1999 Cardiff City at Whaddon Road

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longmover
Do people remember when Cardiff City visited WR for the first time? Cheltenham was prepared for armageddon, children were evacuated to winchcombe. Helicopters roamed the sky armies of police, horses and dogs roamed the town.

And nothing happened, the game was pants as well 0-0

:lol:
Robin
Yep I remember, 5000+ crowd wasn't it too? The best was the 3-1(?) where Bob Bloomer and Neil Grayson scored but my memory my have the scorers wrong.
MSB
I remember a 3-1 (or was it 3-0?) and Grayson scored a hattrick.
Early kick off, glorious weather and a rammed C&G.
Fuller
Robin wrote:Yep I remember, 5000+ crowd wasn't it too? The best was the 3-1(?) where Bob Bloomer and Neil Grayson scored but my memory my have the scorers wrong.

That was the Brighton match. Bobby scored a wonder goal and did a lap of honour !
Cheltenhamshire10
MSB wrote:I remember a 3-1 (or was it 3-0?) and Grayson scored a hattrick.
Early kick off, glorious weather and a rammed C&G.
Was that the perfect hatrick game? left foot, right foot, header.
Si Robin
The first time we played Cardiff at Whaddon Road in the League was the Grayson 3-1 game in April 2001. Kicked off at 12:00 on a Sunday as well for some reason.

Such an amazing hat-trick from Larry and the performance as a whole was amazing.

The 0-0 game Longmover refers to might be the game in August 2002 when they battered us but we scraped a 1-1 draw. Remember walking out after and passing through their fans on Whaddon Road and one of their fans shouting out "Enjoy Division 3 boys because that's where you'll be heading". It was a new level of bitter :lol:
DWx3
I remember that Cardiff match where Grayson got the hat trick very well. They had assembled quite an impressive team for that level with Andy Legg, Leo Fortune-West, Danny Gabbidon and Robert Earnshaw. Having just Googled the match I see they also had James Collins on the bench (went on to West Ham and Villa). Also worth mentioning other Cheltenham connected players they had: Josh Low, Carl Muggleton and Paul Brayson.

It's not just the distortion of nostalgia talking but those days were the best I've enjoyed as a Cheltenham supporter. The sun was shining, the stands were packed and the 'next big thing' Robert Earnshaw got taught a lesson by a 36 year old cult hero.

Being a league club was still a new thing and quite a novelty, it seemed unbelievable to be hosting Cardiff City and everything that went with it only a few years after being in the old Dr Beazer Martens Homes whatever the f#!$ it was called league.

While we're on memory lane, who remembers playing Plymouth on a Tuesday night? They brought so many fans that a last-minute decision was made for us to switch ends and Cheltenham fans moved from the C&G to the Whaddon Rd end. These days people would probably be complaining about such a farce but I don't remember anyone grumbling that night (again, could just be nostalgia distorting my memories).

Switching ends was a blessing as we saw my favourite ever Cheltenham goal as Steve Book kicked the ball from his hands, Hugh McAuley flicked it on and Neil Grayson volleyed it in. The ball went from Booky's hands to the opposition net in three touches and without toughing the grass once. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JCXUjhkKIg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (uploaded by one his sons!)

And what about the bomb scare in the 90s when we all went over to Whaddon Rec and watched a game there - I seem to remember there was an ex Cheltenham player taking part which got everyone excited.
kiaora84
Those unfortunate to miss out on the Cotterill era will never know how good it really was. WR was a fortress. The buzz around the place and the atmosphere (home and away) was amazing. Or that’s how it remember it as a 10/11 year old :lol:
Ralph
DWx3 wrote:I remember that Cardiff match where Grayson got the hat trick very well. They had assembled quite an impressive team for that level with Andy Legg, Leo Fortune-West, Danny Gabbidon and Robert Earnshaw. Having just Googled the match I see they also had James Collins on the bench (went on to West Ham and Villa). Also worth mentioning other Cheltenham connected players they had: Josh Low, Carl Muggleton and Paul Brayson.

It's not just the distortion of nostalgia talking but those days were the best I've enjoyed as a Cheltenham supporter. The sun was shining, the stands were packed and the 'next big thing' Robert Earnshaw got taught a lesson by a 36 year old cult hero.

Being a league club was still a new thing and quite a novelty, it seemed unbelievable to be hosting Cardiff City and everything that went with it only a few years after being in the old Dr Beazer Martens Homes whatever the f#!$ it was called league.

While we're on memory lane, who remembers playing Plymouth on a Tuesday night? They brought so many fans that a last-minute decision was made for us to switch ends and Cheltenham fans moved from the C&G to the Whaddon Rd end. These days people would probably be complaining about such a farce but I don't remember anyone grumbling that night (again, could just be nostalgia distorting my memories).

Switching ends was a blessing as we saw my favourite ever Cheltenham goal as Steve Book kicked the ball from his hands, Hugh McAuley flicked it on and Neil Grayson volleyed it in. The ball went from Booky's hands to the opposition net in three touches and without toughing the grass once. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JCXUjhkKIg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (uploaded by one his sons!)

And what about the bomb scare in the 90s when we all went over to Whaddon Rec and watched a game there - I seem to remember there was an ex Cheltenham player taking part which got everyone excited.
There were the 2 times we played Cardiff in a week. Cup and League. First trip to Ninian. The 10yr old Cardiff kids throwing coins at us through the nets separating us and them behind the goal. The SoulCrew were pretty quiet off to our left down by the dugouts

I think it was Stevenage that we were playing with the bomb scare. And then there was the infamous "brooms" situation when we went to Boro to play them one winter.. Good times!
Red Duke
DWx3 wrote: While we're on memory lane, who remembers playing Plymouth on a Tuesday night? They brought so many fans that a last-minute decision was made for us to switch ends and Cheltenham fans moved from the C&G to the Whaddon Rd end. These days people would probably be complaining about such a farce but I don't remember anyone grumbling that night (again, could just be nostalgia distorting my memories).

I was there! One of the very few home games in recent years that I have been to.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Cardiff, Plymouth, Brighton (Griffin doing a man marking job on Bobby Zamora not long before he moved to Spurs).

Turning Oxford over in our first promotion season. Hartlepool. Devaney, Finners, Alsop, Grayson at Cardiff.

The stuff that dreams are made of.

Duff was part of that and he knows what it means and what the fans crave. Like Ole at Old Trafford being one of the few alive knowing what ‘99 was like for that club.

It’s a cliche but the likes of Victory and Milton - they just don’t make them like that anymore.
Fuller
Those certainly were the best of times, absolutely brilliant.

We used to turn up at The Kemble at 1.00 pm on matchdays, the place was packed with a real buzz of anticipation, followed by yet another win and then back to The Kemble to celebrate. Fantastic times.

Boka, Booky, Bobby, Russ, Yatesy, Larry, Banksy, Duffo, Jamie, Disco, Nellie, Broughy, Finners - we love you all !

Not forgetting Cotts and Paul Baker & his board, you let it all happen.

We thank you all.
Jerry St Clair
longmover wrote:Do people remember when Cardiff City visited WR for the first time? Cheltenham was prepared for armageddon, children were evacuated to winchcombe. Helicopters roamed the sky armies of police, horses and dogs roamed the town.

:lol:
Understandable though. Cardiff were in their hooli-pomp in the late 90s/early 2000s. I was on the receiving end of them in 1998 and 2001 and they caused havoc most places they went. I'm quite surprised Cheltenham got off lightly. Perhaps the lack of any effective hooligan opponents put them off turning up to sleepy old Cheltenham?