League One

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ben3’s post in JP’s Boyle speculation thread got me thinking.

Which of the current squad, excluding loans, would you expect to see doing well in League One and which are you less sure would make the step up?

Personally, I think all the squad are so well drilled by Duff that they could all feature and compete. When you have Pep praising May and others on how well they press, the speed of transition, etc then to me that shows they can do it at L1.

The challenge is being more clinical. If we were to go for a known goal scorer/finisher what are the chances of them also having the speed and fitness to also do the required running and pressing? Unlikely because then they wouldn’t be in L1.

If May and Lloyd can sharpen up their finishing then we are in Gillespie territory for sale value.
Hubert Parry
A few of our squad have played in League One with varying degrees of success. We have played League One opposition this season and been more than competitive.

I suspect the vast majority would be capable of the step up and this should be supplemented by a couple of high quality additions. We do not need to do what Northampton did and build an entirely new squad to compete.
Ben3
I would keep Flinders; Blair, Raglan, Long, Hussey; Thomas, Sercombe; May

I'd keep Tozer for the squad and freestone and Lloyd

I would be looking for two good centre backs; two good central midfielders; and two good strikers

Easy enough!!

I'm not being controversial for the sake of it, the feature of cotterells success was evolving the team and fan's favourites being replaced as went higher up the pyramid. No disrespect to anyone but if they look suspect in a very poor league two, they won't make it in league one
Red Duke
A good assessment would be look at the promoted teams last season. Crewe and Plymouth are in mid table and safe. Northampton and Swindon are in a relegation battle.

So if this season's team is better than last season (in my opinion it is) then we should achieve mid table.
Shade
We are a bit like Leeds in a way - not the way we play, but in that we are a team, side before self, and probably half of Leeds' squad would be at mid-table Championship clubs (i.e. Leeds if Bielsa never went there) if it weren't for the manager. I feel like that would be us in League 1, half our squad would be at mid-table League 2 clubs if they weren't a part of the unit.

OK, maybe it's a bit harsh on some of our players. As a unit I think our first choice defence is top 10 league 1 standard. Individually...they may get into bottom third League 1 teams. I actually rate Boyle as the weakest of our 3 first choice centre backs but there's not a huge amount in it. Raglan is the best. Sercombe is League 1 quality for sure. None of our attackers are currently playing as though they would do well in League 1 with a different club.

I think this current team would be comfortably mid-table in League 1, but we really need a player or two who can finish off more of the chances we create in attack and midfield.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:We are a bit like Leeds in a way - not the way we play, but in that we are a team, side before self, and probably half of Leeds' squad would be at mid-table Championship clubs (i.e. Leeds if Bielsa never went there) if it weren't for the manager. I feel like that would be us in League 1, half our squad would be at mid-table League 2 clubs if they weren't a part of the unit.

OK, maybe it's a bit harsh on some of our players. As a unit I think our first choice defence is top 10 league 1 standard. Individually...they may get into bottom third League 1 teams. I actually rate Boyle as the weakest of our 3 first choice centre backs but there's not a huge amount in it. Raglan is the best. Sercombe is League 1 quality for sure. None of our attackers are currently playing as though they would do well in League 1 with a different club.

I think this current team would be comfortably mid-table in League 1, but we really need a player or two who can finish off more of the chances we create in attack and midfield.
Good point about Bielsa. I think Duff is the same category. With Duff’s focus on shape and numbers, I don’t see why we would lose any more games in L1 than we would in L2. The challenge will be turning draws in to wins.
Uppy
I’m expecting a bit of disagreement on this but I don’t think Lloyd is going to ever be good enough. Great work rate and still only 21 but 4 league goals in 54 games (23 starts). Just don’t think that he’ll ever be more than a runner.
Shade
It's a bit of a strange one with Lloyd. I still think he will come good with his goalscoring, but maybe not for us... He has had chances to score, but missed them (like most of the other players in the squad...maybe we need a striking coach). However, when he was younger he was banging them in for fun and seemed to be a natural finisher.
Fuller
Shade wrote:It's a bit of a strange one with Lloyd. I still think he will come good with his goalscoring, but maybe not for us... He has had chances to score, but missed them (like most of the other players in the squad...maybe we need a striking coach). However, when he was younger he was banging them in for fun and seemed to be a natural finisher.
Good summary Shade, and just goes to show the big difference between youth and first team football.
I'd love to see one of our own become a prolific scorer at League 1 or 2 level for us, but do wonder if we will ever see it?
Robin
A little early to be thinking about this but the reality is the players under contract will still be here next season including Lloyd (who I doubt will be a starter but is fine from the bench).

For what it's worth though Tozer, Boyle, Hussey, Blair, Sercombe, Raglan, May I would say is a core of a solid league one team. I'd like to think others would step up too of course but for me we'd need to improve the front end of the team with some experience in the third tier and possibly a loan or two. Flinders I would think is really touch and go, at the moment I'd lean towards him not being here but it's certainly a decision I'm glad I do not have to make.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
You can say that again.
HamTown
I actually think league 1 will(?) suit us more than 2, we seem to play better against "footballing" sides

Earlier in the season I didn't think Thomas was more than a squad player but hes really grown on me and its noticeable what he adds to the team when hes not there.
everyman
Hubert Parry wrote:A few of our squad have played in League One with varying degrees of success. We have played League One opposition this season and been more than competitive.

I suspect the vast majority would be capable of the step up and this should be supplemented by a couple of high quality additions. We do not need to do what Northampton did and build an entirely new squad to compete.
We must remember the national league championship side struggled in the league above.
Robin
That's true but how many of them had genuine experience in this league prior to promotion? Also we lost several key players (Phillips/Dickie/Holman) through loans ending or injuries and of course GJ had health issues. Not suggesting the same cannot happen this summer especially with the financial hang over from COVID still haunting most football clubs.
Shade
HamTown wrote:I actually think league 1 will(?) suit us more than 2, we seem to play better against "footballing" sides

Earlier in the season I didn't think Thomas was more than a squad player but hes really grown on me and its noticeable what he adds to the team when hes not there.
Thomas' passing has improved a LOT this season, and he has made a lot fewer mistakes. Possibly better concentration. He gave the ball away in our own half way too much in previous seasons and looked like the week link but is currently a nailed on starter and key man.

I agree that we could possibly do better against better footballing sides in the league above. We have beaten a couple this season in the cups.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
We don’t know how players will adapt, but Duff will have a good idea I imagine.

This reminds me of an interview with Lundstram of Sheffield United last season when he was excelling so much.

He said that he didn’t really feature very much in the Championship so when they got promoted he thought he would be let go or loaned out. But, Chris Wilder told him the complete opposite. Due to Lundstram’s numbers (sprints, speed, distance, etc) Wilder had earmarked him as a key player for the Premier League. In the Championship, where those numbers are less important and games are more in your face and rough, Lundstram wasn’t suited, but his athleticism etc was Premier League standard.

Then you get the reverse type of player (Mitrovic, Knockaert) who can score goals, show some skill and get stuck in with the elbows and wrestling in the Championship but just don’t have the numbers to compete in the Premier League week in week out.

I am confident Duff will be ensuring we are analysing the data from League One this season and seeing which of our players hit the right levels, and where gaps are.
Hubert Parry
The sooner we clinch promotion, the sooner MD can start to think about this properly. It would now take a dip in form unlike any we have had this season to fail to go up but it is a game of fine mental margins. Hopefully the players need no motivation to get the job done.

Regardless of which league we are in next season, expect a lot of transfer rumours for our players at the end of the season...