Cheltenham Town v Cambridge United

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this evening: http://bit.ly/CambridgeUnitedHome" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Robin
Mixed game that, Cambridge looked a lot better than us for the first twenty minutes then we began to grow into the game. Our midfield looked very weak first half but second half Dawson and Maddox seemed to have a lot more time on the ball and closed them down very well. I felt we got the lucky breaks tonight with the own goal and then with the moment of madness by their defender to get himself sent off.

I know we can still get sucked into it but feel Duff needs to be getting our better players tied down and preparing for next season now. Perhaps talk contracts with Addai, Atangana, Broom and potentially Raglan now so we can get them signed up before the end of the season. I don't want to be going into May wondering if we will lose our better players again and realistically we are very unlikely to go down from this point.
art vandalay
Agree. Could easily have gone against us but we got the breaks at the right time. Certainly not a great game, couldn't fault anyone for effort though, we kept possession well, Broom & Hussey involved, we offered very little up front, good to see Boyle back. A win on Saturday would pretty much carry us home.
Ralph
Just keep Billy away from the penalties.
paperboy
Ralph wrote:Just keep Billy away from the penalties.
Ha ha ,yes.
Hope the club sent him to retrieve the ball.
Shade
The second pen didn't look anything like a penalty to me so I think justice was served on that one. Not that Billy dived for it, just naturally went down after a perfectly good tackle. Thought the ref actually had a good game otherwise, apart from a couple of early dodgy decisions and the one Maddox got given against him for backing in.
Ben3
Now Forster is not playing we look a much tighter unit at the back. One goal conceded in 180 minutes is excellent. He has been a liability all season
Si Robin
Our penalties record this season, excluding Connor Thomas, is dreadful. Has any other player actually scored one in a 90 mins game this season?

Thomas may not do much else, but he's bloody mustard from the spot.
Robin
We were trying to work out how many players had missed penalties this season, we had the following:
Brian Graham (Crawley or pre-season?)
Manny Duku (Walsall)
Kevin Dawson (Crawley or Carlisle)
Luke Varney (FGR)
Billy Waters (Cambridge)

Were there any others?
paperboy
Robin wrote:We were trying to work out how many players had missed penalties this season, we had the following:
Brian Graham (Crawley or pre-season?)
Manny Duku (Walsall)
Kevin Dawson (Crawley or Carlisle)
Luke Varney (FGR)
Billy Waters (Cambridge)

Were there any others?
Didn't Barnett have one saved at FGR,but put in the rebound?
Si Robin
It was Varney who missed at FGR with Barnett reacting first.
horlickfanclub
I hope Billy has paid for a new ball .
Shade
I'm surprised we've had so many penalties. Do we normally have this many in a season. Also, they said on the radio at Grimsby that we've conceded more penalties than anyone else in the division this season - I can't remember one that's been saved, but opposition have missed the target a couple of times.
Ralph
Si Robin wrote:Our penalties record this season, excluding Connor Thomas, is dreadful. Has any other player actually scored one in a 90 mins game this season?

Thomas may not do much else, but he's bloody mustard from the spot.
Worth having him in the team just for that reason. Pens win games
Robin
To be honest Thomas is the sort of squad player every club needs, he rarely excels but he's steady in a few different positions and so long as his wages are not top end I don't see why we wouldn't keep him around.
Ihearye
Where is the team management and leadership on the team, that allows the first person to grab the ball, to take the penalty? Utter shambles !
little mo
Shade wrote:I'm surprised we've had so many penalties. Do we normally have this many in a season. Also, they said on the radio at Grimsby that we've conceded more penalties than anyone else in the division this season - I can't remember one that's been saved, but opposition have missed the target a couple of times.
Scotty saved one at Macc's the night GJ was sacked.
CTFCfan99
In the league, Dawson (Crawley), Barnett (Morecambe), Varney (FGR) and Waters (Cambridge) have all missed their only pens, Thomas has scored all four of his (plus one in the cup). If nothing else, we can rely on Thomas from the spot!
asl
Shade wrote:I'm surprised we've had so many penalties. Do we normally have this many in a season.
I thought that. Also red cards for opposition - we seem to have benefited from more of those than normal, too.
longmover
Ihearye wrote:Where is the team management and leadership on the team, that allows the first person to grab the ball, to take the penalty? Utter shambles !
Completely agree, this 'approach' could end up coasting us and for Duff to say he doesn't get involved in penalty takers is a bit of a cop out, he makes decisions on every aspect of the playing side of CTFC but not penalties...?
Shade
Maybe Duff's seen them all take penalties and thinks they're all rubbish so just lets whoever feels like they might score at the time have a go.
Fuller
longmover wrote:
Ihearye wrote:Where is the team management and leadership on the team, that allows the first person to grab the ball, to take the penalty? Utter shambles !
Completely agree, this 'approach' could end up coasting us and for Duff to say he doesn't get involved in penalty takers is a bit of a cop out, he makes decisions on every aspect of the playing side of CTFC but not penalties...?
Couldn't agree more Longmover & Ihearye. Barnett took one earlier in the season because he wanted to get off the mark, as did Billy on Tuesday. Both those pens ended up in the stingers.

Leave it to Thomas thank you.