examples, if a player dives:

“Get up you cheating s#!t” - not racist or homophobic

“Get up you filthy diver” - not racist or homophobic

“Book the cheat for diving ref” - not racist or homophobic

“Get up you black c*nt” - racist

“Get up you f*cking gay” - homophobic

Do you see? There is nothing wrong or inferior about being gay, and anyone who sings chants or shouts things suggesting there is by default being homophobic. Making sense?
Robin
I'll give you credit and say I mis-interpreted your original post, I don't disagree at all with your second.
Jerry St Clair
I'm getting properly bored of the tiny minority of idiots repeatedly dragging the name of our club through the mud.

Anyone who never goes to Whaddon Rd but just reads stories in the Echo will think the place is full of thuggish bigots. And this is really sad, because it's absolutely not a reflection the vast, vast majority.

I've said it before but we, as supporters, should take some responsibility to challenge this behaviour when we see it. I'm prepared to (indeed, I have done it before).
Robin
The Echo are certainly not helping by sensationalizing things either in my opinion.
bigdavejambo
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
bigdavejambo wrote:

Why were they chanting it if they didn’t think it was funny or insulting?
i have heard much much worse chants at football grounds over the years
Hubert Parry
Robin wrote:The Echo are certainly not helping by sensationalizing things either in my opinion.
The Echo has reported the facts, as far as I can tell.
Robin
Really? They fail to state that this seems to be an isolated incident and according to fans who witnessed it these were not regulars.
Hubert Parry
Which part of the article is not factual?