Cheltenham Town Ladies v Gillingham Women

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Live updates from the Jonny-Rocks Stadium here this afternoon: http://bit.ly/CTLadiesvGills" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Unlucky. Lost 2-1 to an extra time goal in the second half.

So it is Gillingham who go through to lose 10+ nil to Arsenal.
paperboy
Played well.
Go out with their heads held high.
Hubert Parry
I watched most of it and I can see Arsenal having a bit of fun. As you would expect, the difference in standard is pretty vast.

Great effort and a nice milestone to build from next season.

As an aside, is there any reason why we are named "Ladies" rather than "Women"?
Shade
It's classier and we are a classy town? Ladies sounds much better than Women, in a team name, in my opinion. Not getting into symantics. Just a better ring to the word.

If the blokes had to have a gender attached, I would hope we would go for Cheltemham Town Gentlemen.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:It's classier and we are a classy town? Ladies sounds much better than Women, in a team name, in my opinion. Not getting into symantics. Just a better ring to the word.

If the blokes had to have a gender attached, I would hope we would go for Cheltemham Town Gentlemen.
Most teams are moving away from the outdated and patronising ladies to women. We will eventually but just seem to be a bit slow.

I call them the Cheltenham women’s team anyway.
asl
My local badminton league refers to 'Ladies'. 99% certain the local darts and tennis leagues do the same. Never heard any objections from participants.
asl
Equality would probably mean suffixing the word 'Men's' when referring to that team in the same way as we currently only do with the Ladies team. In fact, I've started to notice the BBC doing exactly that, more and more.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Just one article from a few years ago: https://www.independent.co.uk/voices/ch ... 80231.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also covered in the Telegraph before people kick off about it just being the Independent: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/0 ... em-ladies/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wimbledon is the only elite sport which still uses ‘Ladies’, but they also use ‘Gentlemen’s’....both hangovers from the time when it was a competition for self-funded amateurs rather than dirty professionals.
Ihearye
asl wrote:My local badminton league refers to 'Ladies'. 99% certain the local darts and tennis leagues do the same. Never heard any objections from participants.
Ah but ASL don't you realise that you are a patronising, misogynistic dinosaur lol

Or it could be that the well know trait of RCS as lacking any empathy, devoid of any notion of respect, and endlessly believing nobody in the world could have a valid opinion, apart from himself. Of course he does from time to time bestow the privilege on others , of briefly expressing an opinion before his toxicity levels get to much and his mass slips once more.
It takes a special kind of human being to complain that someone's death caused him to miss part of Match of the Day. Or that someone's funeral would cause him any inconvenience. Irrespective of who the people are, the minimum a human of any kind of compassion is to give dignity in death and the subsequent burial. He sinks to new hidden shallows continually. His parents must be so proud. He is full of Jim Beam wisdom

You are in fact more in touch with what the majority of people in the UK think ASL than our intrepid quoter of newspaper articles. After all, we all know how aligned to public thinking they are hahaha.

As recently as 2019 yougov researched this exact topic. *%% found using the term ladies (between females), was not offensive. While 83% saw it as acceptable for men to use the term ladies. over 50% consider it always ok to use the term irrespective of who was using it.

Then again, 85% of the population are not as smart as a couple of posters on here would have you believe they are.
Hubert Parry
Eh?

All he did was respond to my initial post and linked a couple of articles. Your response is way over the top.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Crikey. Someone’s been brewing and stewing over the weekend.

Back on topic, what the Gillingham and Portsmouth games show is that the women’s team can compete with teams in the division above, which is the third tier.

Portsmouth were third in the third tier when the league was postponed, just a couple of places off top. Winning promotion would have seen them playing against former WSL teams like Liverpool next season in the Championship.

Whilst the quality of the third and fourth tiers is still both a) relatively poor and b) similar it only takes a couple of good signings and a little bit of investment to make a serious push for promotion to the Championship.

Cheltenham would get relegated from the Championship in all likelihood, but the bottom half is a completely different from the top half who include the pro teams and ex-WSL teams.

A problem in women’s sport in general is that lack of quality in depth. Some friends of ours play women’s rugby for a local league side and after a couple of good seasons they suddenly found themselves in the national top flight. As they were just mates who played for fun a couple of times a week when they had time coming up against pro teams and international players at the likes of Saracens was a farce. So they basically resigned from the league and all left to play local league rugby again.

I feel it the Cheltenham women’s football team did get a couple of promotions then the same thing would happen and we’d be losing 12-0 to the likes of Liverpool or Bristol City each week.
Red Duke
I have watched a fair amount of women's football and at all levels one of the weakest position is goalkeeping. They don't seem to have the same speed of reaction as you see in the men's game. They also have the disadvantage of height. Typically 5ft 6 in. The goals appear huge when a lass is in the nets.

The size of goals were designed about the average height of men. However, people in general are much taller Modern men goalies (are generally very tall (6ft 3 in +) and so the goals appear a lot smaller.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Red Duke wrote:I have watched a fair amount of women's football and at all levels one of the weakest position is goalkeeping. They don't seem to have the same speed of reaction as you see in the men's game. They also have the disadvantage of height. Typically 5ft 6 in. The goals appear huge when a lass is in the nets.

The size of goals were designed about the average height of men. However, people in general are much taller Modern men goalies (are generally very tall (6ft 3 in +) and so the goals appear a lot smaller.
True. The England keeper Bardsley is six foot I believe, but Hope Solo was only 5’ 8”.

It comes down to talent pool and grass roots essentially. Because girls football is still not widespread in all schools etc tall girls will end up playing netball, tennis, athletics, badminton or rowing etc. So there are just fewer tall women in the game to choose from.

On that point, I also think demographics are important. Proportionally women’s footballers in the UK come from pretty deprived areas (half the WSL seem to be from the roughest parts of Tyne & Wear, Teesside and Liverpool for example) where people are just shorter on average due to decades and decades of health inequality and food inequality. It’s not surprising that the tallest players in the WSL tend to be Dutch, Scandinavian or American, where girls and women’s football is demographically pigeon holed.

As the game grows and becomes more widespread I suspect the average goal keeper height will increase a few inches as more taller girls play and stick with football ahead of other sports - especially if the new TV deal sees wage increases trickle down the divisions.
plymrob
I'm saddened to read that girls football is still not widespread in all schools, but it's good to learn that tennis and, more importantly, rowing are now among the options...
asl
plymrob wrote:girls football
Are you deliberately trying to boil RCS's p1ss...?

;)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:
plymrob wrote:girls football
Are you deliberately trying to boil RCS's p1ss...?

;)
He is actually using my own words...talking about school and grass routes.
asl
Talking of the standard of women's football, watch the highlights of tonight's England v Canada friendly.

Oh.
My.
Goodness...
Red Duke
asl wrote:Talking of the standard of women's football, watch the highlights of tonight's England v Canada friendly.

Oh.
My.
Goodness...
Confirms what I said about women goalies. The standard is not good enough. The second goal, why would a goalie run backwards? I have never ever seen that before. In that situation, you reactly quickly and just boot it up the pitch!!
Shade
Perhaps a good jobs the Ladies put up a good show but lost - Gillingham lost 10-0 to Arsenal yesterday.