Rakish Bingham

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Fuller
Wasn't he here before 4 years ago under Buckle ?

Did he ever actually play for us though ?
Hubert Parry
Good luck to him but I'm not yet convinced he is better than anything we have got
Fuller
Last chance now to sign someone with at least some experience this season.

Released by Hamilton Accies this week so wouldn't bust the bank ?
Si Robin
Fuller wrote:Wasn't he here before 4 years ago under Buckle ?

Did he ever actually play for us though ?
He was on trial under Mark Yates - went to Hartlepool and scored against us in our relegation season.
Robin
We had him here either on trail or a short term contract but ultimately wasn't quite ready. Not sure he's what we need now or whether he's better than Duku. Why has this come up?
Artemis
Well, we need forwards, and I'd rather have someone who is "no better" rather than someone who is worse than what we currently have ;-)
Nesty
some good goals here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGtuyIPq3I0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alf
I remember Scott Flinders did not arrive with many plaudits and he hasn’t done so bad. Let’s be open minded, make the lad feel welcome and give him a chance.
Nesty
Alf wrote:I remember Scott Flinders did not arrive with many plaudits and he hasn’t done so bad. Let’s be open minded, make the lad feel welcome and give him a chance.
agreed
horlickfanclub
Agreed.
Lord Elpuz
Nesty wrote:some good goals here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGtuyIPq3I0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cheers for the link Nesty.

I defy anyone to watch the goals and Binham’s all round application to the game and not draw comparisons with Mo Eisa. Fingers crossed we may finally have found the first real replacement for Mo.
Robin
Not sure that's fair Lord, he's just been released by Hamilton (a comparable standard to ourselves) and has a poor goal scoring record over the last few seasons. Let's give him a chance but equally not draw comparisons with Eisa (when we already have Varney scoring regularly).
Lord Elpuz
Yes, I agree with you Robin, unfair perhaps to load expectation (which wasn’t directly intended), but I can honestly say that watching the way he took those goals in those clips, his positional play and his pace reminded me very much of Eisa’s style. The thing with any professional footballer is the need to produce consistently. Mo Eisa found a rich vein of consistency with CTFC - though he’s not really had the opportunity at Bristol City - so maybe Bingham may get to flourish at Cheltenham in the same way that Mo did. If that happens, any comparisons will be spot-on.

I am a huge fan of Luke Varney and he’s producing goals and stats that are outstanding, even given his age, but this has to be regarded as a bonus. We need the strength in depth in the striker department going into this stage of the season and I’m glad we have not gone for an untried youngster. I had expected some favours from the Burnley Academy which would not have been a sensible option given the risk with our current position.
Shade
I reckon he's the type of player who is going to have 1 or 2 seasons where he scores a bag load. He has the attributes, he just needs to click. Hopefully it's now with us. He's 25 now so supposedly he'd be entering his prime.
Another_FoD_Robin
I firmly believe you are only as good as the players around you in the first instance. A goalkeeper who has 17 shots at him all game is going to concede sooner rather than later and you will be lucky to find a striker who scores every chance he is created with especially in League Two. Let’s see if we can create some decent chances and then make an assesment.
paperboy
...had an earlier than expected introduction from the subs bench.

Difficult to judge in last nights scrappy game,but could prove useful.

I did think his all round game was very,very similar to Duku.
Robin
He reminded me a bit of Jason White. He has pace and movement but didn't look like he would win a header and lacked composure when through on goal both times. I don't want that to sound overly negative because with a couple of exceptions the whole team played poorly and I did see some reason for optimism with him.
Shade
He may not have looked like he'd win a header but he did win several. It can't have been easy making his debut in a game and conditions like that.
Robin
Agree cannot fairly judge anyone on yesterday the weather was terrible and the whole team was below par.
Alf
As with all strikers, we have to deliver him the right ammunition before we judge his effectiveness.
Ihearye
Robin wrote:He reminded me a bit of Jason White. He has pace and movement but didn't look like he would win a header and lacked composure when through on goal both times. I don't want that to sound overly negative because with a couple of exceptions the whole team played poorly and I did see some reason for optimism with him.
Surely the harshest criticism that can be levelled at a forward! :)
Robin
Haha yes, was judging a bit mannerisms and appearance hopefully rather than pure ability:)
Ben3
I thought his first touch was consistently horrendous, but apart from that he showed promise. Won headers and should have scored. Bad tackle soon after coming on also let the defence ‘know he was there’!