Luke Varney

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Nesty
top signing, top bloke..............
Lord Elpuz
We are very lucky to have him; a model professional who clearly looks after himself - with an incredible goal rate for any striker. He’s an awesome sight when he times his leap to win a header, he has that incredible ability to hang in the air. His last two goals have been sheer class.

I’d wager a few clubs now envy the fact that CTFC signed him when he was a free agent. If we stay up - and I feel very sure we will do - much of that will be due to Luke Varney. Well done Luke, and well done Mr Duff for bringing him in. Varney be a serious contender for Player of the Season.
bigdavejambo
how long is his contract?
kora
End of the season if I remember correctly.
Robin
I'd give him another year to be honest. No need for mass changes in the summer let's build a base to get promoted.
Cheltenhamshire10
Definitely another year, best signing post GJ.
Even if he plays less, can still see him getting double figures goals wise.
CTFCfan99
Agree with the above, he's one of those strikers that you just know is going to score if given half a chance. We haven't had too many of those recently (probably only him and Mo since the NL season).
Shade
Although you can see his general play has an effect on a game, I was a bit underwhelmed when he'd only scored in 2 of his first 14 League games for us, but he's on a nice little run of 5 in the last 7 now and looking much more confident in front of goal. Looking through his Soccerbase stats I was very surprised to see that he's barely started in the last 5/6 years and in a couple of games time he'll have made more starts for us this season than his previous 5 seasons combined. Also, one more goal and he'll have hit double figures in a season for the first time since he hit 25 for Crewe in 2006/07!!! In fact, he'd only scored 9 League goals in total since the 2013/14 season started.
paperboy
Shade wrote:Although you can see his general play has an effect on a game, I was a bit underwhelmed when he'd only scored in 2 of his first 14 League games for us, but he's on a nice little run of 5 in the last 7 now and looking much more confident in front of goal. Looking through his Soccerbase stats I was very surprised to see that he's barely started in the last 5/6 years and in a couple of games time he'll have made more starts for us this season than his previous 5 seasons combined. Also, one more goal and he'll have hit double figures in a season for the first time since he hit 25 for Crewe in 2006/07!!! In fact, he'd only scored 9 League goals in total since the 2013/14 season started.
Yes, I was underwhelmed initially, particularly with Barnett alongside.
They both worked hard, but didn't have any sharpness to worry defences.
That said we weren't creating too many opportunities for them either.

Wages could be an issue next year as he and Barnett will be our highest earners.
Jerry St Clair
Robin wrote:I'd give him another year to be honest. No need for mass changes in the summer let's build a base to get promoted.
Yes, and not just for his playing ability. Seems like he's a good guy to have around training, like a role model and mentor for the younger players. Similar to Jamie Cureton actually.
Artemis
Yes.
Although unlike Jamie Cureton, Varney is only occasionally offside.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
15-20 goals for Luke Varney in CTFC colours next season.
Artemis
I'd love to see him stick around next season, but surely he'll get offers from closer to home?