Live NOW: Q&A with Duff, Wilcox, PG and M Moore

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
On from 3pm to 4pm live on the club website

https://www.ctfc.com/news/2020/may/join ... qa-at-3pm/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Fuller
Excellent - well done to all those involved with the Q&A.

Most importantly - our club is in safe hands.
Robin
Thanks RCS, just watching this now, what a great idea.
paperboy
Agree, excellent.

All the participants impressed hugely with their level- headed, strategic approach in this unique situation.
Thanks to them all and particularly to Rich Joyce for hosting so proficiently- I'm sure Horteng will agree. :-)

The only shock was that I didn't see a single bookshelf in view.
Robin
So next season to start in September at the earliest (feels optimistic to me) and likely be to behind closed doors (how will it be funded then?
Robin
Also so Thomas and Boyle had signed new deals back in Feb it just wasn't announced.
Hubert Parry
Thanks for putting this together! Great stuff Richard.

I don't know if it is just me, but I found Paul Godfrey difficult to hear on the question about the four clubs footing the bill for the playoffs. I would be very grateful if someone could summarise the answer.
Robin
He was difficult to hear for me also but my takeaway was that all four clubs have collectively asked for additional funding. Additionally:
- It seems the EFL may fund the testing costs.
- TV Revenue between leagues one and two not a huge difference, the big jump is into the Championship.
- Clubs do receive a small amount of money for the two legged semi-finals from Sky.
- There is no TV money for the final, the clubs have requested some central funding for this also.
- As a club we are on in the short term (unlike lots of others) but the big test will be next season if we have to start with no crowds and no furlough scheme.
paperboy
The puzzling fact for me was that Reuben had triggered a contract extension.
As he only started a handful of games and been sub a few times the clause couldn't have been too onerous.
That said I'm pleased he doesn't have to worry about his job at the moment.
Robin
A fit and firing Reuben could easilly do a job in league one however my concern is the amount of injuries he's had this season so much so that he's probably only been peak form for 3-4 games. I would have given him another year though especially if we fail in the play offs.
Si Robin
I note there was talk of a new home kit for next season. As no mention of an away kit this means we can look forward to another Errea masterpiece. 23 years and going strong with them now. I think only Adidas and Bayern Munich have a longer standing agreement in club football.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:I note there was talk of a new home kit for next season. As no mention of an away kit this means we can look forward to another Errea masterpiece. 23 years and going strong with them now. I think only Adidas and Bayern Munich have a longer standing agreement in club football.
Club just deliberately trolling SuperKoz.
Ihearye
Robin wrote:He was difficult to hear for me also but my takeaway was that all four clubs have collectively asked for additional funding. Additionally:
- It seems the EFL may fund the testing costs.
- TV Revenue between leagues one and two not a huge difference, the big jump is into the Championship.
- Clubs do receive a small amount of money for the two legged semi-finals from Sky.
- There is no TV money for the final, the clubs have requested some central funding for this also.
- As a club we are on in the short term (unlike lots of others) but the big test will be next season if we have to start with no crowds and no furlough scheme.
More or less what I think I heard. Personally, it looks like we are being told what to do. Without any clear indication as to where the money is coming from and how much. Very poorly run by the EFL, to enforce playoffs, without any hint of a plan as to what support the 4 teams will get. The expense could quickly scoop up any spare cash knocking about at the clubs impacted.. If not fully covered. Whatever way you look at it. Four clubs will be worse of than their competitors next season , financially
Shade
It's the fact that this appears to be going ahead before League One have even sorted themselves out. If we go through the whole play-off thing, no matter who wins, if League One eventually agree no promotion or relegation (save for maybe Swindon going up due to only having 23 in L1) then it will have been a lot of time, effort, money and possibly health wasted for nothing. Even if the EFL then put their foot down, if there are teams that still don't accept it this could go on for a long time.
Robin
EFL have already said promotion and relegation happens, clubs in league one are only voting on how to conclude the season nothing else.
Robin
Regarding next season there seems to be some background chatter that we may see crowds in some sort again within 2020. Possible options include the following:
- Season ticket holders only.
- 25% capacity for first few months then increased to 50% if all goes well.
- No away fans in grounds.

Interesting times but lower league football needs to look at this to survive I feel.
bigdavejambo
interesting thing is if this virus makes a reapperance early next year then we are back to square one
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
bigdavejambo wrote:interesting thing is if this virus makes a reapperance early next year then we are back to square one
Especially if there are local or regional lockdowns.
duckers
There could be a vaccine available by then, or close to being, all being well.
Horteng
Is Paul Godfrey still on dial up internet?
Ihearye
Horteng wrote:Is Paul Godfrey still on dial up internet?
They are some people right now saying ' what is a dial up internet' :)
Horteng
And is the chairman wearing his wifes blouse?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Horteng wrote:And is the chairman wearing his wifes blouse?
He certainly has a different look to Paul Baker. I know which style of chap I would rather by a used car or double glazing from.