BBC Radio Gloucestershire Phone in.

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

The Old TomCat
Copy of post on FGR forum that might probably be of interest to both sets of fans.

Morning all,

With the Gloucestershire games off today The Matchday programme will instead be a local sports phone in. Bob and Billy Hunt will be in the studio alongside Mark Halliwell reprsenting the Cheltenham side of things.

Call 0800 1217575 - Text 81333 (GLOS as first word of text, usual network rates apply) - Tweet @BBCGlos - get involved!

Phone in starts at 3pm.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
You could phone in and update the county on how the L2 games which are on have impacted on FGR’s average attendance.
The Old TomCat
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:You could phone in and update the county on how the L2 games which are on have impacted on FGR’s average attendance.
Now, now don't be naughty.

BTW will you be able to listen to programme from outside County.
There is plenty for Cheltenham fans to talk about - already two long threads on TRN concerning the FGR & Cheltenham radio commentators.
Shade
It'll be 80% Cheltenham fans contacting them as per usual.
Hubert Parry
I'm not sure I could think of a worse way to voluntarily spend a Saturday afternoon than listening to the Hunts.
little mo
Hubert Parry wrote:I'm not sure I could think of a worse way to voluntarily spend a Saturday afternoon than listening to the Hunts.
Now now language Hubert, oops sorry you did say Hunts. (Really clever post of yours). I am with you on this one, they couldn't pay me enough money to listen to that lot.
The Old TomCat
little mo wrote:
Hubert Parry wrote:I'm not sure I could think of a worse way to voluntarily spend a Saturday afternoon than listening to the Hunts.
Now now language Hubert, oops sorry you did say Hunts. (Really clever post of yours). I am with you on this one, they couldn't pay me enough money to listen to that lot.
The original post said Bob & Billy [FGR] and Mark [Cheltenham].
The Old TomCat
Shade wrote:It'll be 80% Cheltenham fans contacting them as per usual.
I'll take your word on that but I suspect it will be more 50/50 with broadcast being advertised on FGR forum. Something I cannot remember in past.

I guess you refer to after-match comments to BBC radio for the 80%.
I've never listened to any match on BBC Radio Gloucestershire 'cause I'm always at a game. But I suspect the 20% FGR is because of delay getting down hill from TNL while supporters at Cheltenham can walk home and be inside their house before the FGR supporters get to bottom of hill. More time for them to phone in.
Sprout Picker
The Old TomCat wrote:
Shade wrote:It'll be 80% Cheltenham fans contacting them as per usual.
I'll take your word on that but I suspect it will be more 50/50 with broadcast being advertised on FGR forum. Something I cannot remember in past.

I guess you refer to after-match comments to BBC radio for the 80%.
I've never listened to any match on BBC Radio Gloucestershire 'cause I'm always at a game. But I suspect the 20% FGR is because of delay getting down hill from TNL while supporters at Cheltenham can walk home and be inside their house before the FGR supporters get to bottom of hill. More time for them to phone in.
Yes, because all our supporters live in Whaddon Road and Prestbury Road so we're all home two minutes after the game finishes. :roll: :lol:
Robin
OTC is the gift that keeps on giving! OTC you do realise that Cheltenham is quite a large town and we have a lot of fans coming regularly from Tewkesbury and Gloucester right? I'd imagine the percentage of fans that actually walk to games is on the lower end of the spectrum and many of those will likely stop for a pint afterwards.
The Old TomCat
Robin wrote:OTC is the gift that keeps on giving! OTC you do realise that Cheltenham is quite a large town and we have a lot of fans coming regularly from Tewkesbury and Gloucester right? I'd imagine the percentage of fans that actually walk to games is on the lower end of the spectrum and many of those will likely stop for a pint afterwards.
Living in Tewkesbury area in past I know full well that the area is full of Cheltenham supporters.
Nevertheless by a huge margin many many more Cheltenham fans are sitting in their homes a lot sooner than those from FGR.
They were the ones I referred to.
Artemis
That'll be because there are many more of us.
Robin
Artemis wrote:That'll be because there are many more of us.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8-)
Ihearye
Thanks for the tip off OTC. Would have hated to tune in by accident and have had to listen to that 'what a load of old5hit'
The Old TomCat
Ihearye wrote:Thanks for the tip off OTC. Would have hated to tune in by accident and have had to listen to that 'what a load of old5hit'
In 2nd sentence IYE you end up contradicting yourself, you really do.
The programme was a one-off discussion because both CTFC & FGR matches had been abandoned.
Therefore to claim broadcast was ‘a load of oldShit’ means you must have listened to it to offer such opinion or else chose not to and therefore cannot justifiably offer any opinion.

I suspect you did not listen so missed the devastating explosive statement by Mark Halliwell that he believes CTFC will cease to be a football league club within 5 years. He said that there are many well funded National League teams bidding for promotion, such as Salford or Flyde, who will displace teams such as cash poor Cheltenham.
To have such a knowledgeable pundit making such statement must be worrying for all in Cheltenhamshire.

But it was not all bad news: none round the table thought that Cheltenham would be relegated this season. They all thought that FGR would remain in the promotion push although Bob did say that the play-offs are a lottery.
Ben3
I am such a knowledgable pundit and I will make such an explosive statement...(I’m such a good English speaker I use ‘such’ in every sentence!)

Forest Green Rovers will go bust within 5 years. Vince is hinting at walking away when (not if) the folly at jct 13 is refused. The docking of points for cheating with FFL is inevitable and so Cheltenham will be safe next year. Maybe he’ll become a shareholder with us now baker has gone, who turned his investment down year on year.
Robin
The Old TomCat wrote:
Ihearye wrote:Thanks for the tip off OTC. Would have hated to tune in by accident and have had to listen to that 'what a load of old5hit'
In 2nd sentence IYE you end up contradicting yourself, you really do.
The programme was a one-off discussion because both CTFC & FGR matches had been abandoned.
Therefore to claim broadcast was ‘a load of oldShit’ means you must have listened to it to offer such opinion or else chose not to and therefore cannot justifiably offer any opinion.

I suspect you did not listen so missed the devastating explosive statement by Mark Halliwell that he believes CTFC will cease to be a football league club within 5 years. He said that there are many well funded National League teams bidding for promotion, such as Salford or Flyde, who will displace teams such as cash poor Cheltenham.
To have such a knowledgeable pundit making such statement must be worrying for all in Cheltenhamshire.

But it was not all bad news: none round the table thought that Cheltenham would be relegated this season. They all thought that FGR would remain in the promotion push although Bob did say that the play-offs are a lottery.
Devastating statement, seriously what planet do you live on? Mark Halliwell is a grumpy old man with a single opinion, he's known to be divisive and opinionated but he's certainly no fortune teller. I highly doubt his opinion on this is reflected across the fan base too.

Whilst there are some cash rich clubs in non-league that model rarely lasts and we all know clubs like FGR and Fleetwood are on borrowed time in the football league. If you look at clubs relegated most of which are in turmoil or in extreme financial difficulties neither of which apply to CTFC at the moment.
The Old TomCat
Ben3 wrote:I am such a knowledgable pundit and I will make such an explosive statement...(I’m such a good English speaker I use ‘such’ in every sentence!)

Forest Green Rovers will go bust within 5 years. Vince is hinting at walking away when (not if) the folly at jct 13 is refused. The docking of points for cheating with FFL is inevitable and so Cheltenham will be safe next year. Maybe he’ll become a shareholder with us now baker has gone, who turned his investment down year on year.
WRONG.
DV has never said he will walk away from FGR. What he referred to was the planning application and Stroud District Council.
https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/n ... ct-2486849" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

B3, your image of yourself as a 'knowledgeable pundit' is therefore in tatters. That error on your part has made rest of your post completely meaningless: i.e. Codswallop.
DV is now a more passionate FGR fan and owner than a few years ago, especially as the club has been recognised by the UN as the greenest in the world.

In five years time FGR will be an established League 1 team or even possibly a Championship team playing in an ultra-modern stadium. But should the unforeseeable happen as you seemingly wish, FGR would have the knowledge that Cheltenham await them in non-league [according to Cheltenham’s own expert Mark Halliwell].

ps to Robin. I live on Planet Earth and repeating what was said on radio does not alter that fact.
Ihearye
OTC - I don't need to have listened to a previous show (if that existed), to determine, that to my personal 'entertainment gauge'. That a phone on on a local BBC station re two League 2 football clubs, would be, in my opinion ' a load of old 5hit'. You may take that as my personal view as to the standard of local radio. and to what I expect the content to be. No Football to cover, so lets fill in an hour or so with random phone in. Really???
You are more than welcome, to have a different view on this and I would not dare to argure that you shouldn't.
As to Mark H 'devastating' comment. I seriously doubt that anything that comes out of BBC Glos, only, would ever be described as devastating!

my sleep patterns will not be impacred, either by the 'expert' panel, or the devastating explosive Mr H. You really should get out more OTC, in my life relegation would not be devastating. It may come as a shock, but I have a lot more things to 'worry' about and take a way higher priority to CTFC or any other sports club
Ralph
The Old TomCat wrote:
Ben3 wrote:I am such a knowledgable pundit and I will make such an explosive statement...(I’m such a good English speaker I use ‘such’ in every sentence!)

WRONG.
DV has never said he will walk away from FGR. What he referred to was the planning application and Stroud District Council.
https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/n ... ct-2486849" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

B3, your image of yourself as a 'knowledgeable pundit' is therefore in tatters. That error on your part has made rest of your post completely meaningless: i.e. Codswallop.
DV is now a more passionate FGR fan and owner than a few years ago, especially as the club has been recognised by the UN as the greenest in the world.

In five years time FGR will be an established League 1 team or even possibly a Championship team playing in an ultra-modern stadium. But should the unforeseeable happen as you seemingly wish, FGR would have the knowledge that Cheltenham await them in non-league [according to Cheltenham’s own expert Mark Halliwell].

ps to Robin. I live on Planet Earth and repeating what was said on radio does not alter that fact.
Hey Turncoat. If DV doesn't get his new stadium, he will pull the plug on FGR. He can't grow it anymore. It's dead as a dodo.
Ben3
He’s pretty much said that if (when!) they don’t get planning permission then he is off. It’s sad for the real fans, they’ve got a hardcore following of about 150 who will be gutted when they combust. Not the old turncoat, he’ll just support another team!

I was a bit tongue in cheek about him joining our board but he’ll find a new hobby, maybe one of the Bristol sports teams?

"If SDC (Stroud District Council) don’t want the project I wish they would just say so, and we can (all) spend our time and energy of other things."
Nesty
i would welcome his money and drive, but not his vegan drivel