Funding

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
EFL and the Premier League communicating only through the BBC by the looks of things...https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54284737" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would have thought the simplest and fairest way to do this would be for the Premier League money to be handed out to each club based on what they earned in average gate receipts last season, and just make a payment every month that this goes on? It would be unfair for Birmingham and Exeter to not receive anything because they have done good business.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
It wouldn’t just be unfair; it would be perverse.

I would actually argue for the reverse.

By which I mean, allocate funding based on the % profit of each club or how close to break even they were, on average over the last three years.

This means well run clubs are rewarded and mismanaged or poorly run clubs are not rewarded.

A systemic shock like the game is facing is an opportunity to change things for the better. Rewarding clubs which are well run rather than those which are poorly run is a way of incentivising people to change.

The EFL could even do something like stagger the payments over the next three years, so that poorly run clubs have time to try and change their ways, and well run ones can’t take the money and splurge it all recklessly.

As a sport I think we all need to say enough is enough. We do not want a situation where a club is given a bailout now only in a couple of years to be spending well beyond its means, or finding loopholes in salary caps/FFP rules.
Nham68
Need a salary cap in the PL . Too many parasites bleeding huge sums of money out the game, starving the life out of lower league and grass roots. We risk losing lower leagues and clubs folding en masse .. though would hope the EFL would allow clubs mothballed for a time ,,,
How it can be justified to pay £200k+ / week for kicking a ball during a pandemic When millions are losing their basic incomes, is bang out of order .
No leadership from PL ... it’s every club for themselves . To see the PL chairman bleating about financial woes on the TV last week was sickening .. get some freakin perspective !
Ihearye
Shade wrote:EFL and the Premier League communicating only through the BBC by the looks of things...https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/54284737" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I would have thought the simplest and fairest way to do this would be for the Premier League money to be handed out to each club based on what they earned in average gate receipts last season, and just make a payment every month that this goes on? It would be unfair for Birmingham and Exeter to not receive anything because they have done good business.
Follows the trend of most benefits - means tested and can't see any problem with that.