POSTPONED

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Johnsons Red Army
https://www.ctfc.com/news/2019/february ... ge-united/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Shade
Disappointing.
theidlerich
Sensible - would have struggled from from here in the Cotswold mountains....so relieved!
However Tues vs Yeovil to look forward to. Prediction League to update now!
Ihearye
Can only presume the frost sheets were purchased in poundland. Fine in sunny Dublin
I-Love-CTFC
Perfect conditions for football this afternoon.
Ihearye
hard to balaance out the staements from 01.02 re noyt much frost in the ground (why was there any if covers were on, it was cold, but not that cold). Then today, even with the thaw yesterday and this morning, parts of pirch still frozen. Would love to know what changed
kora
The frost covers are meant to cope with down to minus 5 degrees. It has not exceeded that all week so the game theoretically should have gone ahead. Were the covers on or were they as Ihearye suggested bought in poundland. Poor show.
Johnsons Red Army
Agree with all of the above.
Nesty
Talk on Facebook that the covers were not used, not sure that's true of course.
I-Love-CTFC
It doesn't help when the club post things like this the day before the game. I wouldn't be surprised if the covers weren't down.

https://www.ctfc.com/news/2019/february ... -tomorrow/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Johnsons Red Army
Nesty wrote:Talk on Facebook that the covers were not used, not sure that's true of course.
Makes the most sense here, given the circumstances.
Ihearye
with snow and sub zero temps forecasted, why would anyone think you needed to apply frost covers
paperboy
..pretty sure that Finners stated on Twitter that covers were used and match referee had stayed locally overnight.
He inspected this A.M but didn't think it would thaw in time at the Hazelwood's end.
Ihearye
Will refer back to my first point then. What do the covers protect against. If -5 then no way a heavy frot could have got into the ground, especially with a snow covering. Besides that. As we al know that bit is least likely to thaw. Why are a few bales of straw not deployed? Nt brain surgery
everyman
paperboy wrote:..pretty sure that Finners stated on Twitter that covers were used and match referee had stayed locally overnight.
He inspected this A.M but didn't think it would thaw in time at the Hazelwood's end.
The Hazlewood`s end is always the last to thaw,maybe we should remove the roof (it`s only for away fans) ? The roof could be used when the home end is improved as promised by the chairman. ;)
Shade
You say -5 but I was out at 3.30am and it was -7. It's all very well saying it didn't get that cold from your perch in Dublin :P
Shade
Also just read MD's pre-Yeovil interview and, reading between the lines, it sounds like he understands why the ref called it off but he thinks it could have gone ahead.
Nesty
maybe the ref found a brown envelope from Cambridge
everyman
Shade wrote:Also just read MD's pre-Yeovil interview and, reading between the lines, it sounds like he understands why the ref called it off but he thinks it could have gone ahead.
It could be that the snow left on the pitch to help insulate it was too cold ie.the wrong kind of snow. ;)
Ihearye
May turn out to be useful to help bed in the new lads
everyman
Nesty wrote:maybe the ref found a brown envelope from Cambridge
Or from Ctfc. ?
shevates
Ihearye wrote:Can only presume the frost sheets were purchased in poundland. Fine in sunny Dublin
I and those who work for the 500 club find your comment regarding the purchase of the frost sheets insulting. Research was spent in buying those sheets for a sum of 8k many years ago. Many games have gone ahead due to there purchase and hopfully many more will do so

I took a cab home in the early hours of Sat morning and it read on the dash board it was minus 6, so the sheets wouldnt of worked regardless if they were laid or not. Sheets arnt the problem they work fine the problem is the away stand, the sun cant shine down onto the away end penalty area and help with a thaw. Its very rare a game is cancelled due to the remaining part of the pitch being frozen.

Weve had a few games cancelled, when its dropped below minus 5, the sheets have been removed at 8am and the sun has thawed 80% of the playing surface, but cant defrost the away end penalty box, something we have to put up with im afraid
Si Robin
Forgive my naivety on this - but is there nothing that can be bought to help with the thawing of the pitch at that end?

I appreciate you would have risk of damaging the pitch and whatnot - but the rental of industrial heater for example just for that third of the pitch?
Andy
Si Robin wrote:Forgive my naivety on this - but is there nothing that can be bought to help with the thawing of the pitch at that end?

I appreciate you would have risk of damaging the pitch and whatnot - but the rental of industrial heater for example just for that third of the pitch?
Trouble with rentals is knowing when you want it and when you don’t so you don’t waste money on it. If one was rented every time the weatherman thought there might be a frost under -5 degrees and it turned out there wasn’t, fans would moan the costs could have gone towards the team etc. The club can’t win lol.

Waiting until the morning may then be too late to get one in before inspection etc or even at all at late notice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Johnsons Red Army
Maybe a future project for the 500 Club then, i.e. purchase of a permanent solution (if one exists)?

That being said, the amount of postponements each season may not warrant such a purchase, given how few we get.
Ihearye
No need to get so precious

I did suggest maybe putting some straw over the top of or below, the covers in the offending area.

If the sheets cope with -5 and it was -6. Does this then mean that -1 got into the ground? If that is the case and that problem area is known to be slow to thaw, Then, as I mentioned. Surely all that is called for is an added layer of protection, to prevent that 1degree of frost getting into the ground? Also, seeing a temp of -6 on your way home, gives one no idea as to how prolonged a period it was that temp. How long does the temp have to be below -5, before it starts to get into the ground?

As you say, it is the thaw that is part of the problem. However knowing for many years that, that particular part of the ground thaws a lot slower than the rest of the ground. I see no problem with saying we should take preventative measures to stop the frost getting into the ground in the first place.

Out of interest – is there a sliding scale of cost v protection ?
- If you double up the covers in any one place, does that give extra protection ? Or is it a case of -5 no matter how many covers you put on ?
horlickfanclub
Precious ? What a patronising comment about someone who has done work above and beyond for forty plus years. I think Shevates knows what he is talking about.
Johnsons Red Army
NEW DATE:

A new date has been confirmed for Cheltenham's postponed League Two fixture with Cambridge United at the Jonny-Rocks Stadium.

The Robins will now host Cambridge on Tuesday 19 February with the match scheduled to kick-off at 7.45pm.

https://www.ctfc.com/news/2019/february ... d-fixture/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Del Boy
Johnsons Red Army wrote:NEW DATE:

A new date has been confirmed for Cheltenham's postponed League Two fixture with Cambridge United at the Jonny-Rocks Stadium.

The Robins will now host Cambridge on Tuesday 19 February with the match scheduled to kick-off at 7.45pm.

https://www.ctfc.com/news/2019/february ... d-fixture/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks for the early heads up - it'll give Ihearye plenty of time to get his bales of straw ready.
Johnsons Red Army
Del Boy wrote:Thanks for the early heads up - it'll give Ihearye plenty of time to get his bales of straw ready.
:lol:
Ihearye
horlickfanclub wrote:Precious ? What a patronising comment about someone who has done work above and beyond for forty plus years. I think Shevates knows what he is talking about.
I must have missed the beatification