15 goalkeepers in 900 Football League games

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Full rundown here: http://bit.ly/15Gks900Games" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What's your top three and why?
Si Robin
In reverse order:

3. Steve Book - a legend and was our first Football League keeper. Absolutely World class when he didn't have time to think about what he was doing. Appalling when he did have time.

2. Shane Higgs - his performance against Doncaster in May 2008 alone would get him in the top 3. I don't think I've ever seen a better performance from any keeper at any level.

1. Scott Brown - So criminally underrated on here by a number of posters and even by people I go to games with. Yes, he made mistakes, but he was outstanding more often than not. There was no-one I trusted dealing with crosses more in the last 5 mins of games - which was weird because for the first 85 mins he was always a bit like a vampire. Undoubtedly one of the main reasons we stayed up in the 16/17 season, especially with his penalty saves against Morecambe and Orient. It was scandalous that GJ wouldn't pay the nominal fee Wycombe wanted for him. Don't just take my word for it though, read what Vale fans think of him - many included him in their team of the decade. He's only been there a couple of seasons. What's more - he's a genuinely top bloke to boot.

I know many will include Jack Butland in their top 3, and I liked him a lot when he was here. I genuinely believe people's opinions are clouded by what he went on to achieve rather than how he actually did at Whaddon Road.
Shade
3. Brown. He made mistakes, quite a lot of them at one time and his kicking used to be atrocious, so he can't be any higher than third, imo. There's a good reason why MY dropped him and brought in Butland at that time.

2. Butland.

1. Higgs. Outstanding shotstopper. I remember him away at Carlisle one year. We got absolutely battered but he somehow almost single-handedly kept Carlisle to one, allowing Finners to literally steal us a point right at the death on the break. That's just the kind of thing he did week-in, week-out.
Artemis
1. Flinders - exceptionally solid. Won us many points in his tenure. Will be missed. And can save penalties
2. Higgs - exceptional shot-stopper. Occasional wobbles under the high ball and couldn't save a penalty if I recall correctly, but magnificent on occasions.
3. Brown - too much mis-directed kicking to warrant a higher placing, but otherwise under-rated, and suffered in comparison with Butland's Eng U-21 reputation
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
1. Higgs. That Doncaster game must be one of the most ridiculous 1 vs 11 matches since Paul Rachubka for West Ham vs Man U to win the title for Blackburn in 95.

2. Scott Brown. People said enough above.

3. Booky. Legend as a keeper and a great job as coach as well.
Si Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:1. Higgs. That Doncaster game must be one of the most ridiculous 1 vs 11 matches since Paul Rachubka for West Ham vs Man U to win the title for Blackburn in 95.

2. Scott Brown. People said enough above.

3. Booky. Legend as a keeper and a great job as coach as well.
Ludek Miklosko?