The bottom two

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

little mo
Some of Macc's players not been paid again and some only been paid part of wages. Notts County being chased by HMRC for over 200k again just as the owners main business goes into administration.
We may not be one of the "wealthy" lower division clubs, but hopefully we are still being run soundly. And if so,then how lucky are we?
Ben3
The answer is - very lucky. We are one of the few success stories of a non league team making it into the league in a sustainable way.

Yeovil have done also...not many more examples?
Ben3
Burton of course. Wycombe. Accrington, morecambe, Stevenage?

Only Wycombe been there longer than us I guess
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Kick Notts out the league. Too many tax dodging cheats like them trying to live by different rules to other clubs have been allowed to carry on. Enough is enough and it needs to be clamped down upon.
Ben3
RCS - do you have a link to a user-friendly guide to financial fair play? I’ll be honest, I don’t understand it at all.

It’s never been a level playing field and whether it’s dr martins, Dubai or ecotricity buying leagues i think it’s always been part of the game. What are the rules MEANT to be...and secondly how are they applied in reality?
Alf
The downside of kicking a team out of the league is the effect that has on the hundreds of loyal supporters who pay their hard earned cash into the club every week of the season. Why should they be punished because of the misdemeanours of the club owners. I have friends who are Magpie supporters and they are absolutely gutted at what is happening to their football club but they still turn up every week in the hope that things will improve. They have been going to the games since their Dads took them there as kids. It’s all very well saying ‘kick them out of the league’ but who are you punishing?
Ralph
It's a horrible feeling to get kicked out of the league. Wouldn't wish it on anyone
longmover
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Kick Notts out the league. Too many tax dodging cheats like them trying to live by different rules to other clubs have been allowed to carry on. Enough is enough and it needs to be clamped down upon.
Completely agree, these teams need to be hit hard, Oxford, Coventry Portsmouth (there's loads more) are another, managed to avoid paying what they owe and surprise surprise up the leagues they go. As I've said before fans turn a blind eye during the good times they whinge and moan when the 5hit hits the fan.

The FA look after their own, nothing will happen.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:The downside of kicking a team out of the league is the effect that has on the hundreds of loyal supporters who pay their hard earned cash into the club every week of the season. Why should they be punished because of the misdemeanours of the club owners. I have friends who are Magpie supporters and they are absolutely gutted at what is happening to their football club but they still turn up every week in the hope that things will improve. They have been going to the games since their Dads took them there as kids. It’s all very well saying ‘kick them out of the league’ but who are you punishing?
Were your friends out protesting in the summer airing concerns about the level of money being spent and questioning if it was sustainable? Or were they enjoying the ‘favourites’ tag and getting excited about promotion?

As longmover says above, live by the sword you die by the sword.
art vandalay
If cheating club's aren't punished, a club that lives by the rules will go down instead. Hardly fair on their fans, is it?
Alf
Of course not. Supporters are not always 100% sure of what is going on at board level. If someone took over our club and started spending big money, would we take to the streets demanding to know where it’s coming from. Of course not. People react when things go tits up. That’s human nature.
I don’t see FGR fans taking to the streets to query the clubs finances. Believe me, I’m the last person to find tax avoidance acceptable and I’m certainly not siding with the club management. All I’m saying is, don’t take it out on the fans. There should be better ways of dealing with the situation.
Artemis
Ben3 wrote:Burton of course. Wycombe. Accrington, morecambe, Stevenage?

Only Wycombe been there longer than us I guess
I think you're forgetting our year's sabbatical in the Vanarama
Artemis
art vandalay wrote:If cheating club's aren't punished, a club that lives by the rules will go down instead. Hardly fair on their fans, is it?
^^This
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Alf wrote:Of course not. Supporters are not always 100% sure of what is going on at board level. If someone took over our club and started spending big money, would we take to the streets demanding to know where it’s coming from. Of course not. People react when things go tits up. That’s human nature.
I don’t see FGR fans taking to the streets to query the clubs finances. Believe me, I’m the last person to find tax avoidance acceptable and I’m certainly not siding with the club management. All I’m saying is, don’t take it out on the fans. There should be better ways of dealing with the situation.
I think we would. Plenty on here criticised AW after his first few interviews gobbing off about profit margins and his big open white collar. Given we have reported a loss recently I suspect plenty will be questioning if we start splashing cash about or making arrogant and knobbish statements about promotion like the County Chairman did.

Hereford fans the best imo. When Tommy Agombar took over they were boycotting almost straight away and started a phoenix club. They knew that four relegations was better than being owned by a spiv and crook and seeing the ground turned into a Waitrose.

FGR fans don’t have a clue - which is why this forum have not held back in given them warnings.