Attendance yesterday

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Just 2,788 in the home areas, with 291 in the away stand.

Better than the 2,137 home fans vs Cambridge in midweek or the 2,275 against Yeovil, but still disappointing that a fourth consecutive home win (albeit against weaker sides) was not seen by at least 3,000 home supporters.
Artemis
Rugby.
MSB
We're just not that attractive for the people of Cheltenham/Gloucestershire to come and watch at the moment and in reality, apart from the cup games and the final game or two of the NL winning season we haven't been for a long time. Yes we may have just won our fourth home game on the trot, but who, apart from those that attend week in week out, know that?

The advertising of our club has never been good, and when it has been, it's been down to creative thinking from supporters (see the billboard idea a few years back). I know that we won't have the biggest marketing budget in the world, but there's nothing in town to show we have a football team. I honestly don't believe it would cost too much to advertise the football club in the town centre. Create links with pubs, bars, restaurants, shops etc. Bus stops (we have a bus going directly past the ground), use as advertising tools. I appreciate that we may not be able to afford to advertise everywhere, but there must be some creative people within the club that can come up with some ideas?

I just feel that the club is always advertising to their captured audience already. They've got my money, they've got your money, how many times have you seen Craig David being advertised? Where is the CTFC advertisement?
Robin
We've been shite for almost ten years now with the one season under GJ being the exception.

I don't believe rugby was a major factor either we used to get 4000+ back in the day when Gloucester played at home so no reason why we still cannot.
Del Boy
Robin wrote:We've been shite for almost ten years now with the one season under GJ being the exception.

I don't believe rugby was a major factor either we used to get 4000+ back in the day when Gloucester played at home so no reason why we still cannot.
We made the play-offs in 2012 and 2013.
Ihearye
going out on a limb and guessing RCS means the 6 nations Rugby clash
asl
I confess that the Eng v Wales was my excuse for staying away. Wish I'd gone to Whaddon Road, by the end... :(
Robin
I must admit I didn't even know the six nations was on or who was playing but as you know I'm not a rugby fan.
Lord Elpuz
I don’t think the weather helped over the weekend, it’s been glorious, and there would have been plenty of people wanting to make use of the early rays of sunshine before it turns cooler again - we are still in Winter, though that’s hard enough to believe! Football is a Winter sport after all.

But it was a very poor turnout even though we have become a very difficult side to beat at home, and winning those home games is a good start in attracting customers.

We probably need to do more to catch the kids and in turn catch the parents. FGR we’re giving away free shirts for their kids, which they can clearly afford to do, but some form of enduring inducement perhaps is required by CTFC to bring in even more of tomorrows fans (and their parents). I wonder whether we could do something like giving away a free junior size shirt (with their name on the back, or signed by the Players) with a set of tickets purchased for a child and an adult, on a stamped card, once the card has been stamped for a set of home games, they qualify for a free junior shirt. Once the child has the shirt, they would be more inclined to want to watch their team each home game.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
A family member shares my season ticket and goes to most games. They didn’t know the Cambridge game was on until I mentioned it when on the phone on Monday evening. That’s an indication of the how limited our marketing is.
Jerry St Clair
I was just thinking that if we were in the top 6 on a promotion hunt, there would have been 4500 there on Saturday. And suddenly the rugby, weather and club marketing would not have been a big problem. It's pretty straight forward - fans turn out to watch successful teams. But then I checked the stats......

In this week in 2012, when we were on a promotion hunt, we were home to Wimbledon and Burton on successive weekend. The attendances were 2600 and 2900
Ben3
Despite what the moaning minority on here say...

This may well end up being our tenth most successful season on our history. EVER!!

It will be our best season in the past six years

We are being successful. We’re just not winning the champions league...

I wonder if everyone on here posted positively from June to August whether attendances would be up at start of next year? Talked the team and club up, enjoyed any new signings?

I have said for years that, although there is only a small core of posters, this site is read widely, and the same old few who only post when we lose (and disappear when we win) share some responsibility. And I bet they also moan on and on and on at work and in the pub etc

Best marketing is results. Second best is word of mouth
horlickfanclub
Well said Ben3. Sensible ,rational points made . 2,200-2800 is our usual range of home support so Saturday was not bad .
Lord Elpuz
Lord Elpuz wrote:I don’t think the weather helped over the weekend, it’s been glorious, and there would have been plenty of people wanting to make use of the early rays of sunshine before it turns cooler again - we are still in Winter, though that’s hard enough to believe! Football is a Winter sport after all.

But it was a very poor turnout even though we have become a very difficult side to beat at home, and winning those home games is a good start in attracting customers.

We probably need to do more to catch the kids and in turn catch the parents. FGR we’re giving away free shirts for their kids, which they can clearly afford to do, but some form of enduring inducement perhaps is required by CTFC to bring in even more of tomorrows fans (and their parents). I wonder whether we could do something like giving away a free junior size shirt (with their name on the back, or signed by the Players) with a set of tickets purchased for a child and an adult, on a stamped card, once the card has been stamped for a set of home games, they qualify for a free junior shirt. Once the child has the shirt, they would be more inclined to want to watch their team each home game.
Was I right, or was I right?

Well done to Cheltenham Town FC for giving away free shirts to all Under 16’s purchasing early bird season tickets for the 2019/2020 season. A fantastic offer by the Club which will help provide tomorrow’s fans today. Awesome news.