League One here we come?!

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Well, L1 might decide among themselves that nobody is being relegated or promoted and we're back to square one?
Good point. Let’s see what L1 decide on Monday.
Horteng
Why cant top 7 be decided on PPG? I cant see its fair that the top 3 are decided on PPG but some clubs have to play the playoffs?

All games (Which I do not agree with) or no games should be played IMO
Robin
Shade wrote:Well, L1 might decide among themselves that nobody is being relegated or promoted and we're back to square one?
Don't beleive that's an option the EFL/FA have the final decision and confirm it at their next meeting. Seems they want to run play offs in all leagues but league one is likely to go points per game and Championship may also follow.
paperboy
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Good point. Let’s see what L1 decide on Monday.
Yes agree.

I'm not sure that stating that their preferred option is to promote 4 teams but relegate none will seem very fair to many people and I envisage League 1 voting to follow suit and relegate 3 teams at most.

Hopefully that won't be ratified.
paperboy
Loved this statement from League One clubs.

There were varied views shared in League One and it was determined that there would be a further period of reflection and consultation to understand what creative solutions could be implemented. It was acknowledged that the need to find innovative and creative solutions was of paramount importance as was the need for decisions to be taken quickly.

"Innovative and creative solutions"

Hilarious!
Robin
League one were set to relegate three teams regardless due to Bury folding so nothing has changed in that regard.
paperboy
Robin wrote:League one were set to relegate three teams regardless due to Bury folding so nothing has changed in that regard.
Apologies- you are correct Robin.
ctfc-fan
The best thing out of this is that FGR have another year in League 2 no matter what!!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:The best thing out of this is that FGR have another year in League 2 no matter what!!
Unless the crisis bankrupts them!
tunnelvision
I'm hoping that the idea of PPG & playoffs was to make the decision less contentious for most clubs. Far easier to then resolve the final promotion place, if playoffs can't be completed.

My own view, regardless of our position, is that playoffs shouldn't go ahead, and I don't really see how they can. Apart from the obvious health issues, there's also serious issues about how they can be funded (Exeter estimated that it would cost them 400K) together with the integrity of the squads. On the second point, we already know that some key players are unlikely to return to training, I've also no idea what the situation is regarding our loanees and, if the playoffs can't be completed before the end of June, then many others will be out of contract. It's a complete farce, so I'm hoping my initial analysis is correct, although the EFL/FA track record doesn't fill me with any confidence.