Cheltenham Town v Yeovil Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this evening: http://bit.ly/YeovilH" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
art vandalay
One of the worst games of football I've ever seen. We took lacklustre to a new level. Thank God Yeovil had a player deservedly sent off.
Hubert Parry
Three points is three points, especially as getting anything from our next two games will be difficult.
Lord Elpuz
It was a poor game, the conditions didn’t help with that swirling wind and heavy rain and I suspect the Alcock factor nullified our element of surprise, as he would have had an extensive debrief by his Yeovil coaches before tonight’s game. I am happy to take not only the 3 points, but I think it was our first double of the season too. Sometimes you have to win ugly - and that was ugly. I don’t care though, we are nearer safety now.
Benctfc
Massive 3 points performances at this stage of the season aren't important its all about the result.

What may keep us up is our record against the bottom half teams we seem to pick up points when we need to in the big games.
Shade
What got their player sent off then, because it looked like yellow at best from over in the CF?

Terrible game, I'll put it down to the weather. Take the points and increased gap to the bottom 2 and move on.
Robin
Well that was dire and we can only thank the Yeovil player who needlessly got himself sent off for gifting us the three points. Varney and Dawson aside I can't think of one CTFC player who I thought had a good game tonight. We were full of unforced errors and at times it seemed like Yeovil had the extra man even if Flinders didn't have a meaningful save to make.

Not sure if we could have had any complaints had it ended 0-0 but very glad of the three points and what should realistically end any lingering relegation fears.
Robin
Shade wrote:What got their player sent off then, because it looked like yellow at best from over in the CF?

Terrible game, I'll put it down to the weather. Take the points and increased gap to the bottom 2 and move on.

Looked a clear red, out of control off the floor and two footed with studs showing, could have badly injured Addai.
Shade
Can you say the defence didn't play well? They did their primary jobs and kept a clean sheet and judged whether to head or leave the balls through well. It wasn't scintillating stuff, but...
Shade
Robin wrote:
Shade wrote:What got their player sent off then, because it looked like yellow at best from over in the CF?

Looked a clear red, out of control off the floor and two footed with studs showing, could have badly injured Addai.
Fair enough then. Couldn't see that from where I was.
paperboy
Robin wrote:Well that was dire and we can only thank the Yeovil player who needlessly got himself sent off for gifting us the three points. Varney and Dawson aside I can't think of one CTFC player who I thought had a good game tonight. We were full of unforced errors and at times it seemed like Yeovil had the extra man even if Flinders didn't have a meaningful save to make.

Not sure if we could have had any complaints had it ended 0-0 but very glad of the three points and what should realistically end any lingering relegation fears.
Well it was never going to be a classic,but dire is an understatement.

One touch of class from Varney and a tremendous near post punch clearance from Flinders were the highlights for me.
Robin
Shade wrote:Can you say the defence didn't play well? They did their primary jobs and kept a clean sheet and judged whether to head or leave the balls through well. It wasn't scintillating stuff, but...
I would take Fisher from Yeovil but not sure they managed a meaningful shot and I'd put a lot of that down to their lack of quality rather than our defending. Forster looked like he was carrying a bag of shopping in the first half and kept getting done for pace, Tozer lacked his usual composure, Broom was well below par first half but improved second half. Hussey and Raglan were fine but can't think of them impressing me in anyway.
Robin
Hubert Parry wrote:Three points is three points, especially as getting anything from our next two games will be difficult.
I know we have Colchester coming up but what is our other game?
THECHOIRBOY
Grimsby away isn't it?

I watched on ifollow and was pretty sure but disagree Yeovil looked like had extra man.

I didn't have to encounter usual nerves and groans of the c and g and on screen didn't feel we were ever under any great pressure. Particularly once we scored I felt we looked exceptionally comfortable and in fact had the other clear cut chance
Nham68
THECHOIRBOY wrote:Grimsby away isn't it?

I watched on ifollow and was pretty sure but disagree Yeovil looked like had extra man.

I didn't have to encounter usual nerves and groans of the c and g and on screen didn't feel we were ever under any great pressure. Particularly once we scored I felt we looked exceptionally comfortable and in fact had the other clear cut chance
It’s funny how we all see it differently ...

I thought only one team in it prior to the sending off.
Once down to 10 men, I thought it was evenly matched.

That’s what worries me. Midfield we were very light.
The Old TomCat
The above posts and MD’s post match interview are fairly accurate of game. Cheltenham did not play well but won and now have an almost insurmountable advantage to avoid any threat of relegation.
The team have been fortunate in two matches against fellow relegation candidates to have them both lose a player early in the game. And that had a massive input on the Yeovil game. For the first 20 minutes Yeovil were better team and their fans silenced the Red Army.
The 20 minute foul was first time in game that Cheltenham fans were heard.
The Yeovil supporters all gave a long input of breath when their player committed that crime. They accepted his dismissal without demur and seemingly also accepted the inevitable on-field struggle and turned on their own manager.

I cannot remember a game where so many goals were ruled off-side. The second time Yeovil put ball in back of net seemed to me to be a perfectly good one. I’ve yet to watch video for confirmation or not.

The winning goal was well taken although Yeovil’s defence left a gap for Varney to shoot through.

Towards the end I thought Chris Clements for fortunate to remain on pitch when a small mellay broke out. He had spat in the direction of a Yeovil player: a real mouthful of gob.

Smiled when I bought ticket and told I could sit where I wanted. At ElGlosico the away fans were told they must sit on the seat numbered on ticket or face being evicted. Very clever tactic by Cheltenham because it reduced the noise level of the FGR fans at game.
I chose to sit in same seat for Yeovil match.

Here I must give a huge compliment to Cheltenham Town FC. Horrible wet weather during match but I was drier than at some games at TNL. The roof over the away stand is excellent.
kiaora84
The Old TomCat wrote:The above posts and MD’s post match interview are fairly accurate of game. Cheltenham did not play well but won and now have an almost insurmountable advantage to avoid any threat of relegation.
The team have been fortunate in two matches against fellow relegation candidates to have them both lose a player early in the game. And that had a massive input on the Yeovil game. For the first 20 minutes Yeovil were better team and their fans silenced the Red Army.
The 20 minute foul was first time in game that Cheltenham fans were heard.
The Yeovil supporters all gave a long input of breath when their player committed that crime. They accepted his dismissal without demur and seemingly also accepted the inevitable on-field struggle and turned on their own manager.

I cannot remember a game where so many goals were ruled off-side. The second time Yeovil put ball in back of net seemed to me to be a perfectly good one. I’ve yet to watch video for confirmation or not.

The winning goal was well taken although Yeovil’s defence left a gap for Varney to shoot through.

Towards the end I thought Chris Clements for fortunate to remain on pitch when a small mellay broke out. He had spat in the direction of a Yeovil player: a real mouthful of gob.

Smiled when I bought ticket and told I could sit where I wanted. At ElGlosico the away fans were told they must sit on the seat numbered on ticket or face being evicted. Very clever tactic by Cheltenham because it reduced the noise level of the FGR fans at game.

Here I must give a huge compliment to Cheltenham Town FC. Horrible wet weather during match but I was drier than at some games at TNL. The roof over the away stand is excellent.
No different to going to the cinema. If it’s sold out you are expected to sit in your allocated seats, if it isn’t then you can sit where you like. I expect H&S policies have a lot to do with it. No other clubs that brings a big away following struggle to make any noise
little mo
Chelt fans are discussing last nights match on here when up pops you know who to hijack a thread and stir the s#!t once again. He makes perfectly fair comments about the match and he is entitled to pay his money and attend. But he couldn't resist putting in a paragraph about how badly treated FGR fans were when they came, what a feckin cheek. You were probably made to sit in your allocated seat because the police wanted to make sure your normal 5000 following had not sneaked in, and the noise levels would have been dangerously high for the residents of Whaddon. Get out of here and leave us alone.
Robin
I had the same thoughts Mo, I can never tell if he's trolling or genuinely believes some of the stuff he posts.
everyman
Shade wrote:Can you say the defence didn't play well? They did their primary jobs and kept a clean sheet and judged whether to head or leave the balls through well. It wasn't scintillating stuff, but...
The problem for me is our midfield where we get caught in possession to often and lack a strong leader/captain type enforcer.
little mo
Robin wrote:I had the same thoughts Mo, I can never tell if he's trolling or genuinely believes some of the stuff he posts.
He is trolling Robin, it stands out like a sore thumb
Shade
I thought Tillson was an improvement on Thomas and won his share of tackles and showed a few neat touches as well, without being outstanding. It was hard to judge on last nights game, though.

Fisher was going down every time he got tackled after their player got sent off, trying to even the numbers. Several perfectly good tackles on him and he was screaming like a six year old.

Re Clements "mouthful of gob" did he spit near or at a Yeovil player? If it was near, then no crime was committed.
Jerry St Clair
The Old TomCat wrote:
That's because FGR sold out their allocation. It would have been mayhem if reserved seating hadn't been enforced. It really isn't difficult.

I think ground regulations state that clubs cannot sell all tickets in stands with unreserved seating. They have to leave 10% of seats unsold to prevent fans congregating in aisles and near exits.
Horteng
Good result last night but shame we didn’t capitalise more on the red cards and make the game a bit easier for ourselves. They had good chances

We need to give a full 90 minute performance and punish these teams
Alf
We were not ‘fortunate’ that in two vital games both of our opponents were reduced to ten men. If you wind your players up to the extent that they are going to flaunt the laws of the game then that’s a chance you take.
The Old TomCat
kiaora84 wrote: No different to going to the cinema. If it’s sold out you are expected to sit in your allocated seats, if it isn’t then you can sit where you like. I expect H&S policies have a lot to do with it. No other clubs that brings a big away following struggle to make any noise
The recent ElGlosico match was the first time ever that I as an away fan have been threatened before the game with eviction if not sitting on correct numbered seat.
All football supporters have all been to grounds where we are requested to sit at designated seating but not to be thrown out of ground beforehand if we refused.
Comparing going to a cinema and a football match is like comparing apples with pears.

I thought it was clever tactic by Cheltenham Town FC which made me smile. I’ve been to all three recent ElGlosico games and in the two previous meetings the FGR away fans were by far the noisiest. The last game, where Cheltenham managed to spread out the Green Army, FGR were still very noisy but nowhere as loud as previously.

Its called Gamesmanship and it worked.
The Old TomCat
Shade wrote: Re Clements "mouthful of gob" did he spit near or at a Yeovil player? If it was near, then no crime was committed.

Agreed in part. Clements spat in the direction of a nearby Yeovil player who was approaching him only just missing him. No crime committed but an unpleasant action that is frowned upon by the FA.
The TV coverage might have picked it up. Clements had his back to the Speedy stand at time of incident.
The Old TomCat
Alf wrote:We were not ‘fortunate’ that in two vital games both of our opponents were reduced to ten men. If you wind your players up to the extent that they are going to flaunt the laws of the game then that’s a chance you take.
I cannot comment on the Macclesfield game but having had a look at the pictures of the Yeovil red card it seems harsh and deserved no more than a yellow. It was clumsy challenge but the players studs were not showing.
I understand the player/club are appealing against decision.
That sending off defined the game and saying Cheltenham was fortunate when I could perhaps as easily said Yeovil were unlucky.
I will also add that some Cheltenham fans who were near to the incident thought it harsh.
The Old TomCat
little mo wrote:
Robin wrote:I had the same thoughts Mo, I can never tell if he's trolling or genuinely believes some of the stuff he posts.
He is trolling Robin, it stands out like a sore thumb
Any fair minded and intelligent Nest will agree that I wrote a rational and Cheltenham complimentary post that in no way can be considered trolling.
Your replies, on the other hand are nothing less than organised trolling against me.

Bizarre because LM said I wrote fairly which Robin seemingly agreed.
It’s you guys who are the real trolls.
Ihearye
The Old TomCat wrote:
Alf wrote:We were not ‘fortunate’ that in two vital games both of our opponents were reduced to ten men. If you wind your players up to the extent that they are going to flaunt the laws of the game then that’s a chance you take.
I cannot comment on the Macclesfield game but having had a look at the pictures of the Yeovil red card it seems harsh and deserved no more than a yellow. It was clumsy challenge but the players studs were not showing.
That sending off defined the game and saying Cheltenham was fortunate when I could perhaps as easily said Yeovil were unlucky.
I will also add that some Cheltenham fans who were near to the incident thought it harsh.
Am beginning to wonder, if you are paranoid, deluded or just plain stupid.

Do you not think you are over thinking things here? Or maybe applying the contrived method of handling away support that FGR have, to CTFC or any other club in the land.

It is simple logic – if the stand is going to be anywhere near capacity and seats are numbered, you sit in your allocated seat. Not any great master game to reduce noise, merely a simple exercise in removing any possible cause of contention with ticket holders!

If the stand is near empty – sit where you want. Same logic is applied in home ends in Pre season friendly

You purchase a ticket for the back of the stand, turn up somebody is sitting in it and you have to sit on front row in pi55ing rain. Are you
a) happy
b) unhappy

What part of that is it hard for you to get your head round?
The Old TomCat
little mo wrote:Chelt fans are discussing last nights match on here when up pops you know who to hijack a thread and stir the s#!t once again. He makes perfectly fair comments about the match and he is entitled to pay his money and attend. But he couldn't resist putting in a paragraph about how badly treated FGR fans were when they came, what a feckin cheek. You were probably made to sit in your allocated seat because the police wanted to make sure your normal 5000 following had not sneaked in, and the noise levels would have been dangerously high for the residents of Whaddon. Get out of here and leave us alone.
Touchy, touchy.
Chill out, Cheltenham won game and are almost assured of League 1 survival this season.

But he couldn't resist putting in a paragraph about how badly treated FGR fans were when they came,
Please show everybody where I stated that because it ain’t true.

Get out of here and leave us alone.
As you say, I paid my money and bought a magazine for game.
But don’t worry this will probably be the last season that WR will ever entertain an ElGlosico match after FGR are promoted in May. Then I will be gone.
The Old TomCat
Ihearye wrote:
The Old TomCat wrote:
Am beginning to wonder, if you are paranoid, deluded or just plain stupid.

Do you not think you are over thinking things here? Or maybe applying the contrived method of handling away support that FGR have, to CTFC or any other club in the land.

It is simple logic – if the stand is going to be anywhere near capacity and seats are numbered, you sit in your allocated seat. Not any great master game to reduce noise, merely a simple exercise in removing any possible cause of contention with ticket holders!

If the stand is near empty – sit where you want. Same logic is applied in home ends in Pre season friendly

You purchase a ticket for the back of the stand, turn up somebody is sitting in it and you have to sit on front row in pi55ing rain. Are you
a) happy
b) unhappy

What part of that is it hard for you to get your head round?
IHY,
Catch up
Already answered that point.
No I am not deluded.
andgarod
The only red card dispute is why you have not been banned OTC

Either OTC is deluded , has green and black specs or is a WUM

So as to protect the innocent and remove the WUM
A ban of at least 4 months would be helpful to all
little mo
Case proven Robin. He is once again spoiling a thread about CHELTENHAM TOWN and turning it into an argument about fgr. He knows full well what he is doing and why the mods on here put up with it is beyond me. GET HIM OUT OF HERE PLEASE.
Robin
The Old TomCat wrote:
Behave, that's obvious trolling the guy was off the floor, two feet and studs showing. Not one Cheltenham fan (it happened at our end of the pitch believed it was harsh that I know of).