New head of coaching

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Started work on Monday: http://bit.ly/HeadOfCoaching" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
Can't comment on his credentials but not sure why we let Downes go only to replace him a couple of months later.
kiaora84
Robin wrote:Can't comment on his credentials but not sure why we let Downes go only to replace him a couple of months later.
Downes wanted to go.

He didn’t want to go back to the head of academy coaching role as he had been involved with helping the first team prior to Duffos arrival. Pretty much said that himself.

Torquay gave him that opportunity.
kora
And we've appointed Frankie Boyle to replace him. Should make for a more humorous club. :D :D :D
DWx3
I'm genuinely interested to know why Cheltenham Town have an academy. Is it a profitable venture for the club or a drain on resources?

It hasn't exactly produced a conveyor belt of talent for the first team so would it not be better to scrap it all together?

I don't have enough knowledge on this subject to have an opinion but I'd like to be enlightened if anyone can help!

I thought this article recently was quite interesting on how Brentford restructured things successfully: https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/46864784" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Could a similar model work at our level? Perhaps a B team made up of local youngsters and non-league talent looking for a break as well those who have slipped through the net at a higher level.

Rather than focusing on 'developing talent' why not look for the already 'developed talent' that is out there like Brentford have.
Shade
I can't remember exactly but I believe there are benefits to having an academy, such as FA subsidies, or something along those lines. And then, of course, we have sold the likes of Jamie Edge, the Duffus brothers, the kid at Derby whose name has completely vanished from my memory for the moment, all of whom will have a sell-on clause. Edge and the Duffus' haven't amounted to much and we've lost the sell-on fee but the Derby kid should earn the club more money in the future.
Si Robin
Luke Thomas is the guy you're thinking of Shade.
leohoenig
I asked this question at the fans forum earlier in the year.

The club receives grants from the football league for the academy
This means the costs are not as one might expect - the grants would not be available if the academy was not there, or if it was downgraded.

When this is taken in with the sales Shade has mentioned - all of which give us transfer fee - even if they do not move on.
Clearly it is best for us if these players do reach the top.

The Derby player is Luke Thomas, currently on loan at Coventry
Shade
Of course, thanks.
DWx3
Could we see exact figures on this?

Aside from FA subsidies, the possibility of bringing through a player like Luke Thomas has potential rewards but Brentford's model has been even more profitable. The money made from the eventual sell-on of a player you sold at the age of 15 is never likely to be as great as the money you can make from finding a rough diamond like we did with Mo Eisa and like Brentford have done.
Fuller
How many players from the Academy have actually become long term first team regulars for the Robins ?

I can only think of Dave Bird and Shane Duff and that was 10/15 years ago. Mike Duff was pre Academy.

Anyone else ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Fuller wrote:How many players from the Academy have actually become long term first team regulars for the Robins ?

I can only think of Dave Bird and Shane Duff and that was 10/15 years ago. Mike Duff was pre Academy.

Anyone else ?
Gallinagh had a year in our Centre of Excellence before going on to form our most successful/record holding centre back pairing.