coronovirus

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

longtimerobin
If games were postponed so much confusion would follow, some players may be out of contract by the time rearranged games are played etc. If played behind closed doors would it be possible to let just season tickets holders in . By doing that their would at least be some atsmopher, there would be no issue of returning money for postponed matches. Plenty of space for fans to keep apart from each other. The players safety being the most important issue of course and they would have to agree on weather to play or not. This could only work for the lower league clubs though.
cagliostro
I have just shared this with all my business colleagues and may be useful for those of us in business and those traveling around:
https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboar ... 484dd4bb14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Cag
Shade
Thinking about it, if it can be managed, putting the season off for 2 or 3 months might be a good thing for us. Tozer and Varney could be fit and pitches should be better by the time we restart.
asl
Shade wrote:Thinking about it, if it can be managed, putting the season off for 2 or 3 months might be a good thing for us. Tozer and Varney could be fit and pitches should be better by the time we restart.
Someone rightly pointed out that players may be out of contract come the resumption of the season. Most player contracts expire 1st Jul, don't they?
Jerry St Clair
Confirmed: EFL postposted until 3 April.
Robin
All games postponed until 3rd April, sensible precautionary measure I feel. Assuming we restart then and play the rest of the games in May it's been very well dealt.
Jerry St Clair
Yep, no other option.

Though the suspension will surely likely be extended into May if the predicted peak hits in April/May.
Shade
asl wrote:
Shade wrote:Thinking about it, if it can be managed, putting the season off for 2 or 3 months might be a good thing for us. Tozer and Varney could be fit and pitches should be better by the time we restart.
Someone rightly pointed out that players may be out of contract come the resumption of the season. Most player contracts expire 1st Jul, don't they?

Yes, but I assume that all contracts would be extended until the 'end of the season' by default.
Shade
Robin wrote:All games postponed until 3rd April, sensible precautionary measure I feel. Assuming we restart then and play the rest of the games in May it's been very well dealt.
Newport postponed for a 3rd time then!!!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
f#!$ that s#!t. Refund submitted for £130 train ticket refund.
Nesty
70,000 at the races today LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! where is the frigging consistency !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
dont get me wrong - measures need to be taken, but lets be consistent !
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:70,000 at the races today LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! where is the frigging consistency !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
My train to work, office building, supermarket, etc all have more people in close proximity to me than going to a Cheltenham away game would. Yet there is no advice I shouldn’t do those things. If I should stop doing those things I will as measures need to be taken as you say, but let’s have consistency. Is football a bigger risk than any other gathering of people? Or are they just going above and beyond to make a point / reacting to a couple of their own testing positive?
Robin
Nesty wrote:70,000 at the races today LOL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! where is the frigging consistency !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
The issue seems to be a lack of leadership at government level instead we've got different organisations doing their own thing. Races seem to believe they are fine to go ahead, football bodies don't feel it's safe, what are the egg chasers doing?
Shade
How is it a lack of leadership at government level? They said yesterday what they believe the people of this country should do. This isn't a dictatorship and no strict controls have been put in place yet, so if people want to ignore that advice and do other things then that is down to them. The reason that the PL has been shut down is because several teams or players within those teams are in quarantine, the same as any other business will be if they have employees that have it that have been in contact with others. The EFL are just being sheep. The National League hasn't been called off yet.
Robin
Sorry Shade don't wish to politicise this but there is no real guidance from the government, it seems to be left to individual organisations to take action. But outside of football I see Northern Ireland are considering ignoring guidance from Westminster and following the Republic of Ireland in terms of closing schools, meanwhile Scottish government have done their own thing and stopped all gatherings on over 500 people.
Shade
I don't know what you're talking about. There is extremely clear guidance from the government and the top advisors - carry on and self isolate if you think you're coming down with it. How is that not clear guidance? As I said, if others want to ignore that advice that is up to them. Guidance doesn't mean "lockdown".
ThelmaChen
My wife is being treated for leukemia and as such has no immunity. I am approaching 70 so come into the danger group of ages. I feel that my season is over anyway. I just cannot risk taking the virus home.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:I don't know what you're talking about. There is extremely clear guidance from the government and the top advisors - carry on and self isolate if you think you're coming down with it. How is that not clear guidance? As I said, if others want to ignore that advice that is up to them. Guidance doesn't mean "lockdown".
What we want is guidance on gatherings, travel and events etc. Are we to be guided by football authorities who are telling us attending matches is a risk to safety, or should we be guided by rugby who say there is no risk? It is either a risk or it isn’t and the government should be saying whether it is or it isn’t.
asl
A friend of my niece is getting married in Ireland over the weekend. She's so far had 80 people drop out and the church has said they will accommodate no more than two people to a pew (so it's a good job those folk dropped out.) The hotel is happy to carry on with the reduced numbers, but probably wouldn't if the expected crowd had arrived.
Robin
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Shade wrote:I don't know what you're talking about. There is extremely clear guidance from the government and the top advisors - carry on and self isolate if you think you're coming down with it. How is that not clear guidance? As I said, if others want to ignore that advice that is up to them. Guidance doesn't mean "lockdown".
What we want is guidance on gatherings, travel and events etc. Are we to be guided by football authorities who are telling us attending matches is a risk to safety, or should we be guided by rugby who say there is no risk? It is either a risk or it isn’t and the government should be saying whether it is or it isn’t.
Well said RCS, there is no clear leadership. Take the lead tell us what is safe and why so we can all choose our path and understand. Clearly the guidance we are getting is not sufficient. I do now begin to question why our government is not being more decisive given that medical experts outright state the only way to manage this is through social distancing.
SHANDY VOR
As the resident 'alternative thinker', I would be interested to know what conspiracy theory Malabus believes in as to the cause of the virus and what will eventually come to pass
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
SHANDY VOR wrote:As the resident 'alternative thinker', I would be interested to know what conspiracy theory Malabus believes in as to the cause of the virus and what will eventually come to pass
Flat Earth FC’s match called off, with administration looming as a result of lost revenue. 5,000+ and counting global deaths a small collateral price to pay for NASA to SILENCE the Flat Earth truth tellers.
Ihearye
Robin - what clear advice do you need? The advice is, go about your daily business as per normal. However, pay extra attention to your own personal hygine. While at the same time being aware of those most vunerable. Do you need to be spoon fed on every aspect of your daily life? Just because a few board members of the EFL decide to cancel games for a couple of weeks, should we all of a sudden go into panic mode and becomer survialists?
AS for NI looking at closing schools. Sinn Fien ask for NI to folow same rules as RoI. No shock there.
What we need is a few less Cpl Jones running around social media. If the worst that happens is that you are slightly inconvenienced. Then you are own a winner. Apart from that, take some personal responsibility. I tend to think the medical and scientific experts know a tad more about disease control that the EFL
Malabus
Looks like the Premier League are going to announce on Thursday that the current season will end with immediate effect.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ihearye wrote:Robin - what clear advice do you need? The advice is, go about your daily business as per normal. However, pay extra attention to your own personal hygine. While at the same time being aware of those most vunerable. Do you need to be spoon fed on every aspect of your daily life? Just because a few board members of the EFL decide to cancel games for a couple of weeks, should we all of a sudden go into panic mode and becomer survialists?
AS for NI looking at closing schools. Sinn Fien ask for NI to folow same rules as RoI. No shock there.
What we need is a few less Cpl Jones running around social media. If the worst that happens is that you are slightly inconvenienced. Then you are own a winner. Apart from that, take some personal responsibility. I tend to think the medical and scientific experts know a tad more about disease control that the EFL
Well the Government are set to ban large gatherings of people from next weekend onwards so choice being taken out of our hands.
theidlerich
It depends on who you wish to believe. If you look at most medical opinion from very senior medical staff whether locally or nationally the consensus is we should have been more proactive more earlier. If you wish to follow Governments advice; remember this is themes deceitful, lying bunch of self interested despots seen for many a year. They have deliberately run down the NHS for years; fewer staff; fewer [considerably fewer] beds; equipment shortages etc etc... . They are flattening the curve solely because they are well aware that the NHS as it is now will not and cannot cope!
Chickens home to roost.... but willing to bet they have priority on care!
ctfc-fan
theidlerich wrote:It depends on who you wish to believe. If you look at most medical opinion from very senior medical staff whether locally or nationally the consensus is we should have been more proactive more earlier. If you wish to follow Governments advice; remember this is themes deceitful, lying bunch of self interested despots seen for many a year. They have deliberately run down the NHS for years; fewer staff; fewer [considerably fewer] beds; equipment shortages etc etc... . They are flattening the curve solely because they are well aware that the NHS as it is now will not and cannot cope!
Utter tosh. Do you not think the medical officers at the Government know what they’re talking about?

Check this guy out, talks complete sense and he’s not even a fan of the government. Too many armchair doctors and professors around on social media these days.
Malabus
When the current season is suspended how do we claim refunds [Season tickets remaining + away tickets and coach travel]. Any chance we get anything back!
joes dad
ctfc-fan wrote:
theidlerich wrote:It depends on who you wish to believe. If you look at most medical opinion from very senior medical staff whether locally or nationally the consensus is we should have been more proactive more earlier. If you wish to follow Governments advice; remember this is themes deceitful, lying bunch of self interested despots seen for many a year. They have deliberately run down the NHS for years; fewer staff; fewer [considerably fewer] beds; equipment shortages etc etc... . They are flattening the curve solely because they are well aware that the NHS as it is now will not and cannot cope!
Utter tosh. Do you not think the medical officers at the Government know what they’re talking about?

Check this guy out, talks complete sense and he’s not even a fan of the government. Too many armchair doctors and professors around on social media these days.
You are too polite with utter tosh :D :D

Idlerich you need to stop reading the Guardian
slinky_dog
Malabus wrote:When the current season is suspended how do we claim refunds [Season tickets remaining + away tickets and coach travel]. Any chance we get anything back!

My view is the opposite. Given 5 lost homes games is going to cost the club £200,000, I would be very happy to pay the club the £100 that I am saving if the season is called off. And given a gift does not carry VAT, then I guess it would only need to be closer to £80.

I don’t think the club should be backward in holding out the begging bowl. I have had more entertainment this year than the last seven seasons added together. And I would be gutted if we end up cutting next year’s budget to plug a shortfall.
Last edited by slinky_dog on 14 Mar 2020, 20:01, edited 1 time in total.
Ihearye
Good grief. They say they are working to flatten the curve because they know the NHS can't cope with a big spike. Yet you argue that they are trying to decieve us? You even confirm their statement in your post.
Ihearye
slinky_dog wrote:
Malabus wrote:When the current season is suspended how do we claim refunds [Season tickets remaining + away tickets and coach travel]. Any chance we get anything back!

My view is the opposite. Given 5 lost homes games is going to cost the club £200,000, I would be very happy to pay the club the £100 that I am saving if the season is called off. And given a gift does not carry VAT, then I guess it would only need to be closer to £80.

I don’t think the club should be backward in holding out the begging bowl. I have had more entertainment this year than the last seven seasons added together. And I would be gutted if we end up cutting next year’s budget to plug a shortfall.
I certainly won't be looking for a refund on any tickets
paperboy
..one thing that clubs might consider is to put 20/21 season tickets on sale ASAP to help with cashflow.
In our case they could be offered at League 2 prices, but with the carrot being that we could somehow be in League 1.

Fair to say that whatever happens in the world over the next 12 months the legal profession will do well with lawsuits flying around everywhere.
King giraffe iii
I keep hearing Bozo and his two flankers talking about science but they haven't shared the science with us. What are their claims based on?

Like you theidlerich I have severe doubts about the government's plan and how trustworthy they are. Working in the public sector, I've seen how it has been allowed to be run down by successive Tory governments. I know people who work for the NHS on the frontline and they've been saying for a good few years just how badly prepared it is for something on this scale.

At the same time, all disaster management planning by British governments since WW2 has been about continuity of government as opposed to public health or welfare. So that isn't just the Tories.

Robert Peston has written tonight that the government is planning to take over private hospitals, hotels and military hospitals if necessary. Shut schools too, albeit with childcare for key workers. Hopefully someone will shut down the crazy panic buyers who now seem to have stripped every supermarket of every pasta sauce and egg in Gloucestershire. They do know the eggs have an expiry date?
King giraffe iii
ThelmaChen wrote:My wife is being treated for leukemia and as such has no immunity. I am approaching 70 so come into the danger group of ages. I feel that my season is over anyway. I just cannot risk taking the virus home.
Sorry to hear this and I wish you both well. Look after yourselves. I have an elderly relative who is going into lockdown with another, younger, family relative. The rest of us will be doing their shopping and dropping it off for them. I hope you can arrange something similar.