BBC sports web site - league 2 reactions

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

CKCharlie
Interesting to hear Tozers comments
Best wishes must go out to Reuben and his wife.
Shade
Yeah, just saw that. As I said yesterday, if playoffs do happen anytime this year then some players are understandably going to pull out and the clubs will have to support their decisions.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Also Tozer’s frustration at not being promoted yet, or being given the chance to win automatic promotion is something we all feel.
Ihearye
It has become a Brian Rix.

With PL teams saying they need 4 - 6 weeks to get match fit and no chance of taking to the pitch before the end of June. Why should we be treated like second class citizens and be shoe horned into playoffs. If Port Vale were talked out of it because of tests costing £140,00. Who is paying that for us? How many tests does that cover? Void the season, weighted PPG for ALL teams or let us play all the games at a time to suit, procrastinated long enough. Any credibility PL and EFL etc ever had, has gone. Shouldn't have been too difficult to come up with one unified statement, rather than let individual leagues air their preferences, then the powers that be eventually make a decision
Robin
Are we assuming the play offs will be in June? With the Premiership not concluding until August one option could be to do the same and run the play offs in July/August - assuming it's safer to do so at that point.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Are we assuming the play offs will be in June? With the Premiership not concluding until August one option could be to do the same and run the play offs in July/August - assuming it's safer to do so at that point.
If not in June then will clubs be expected to cover contract extensions for players who are going to be released or signed by someone else in the close season? How long will these contract extensions have to be - one month or two?

I think all players have to be treated equally. Ie If a player who is set to move in the summer is obligated to play for us in the play offs, then a player who we are going to release should also get the same month or two extension.

Imagine play offs are scheduled for August, with the new season set to start in September or October. Now imagine someone wants to sign Broom for £500k. Do they have to wait until after the play offs to make the bid? If not, and we accept the bid and he signs in July can he still play for us in the playoffs? Who covers the insurance - us or the new club?
Robin
The Prem is not finishing until August and UEFA want to run the Europa/Champs league then too. Given the prem will not finish it means all leagues cannot start until promotion/relegation is finalised. That almost certainly means the transfer window will not open until end of August I would imagine.

Chances of next season starting in September are therefore very low.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:The Prem is not finishing until August and UEFA want to run the Europa/Champs league then too. Given the prem will not finish it means all leagues cannot start until promotion/relegation is finalised. That almost certainly means the transfer window will not open until end of August I would imagine.

Chances of next season starting in September are therefore very low.
If the close season is not open until August, then will we be compensated for having to pay two additional months wages?
Robin
Good question and like many others I haven't seen any guidance on that as priority appears to be how we settle this season first.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Swindon owner reckons 30-40% of L1 and L2 clubs will go bankrupt without financial assistance: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52706893" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And Burton part ways with Clough to cut costs: https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... tting-move" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The authorities need to do something soon.
Robin
September restart feels incredibly optimistic but how do you plan survival for clubs when we don't know when crowds/revenue will resume? Furlough scheme is here until October at least and hopefully our club has the increased league one TV revenue as a cushion but I doubt that would do more than cover the existing wage bill.
Hubert Parry
I think this is the point. Promotion is all very well and good if we have a club to compete in League One. I'm far more concerned about the financial implications than the playoff opportunities at this time.

Clive Gowing and Paul Godfrey will obviously have far greater visibility over these things, but competing in the playoffs together with all the associated costs causes me a great deal of concern. I'm struggling to see how many clubs will survive through this period with significant external support.
Malabus
Why the three teams above us get a free pass to L1 and us with a game hand looking easily to finish in the top three is a criminal act and totally unfair.
If Swindon and Plymouth were in the playoffs we wouldn't see the position we have been harshly dealt.
Robin
I saw some talk that the testing would be centrally funded, is that not the case? Costs of that are probably higher than our wage bill for a month.