Cheltenham Town v Bury

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and video reaction all here this evening: http://bit.ly/BuryHome19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ralph
Well that was good. Well earned point. We played well tonight. Bury looked dejected at the end
Cheltenhamshire10
Good point tonight, Bury will still go up, thought they looked good.
Horteng
Good point. Hopefully this will end the negative approach to games against teams near the top
Shade
The definition of a battling point. I said in the prediction thread that Bury only ever win by 1 away from home or not at all. Flinders kept us in it in the first half and we dealt with them pretty well in the second. A big bonus point.
Malabus
Dawson outstanding.
Shade
Agree. He's like Waters but actually a threat with the ball anywhere outside the 6 yard box.
vickeryc
An excellent, well-earned, point against technically the best footballing side we've played this season. It's easy to see why Bury are undefeated since Boxing Day (12 league games). It was refreshing to play a team who weren't fouling and/ or trying to con the ref all the time. They didn't need to because they retained possession very well and kept the ball on the ground.

All-in-all an entertaining game, which was undoubtedly a point gained through a gritty, battling, performance. Apart from the lapse which allowed the free header for their goal, the defence was awesome tonight. However, I thought Barnett deserved MoM - he won almost everything in the air and held the ball up really well. His distribution isn't always read by his team mates - Varney is the one who would've, but he was presumably being rested for Notts County on Saturday.
everyman
vickeryc wrote:An excellent, well-earned, point against technically the best footballing side we've played this season. It's easy to see why Bury are undefeated since Boxing Day (12 league games). It was refreshing to play a team who weren't fouling and/ or trying to con the ref all the time. They didn't need to because they retained possession very well and kept the ball on the ground.

All-in-all an entertaining game, which was undoubtedly a point gained through a gritty, battling, performance. Apart from the lapse which allowed the free header for their goal, the defence was awesome tonight. However, I thought Barnett deserved MoM - he won almost everything in the air and held the ball up really well. His distribution isn't always read by his team mates - Varney is the one who would've, but he was presumably being rested for Notts County on Saturday.
I thought the ref did well but both teams were brilliant in their attitude in a very important game for both clubs.Great credit to all.
little mo
vickeryc wrote:An excellent, well-earned, point against technically the best footballing side we've played this season. It's easy to see why Bury are undefeated since Boxing Day (12 league games). It was refreshing to play a team who weren't fouling and/ or trying to con the ref all the time. They didn't need to because they retained possession very well and kept the ball on the ground.

Reference Barnett, when he came on at half time on Saturday he made a big big difference. Their defenders didn't handle him well at all. Is his form improving as contract decision time approaches, like we used to get with Odejayi,hope not. Suppose it will depend on Duffo having any other irons in the fire.
Also against Mansfield , I thought Tillson did a great job at breaking play up and worked his butt off, but Exeter fans are right, his passing is not great. I still like him as a player though.
Johnsons Red Army
Good performance and well-deserved point.
Nesty
a good point and a good pointer to what we will achieve under MD when he has chance to fashion his own squad
Shade
I don't think Barnett is doing anything different now to when he arrived, apqrt from his fitness is better, so a bit harsh to say his form might be improving due to it nearing cpntract renewal time. Besides, he's effectively always been playing for a contract given he joined on loan and we only signed him in January for just 6 months.
Robin
Malabus wrote:Dawson outstanding.

Dawsons work rate was outstanding but other aspects were not great such as his end product, creativity or goal threat. I'd give him a lot of praise for working extremely hard but I'm not convinced he worth giving a new deal to at this moment.
Robin
little mo wrote:

Reference Barnett, when he came on at half time on Saturday he made a big big difference. Their defenders didn't handle him well at all. Is his form improving as contract decision time approaches, like we used to get with Odejayi,hope not. Suppose it will depend on Duffo having any other irons in the fire.
Also against Mansfield , I thought Tillson did a great job at breaking play up and worked his butt off, but Exeter fans are right, his passing is not great. I still like him as a player though.
I thought Tilson had his best game for us last night still not convinced we should sign him or that he's anywhere near as good as Nige but credit where it's due he did very well last night. Also give credit to Pring who grew into the game and actually looked league two standard last night even if he offered very little going forward defensively he was very good.
little mo
Shade wrote:I don't think Barnett is doing anything different now to when he arrived, apqrt from his fitness is better, so a bit harsh to say his form might be improving due to it nearing cpntract renewal time. Besides, he's effectively always been playing for a contract given he joined on loan and we only signed him in January for just 6 months.
With respect Shade, nowhere did I say it MIGHT be improving due to a contract renewal, simply asking (a bit tongue in cheek) if it could be connected mate. Big difference.
Shade
:lol: I thought you were suggesting that he might be improving. To me, the question inferred that you had seen a rise in performance from him on previous appearances. I know you weren't being overly serious but I thought it was worth bringing up I didn't think his performances have altered that much so I doubt he would improve on what he has shown already. Wouldn't be a bad thing if he banged a few more goals in, though.
shevates
Thought last nights game showed how much we have improved since the appointment of MD. We matched a very good bury side, and at times had them worried. As for mom i gave it to Tozer, won numerous challanges on the floor and in the air. Look fwd to County on Saturday
RichardMoss
Personally I thought Tilson looked very good last night. He clearly knows his limitations when it comes to technical ability and so keeps it simple which actually turned out to be very effective in my opinion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
RichardMoss wrote:Personally I thought Tilson looked very good last night. He clearly knows his limitations when it comes to technical ability and so keeps it simple which actually turned out to be very effective in my opinion

Win the ball, and lay it off short and quick to a better ball player. Classic defensive midfielder play. Turnover the ball quickly from defense to attack.

You can see that working really well if Hussey is the option for Tillson to shuffle the ball to, for example.
Ihearye
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
RichardMoss wrote:Personally I thought Tilson looked very good last night. He clearly knows his limitations when it comes to technical ability and so keeps it simple which actually turned out to be very effective in my opinion

Win the ball, and lay it off short and quick to a better ball player. Classic defensive midfielder play. Turnover the ball quickly from defense to attack.

You can see that working really well if Hussey is the option for Tillson to shuffle the ball to, for example.
Get you and your American defense :)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:

Get you and your American defense :)
Bloody iPhones