Colchester United v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this afternoon: http://bit.ly/ColUaway" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alf
Two down. We don’t have the quality up front that Colchester have I’m afraid. They’re currently ripping us to bits at the back. Duffo’s going to have his work cut out at half time.
Ihearye
73 mimutes and not one shot on or off target says it all (according to bbc stats)
Alf
If nothing else this should be a decent learning curve for our players in respect of what is required to play in the higher echelons of Div 2. We’ve been outclassed in most areas of the pitch. (Watching game on EFL).
vickeryc
Disappointing though this result is, such fixtures are less critical than those against teams towards the bottom of the league. Thankfully, to date, we've managed to avoid losing the 'six pointers'.
Hubert Parry
A huge gulf between the top and bottom of this division. We are by no means safe yet.
art vandalay
Our form over the last 6 games has been awful and such a contrast to Nov & Dec. Anyone who thinks we can't go down needs their head tested.
Johnsons Red Army
https://www.oddschecker.com/football/en ... relegation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm with the bookies. And at 20/1, I'm saying (probably) not happening.
art vandalay
Unlikely, but we're certainly not safe. A few weeks ago we went from being about 9 points clear to right back in it when we were 2-0 down at half-time to Macc.
Robin
I don't think anyone believes we are safe but it would still require a big collapse in overall form for us to be relegated. According to the radio commentators today our form since Mike Duff came in is mid-table and actually on a par with Colchester who sit fourth. Add that to the fact there are at least 3-4 terrible sides and it's realistic to feel relegation is unlikely.
Alf
Football-wise I would say that Colchester are one of the best if not the best footballing side we have played this season. We are not going to be playing teams of this standard every week and should be able to collect the points needed to stay up. The quality of their first goal seemed to ruin what confidence we may have had and we were always second best after that.
art vandalay
We've taken 28 points from 24 games under MD, equivalent to 54 points over a season, better than the past 2 seasons and better than the first 7 games of this season, but certainly not mid-table form.
Robin
I was only recycling what James Young said ten wins, ten losses and ten draws I think was his quote. I do feel Young is biased towards Duff but didn't check the accuracy of his statement.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:I was only recycling what James Young said ten wins, ten losses and ten draws I think was his quote. I do feel Young is biased towards Duff but didn't check the accuracy of his statement.
Alarm bells should have been raised as he said the 10-10-10 line (if he did) as we have a) only played 31 games in total and b) have 35 points, not 40.

I suspect that you misheard Robin, ad Duff’s record is seven wins, seven draws and 10 defeats so easy to be misheard as 10-10-10. In which case Young has been nothing but accurate with his stats.
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 10 Feb 2019, 08:29, edited 1 time in total.
Horteng
Hubert Parry wrote:A huge gulf between the top and bottom of this division. We are by no means safe yet.
So based on that how did Notts beat FGR yesterday?
andgarod
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:I was only recycling what James Young said ten wins, ten losses and ten draws I think was his quote. I do feel Young is biased towards Duff but didn't check the accuracy of his statement.
Alarm bells should have been raised as he said the 10-10-10 line (if he did) as we have a) only played 31 games in total and b) have 35 points, not 40.

I suspect that you misheard Robin, ad Duff’s record is seven wins, seven draws and 10 defeats so easy to be misheard as 10-10-10. In which case Young has been nothing but accurate with his stats.
Firstly that is what JY said 10-10-10 so Robin did hear correctly
I also thought we hadnt played 30 league games under MD
I did think that JY was probably including various other competitions or he was just making things up
Hubert Parry
Horteng wrote:
Hubert Parry wrote:A huge gulf between the top and bottom of this division. We are by no means safe yet.
So based on that how did Notts beat FGR yesterday?
Because they have pretty much changed their team at the end of the window. I think they will stay up.
THECHOIRBOY
Well we can see next week how good Colchester are as we could do with a favour as they play Macclesfield
I-Love-CTFC
Did the players forgot how to tackle yesterday? All goals totally unchallenge. What has happened to Broom recently? His form has declined since the interest from Burton Albion.
Robin
THECHOIRBOY wrote:Well we can see next week how good Colchester are as we could do with a favour as they play Macclesfield
Really, do you honestly feel we need favours for the bottom two to keep losing? Honestly unless we collapse we should be the masters of our own destiny.
Shade
For a little perspective, Colchester did hammer Northampton 4-0 away the previous week and they're 3 points above us. Heard a stat that they've scored 16 in their last 5 or 6 games overall. They're in a false position really after a poor run over the last month or two, but seem to be firmly back on track now.

Saying that, that is what I'd consider 3 and a half poor performances in a row. Luckily, two of the games were against no-hopers who had a player sent off.