A poem

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

drgm
Written by an unhappy FGR fan following their 2-1 home defeat to Lincoln. He seems
to understand his club only too well:

Those who love the Workers' Game
Feel nothing but regret and shame
When plastic poshos' from the seats
Grown sleek on East Stand cake and treats
Slag off the Lincoln style of play
Which earned six points, home and away
While we, alas , were weak and sappy
And full of bimbling tippy-tappy.

This is Div Four, where subtle skill
Gets crushed by speed, strength, height and will.
The Cowley brothers, (it's no sin !)
Know this too well: it's why they win.
asl
Excellent!
theidlerich
....which is why we are where we are........!
Shade
theidlerich wrote:....which is why we are where we are........!
I'd suggest not. We've significantly improved our results at home since playing the ball around more rather than hoofing it forward to players that don't prosper against big centre backs in the air.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:
theidlerich wrote:....which is why we are where we are........!
I'd suggest not. We've significantly improved our results at home since playing the ball around more rather than hoofing it forward to players that don't prosper against big centre backs in the air.
Passing around is great, if it leads to passes and runs forward, players in the box and shots on target. It is when teams pass it around sideways in their own half, going nowhere until finally giving the ball away which is ineffective.

My favourite stat I always look out for is the ratio of possession to shots on target. E.g. 70% possession with 1 shot on target shows the side is hopelessly ineffective at attacking and don’t deserve to win. 70% with 10 shots on target is devastating attacking play. This is why I get annoyed when people obsess over possession stats in isolation.
Shade
We're a work in progress and often go nowhere, but you can't deny our results overall have improved and we've been in more games since MD has tried to get us playing this way.
Red Duke
The poem was read out last night by Peter Matthews on Radio Glos / I-follow just before the match started.