Mansfield Town v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this afternoon http://bit.ly/MansfieldA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Alf
Poor defending for the Mansfield goal. Ball given away in midfield again. Spoilt a good first half. Second goal has really spoilt a good first half. The level of commitment and quality in midfield is dire.
Nesty
did well to level it at 2-2 but fell to 2 late goals.
Ben3
I wasn’t there but it sounds like we made a good fist of it. Can’t win them all
Robin
Where were Long, Mullins and Bingham today?
horlickfanclub
As Michael Duff explained , Robin, Bingham was replaced by Lloyd to comply with EFL rules after Lovett dropped out
Nesty
what happened to Lovett?
Robin
horlickfanclub wrote:As Michael Duff explained , Robin, Bingham was replaced by Lloyd to comply with EFL rules after Lovett dropped out
But Lovett was not a homegrown player, we signed him from Aston Villa.
Red Duke
Is it to do with Lapworth's loan status?
Horteng
horlickfanclub wrote:As Michael Duff explained , Robin, Bingham was replaced by Lloyd to comply with EFL rules after Lovett dropped out
I take it no one informed our media man about this then as he interviewed Rakish pre match asking what it will be like to return to his old club lol
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Horteng wrote:
I take it no one informed our media man about this then as he interviewed Rakish pre match asking what it will be like to return to his old club lol
Don’t want to give away selection secrets to the opposition days before the match.
Shade
Lovett has done something to his groin... He's been with us since he was 17, I believe, so doesn't that qualify him as a "home-grown" player, having been under 18?

What is it with all the conspiracy theories as to where players are every week?!
Cheltenhamshire10
Missed the rule that we must field a youth team (aka club developed) generated player in the match-day squad?
Pretty sure most of our squad is "home-grown", but as it's u19 season for the "club developed" player I believe Lovett would count?

Did we sign any 18 year olds last summer that would count next year?
From my memory one of the following must be included in the 18 every week;
Lovett
Lloyd
Bower
youth teamers (Lapworth etc)

based on that I'd give Lovett a new contract now
asl
Shade wrote:What is it with all the conspiracy theories as to where players are every week?!
We DEMAND to know who has been frozen out.
Robin
I am still confused by this rule, has Lovett missed a match before since we got back into the league?
Cheltenhamshire10
Robin wrote:I am still confused by this rule, has Lovett missed a match before since we got back into the league?
I think it's a rule change for this season, so last season it didn't matter. Previously it was just Home Grown, now they've added the single player from the clubs own academy (for the u19 season eligibility)

This was the first game Lovetts missed?
Ben3
As I appealed on another thread - could someone post up a link to a layman’s explanation of these rules? I don’t know what’s going on!

(RCS also if you have a link about FFP I’d love to read that)
Cheltenhamshire10
For "Homegrown" and "Academy developed" I thought this link explained it simply enough;

https://www.sports.legal/2017/04/part-o ... d-players/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just stop reading when they get to the Premier League so you don't confuse yourself between EFL rules and EPL rules
leohoenig
So, I take it that Lovett is "club-developed" because we signed him as an 18 year old and he therefore played one season as an U-19
He is also club developed at both Walsall and Rochdale, if wiki has his youth career correct

As Lovett missed the game, we had to bring in a "club-developed" player and so Lloyd was in the team rather than Bingham.

The FPP regulations are set out by the football league
https://www.efl.com/-more/governance/ef ... gulations/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Go to "Part 4" for League-2
Ben3
Thanks cheltenhanshire. I wasn’t aware of those rules, don’t know how I missed them.

Bringing together this and the other thread about the bottom two, the only way to make this work is to incentivise and/or punish clubs that don’t comply with money or points.

3 points for a season where you have two club developed players in 80% of matches for example?
kiaora84
Robin wrote:
But Lovett was not a homegrown player, we signed him from Aston Villa.
he was a free agent after being released from the youth setup by Rochdale. He was on loan at villa from Walsall at u14/15 level. I believe Cheltenham gave him is first pro contract.

I have watched Rhys quite a bit. If he can improve on his communication and command his box a bit more I think he will be a top, top keeper. We have a decent record with no.2s becoming long term no.1s hopefully Rhys gets that chance too.
Robin
I thought it was the other way around that he was at Villa and had been out on work experience at Rochdale but stand corrected. Like you here's hoping he can break through over the next couple of years.
Jon Palmer
Lovett was a scholar at Rochdale before joining Cheltenham.

The link was through his GK coach there Steve Collis who played for GJ at Yeovil Town.

He'll be back in the squad to face Bury, I understand.