Parklands

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Andy
For information for those that use Parklands to park at the footy.

Price this year is £6 per game - if using Parklands you will get a £1 off a drink with your car park ticket

No annual season ticket to park.

No reserve spots - first come first serve.

And by the sounds of it the dispute or whatever it is is still not resolved with the club so no gate open to get into Colin Farmer stand so it’s going to be a case of walk up to the corner entrance.

Anyone from the Trust or the Club care to officially comment please if they see this?
Leckyfan
Disappointing, if confirmed.

Can’t see logic in Parklands NOT offering season tickets for parking. I’ve not had one myself previously, but was hoping to get one this year. With some bigger clubs likely to bring lots of away fans, it would have been nice to have a guaranteed parking space (and not have to arrive ridiculously early).

I can see why many fans might not want to gamble on a season ticket for parking (if we get another lockdown, then money wasted). But given some of us would take that gamble, Parklands are throwing away the opportunity for some guaranteed income.

And if the gates from Parklands car park into the ground remain locked, that will make things more difficult for supporters with mobility impairments. Not good.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Leckyfan wrote:Disappointing, if confirmed.

Can’t see logic in Parklands NOT offering season tickets for parking. I’ve not had one myself previously, but was hoping to get one this year. With some bigger clubs likely to bring lots of away fans, it would have been nice to have a guaranteed parking space (and not have to arrive ridiculously early).

I can see why many fans might not want to gamble on a season ticket for parking (if we get another lockdown, then money wasted). But given some of us would take that gamble, Parklands are throwing away the opportunity for some guaranteed income.

And if the gates from Parklands car park into the ground remain locked, that will make things more difficult for supporters with mobility impairments. Not good.
Does not help Parklands’ relationship with the Club or Council.

But, you make the point about having to arrive earlier to get a space. Parklands will see that as an opportunity to sell drinks etc to people who have time to kill so I can see why they do it.
Andy
Leckyfan wrote:Disappointing, if confirmed.

This was from the horses mouth as I parked there Saturday and asked about it all and I posted what they told me - its the Parklands committee that have decided not to offer season tickets for the parking - the main reason for this apparently is the hassle of sorting out partial refunds / refunds afterwards should we go into lockdown again - personally I think if they offered it at the rate I got it before, I would be happy to take the risk and like my club season ticket would treat it as a donation to Parklands if I didnt park there due to lockdown, but never mind.

The main issue for me now is having to get there early to park as I wait for son to get to us before we then set off from Gloucester to get to game dropping off someone en-route as well - so we dont usually get there until gone 2.30/2.40pm every game. also the price of £6 a game now, we may have to consider getting dropped off rather than us parking nearby - especially if the gate isnt open as well.

Hopefully something will be sorted - when/if I get time later in week and get on my laptop, I will write to the club and ask about the gate to Colin Farmer stand / ask the FED of the Robins Trust.
everyman
If the council would do something about the waste land off Prestbury rd. we could use it until they decide !
longmover
Andy wrote:For information for those that use Parklands to park at the footy.

Price this year is £6 per game - if using Parklands you will get a £1 off a drink with your car park ticket

And by the sounds of it the dispute or whatever it is is still not resolved with the club so no gate open to get into Colin Farmer stand so it’s going to be a case of walk up to the corner entrance.

Anyone from the Trust or the Club care to officially comment please if they see this?
So away supporters can use this of they get a whiff of it then? That could be fun.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
As someone who walks to the ground, if we now enter the CF from the gates closer to Whaddon Road that is good and I am more likely to go to the bar/fan zone as the walk round is not as long.

Ideally both sets of turnstiles would be open.

Andy, when emailing the Club/ FED maybe ask if the Club/Trust would take the admin burden off Parklands? E.g. the Club/ Trust pay Parklands for, say, 20 spaces (I do not know capacity) at an agreed amount for the season. The Club/ Trust then sell passes to fans and if games are cancelled the refunds vs donations discussion is between Club/ Trust and fans and Parklands get to keep the money they were given up front so no risk or admin for them.
Andy
longmover wrote:
So away supporters can use this of they get a whiff of it then? That could be fun.
? - Away supporters do use it already.
Si Robin
I was wondering the same thing - as a Parklands user before games, I'd argue it's predominantly away fans that use the car park and bar in the first place.
longmover
is it advertised as open to all fans then? The reason I mentioned it was the removal of the ST format (to me) implies that it is predominantly home fans that use it (as behind the home seated area) so now open to all which could cause (hopefully not) an issue.
Si Robin
It's always been open to all.
longmover
Wasn't aware of that, thought is was disability away only, fair enough.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Yes always a good place to meet away fans and some really pack it out. And walking to/from the CF turnstiles one always passes fans walking from/to Parklands car park.
itsallbollox
As a disabled supporter the parklands parking and entry to the stadium is a must for me, walking is very difficult for me and being able to use the parking and entrance will impact on whether I ask for a refund on my season ticket before the season even starts. On Saturday I managed to get parked really close to the entrance but even then the walk all the way down to the other end of the stand was very uncomfortable. I'm very disappointed the club hasn't sorted these issues out yet. Or is it the disabled fans that use that entrance don't matter to the club.

I have been coming to Whaddon Road since the late sixties.
horlickfanclub
I agree with the above. This needs sorting A.S.A.P. I thought we had some commitment to accessibility.
Andy
Sorry all not had time to write and ask as been working all hours.
itsallbollox
It all boils down to the club don't give a s#!t,
No explanation from the club about these issues just proves it we don't mean nothing , other than donating our money when we couldn't watch any games last season and paying for our season tickets this season. Sorry it's just not good enough.
Si Robin
Other than moaning on here - has anyone actually approached the club (I note Andy was going to, but by his own admission has been too busy)?
ctfc-fan
itsallbollox wrote:It all boils down to the club don't give a s#!t,
No explanation from the club about these issues just proves it we don't mean nothing , other than donating our money when we couldn't watch any games last season and paying for our season tickets this season. Sorry it's just not good enough.
So we do mean something then!

What about throwing some anger at Parklands?
itsallbollox
Andy wrote:For information for those that use Parklands to park at the footy.

I tried to phone but got "there's no one available".
What I wrote was my opinion. I presume I'm allowed to have one.
Andy
itsallbollox wrote:
I tried to phone but got "there's no one available".
What I wrote was my opinion. I presume I'm allowed to have one.

I have today sent the following email to the club (via their info@ email address) and copied to the FED email address too as I know this will affect a few members:

"I attended the home pre-season friendlies and noted that the access to the Colin Farmer stand via the Parklands Community Centre car park was closed.

Please can you advise if this will be open for Saturdays first home league game of the season and if not, why not? It is going to be extremely inconvenient if the Colin Farmer stand is going to be limited to just the access via the two turnstiles on Wymans Road especially those that use the disabled parking within Parklands Community Centre car park for ease of access to their seats.

Many thanks,"

I will wait to see what the response is before querying any further.

i will let you all know what response, if any, I receive.

Cheers all.
Andy
I have received a reply from the club and permission to post a copy here:
Parklands Community Centre are currently refusing to agree access for our supporters across the land they lease from the Council and into the football ground. This means that we are unable to use the turnstiles in the ‘Parklands corner’ of the ground. We have commissioned a new turnstile to be constructed at the other end of the Colin Farmer Stand to improve access.

Unfortunately (and whilst still encouraging supporters to park in their car park and patronise their bar) Parklands are demanding unrealistically large sums of money from us to allow access for our supporters to the turnstiles and we will not be held to ransom. We are fully aware that this will inconvenience some of our supporters but, unfortunately, this issue is one that is now largely beyond our control. We have been trying for over two years to resolve the matter but Parklands seem to be labouring under the misconception that we owe them huge amounts of money and that we have large amounts of money we can pay them. Neither of those things are true. We have also made our feelings clear to the Council about what can, objectively, be regarded as the unreasonable behaviour of our neighbours and fellow Council tenants.
paperboy
This is an article from nearly two years ago.

One imagines that our new chairman,being a solicitor, is the man dealing with this. The two sides really need to sit down and reach a settlement.

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/n ... ns-3429021" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apologies if this suggestion has been discounted already, but is there a reason why CF stand ticket holders can't gain access via the PRE turnstiles and then have their tickets re-inspected by the steward at the single gate by the corner flag.
They could then use the club car park and also might encourage them to use the club facilities.

Btw it's all gone quiet regarding the Fan Zone unless I've missed things.
Hubert Parry
He's not a property litigator though... If I recall correctly, he was an employment lawyer when I dealt with him (extremely briefly).

Without knowing the detail, it does sound like an interesting case.
Shade
I'm sure he knows a property litigator or two that he can call upon of necessary...
Hubert Parry
I'm sure he does!
Andy
Well I know it won’t make any difference but Parklands will no longer be getting my car parking money until this is resolved.

I find it quite funny as well as Parklands have arranged for a hot dog / food van to be in their car park. I wonder if that van has had to pay them for the privilege and realises that he isn’t going to get half the footfall traffic he would get with these gates closed.
London Exile
Hopefully the situation can be resolved. If nothing else, the number of turnstiles lost at that end of the stand nearest parklands could cause some congestion at the opposite end when we get some of our larger home crowds and mean we can’t have any away fans in the CF either.
andgarod
are we CTFC supporters or parklands supporters

Boycott Parklands
A broken down car blocking their access would sure scupper things

Vote with your feet and your cars

COYR
Hubert Parry
paperboy wrote:This is an article from nearly two years ago.

One imagines that our new chairman,being a solicitor, is the man dealing with this. The two sides really need to sit down and reach a settlement.

https://www.gloucestershirelive.co.uk/n ... ns-3429021" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Apologies if this suggestion has been discounted already, but is there a reason why CF stand ticket holders can't gain access via the PRE turnstiles and then have their tickets re-inspected by the steward at the single gate by the corner flag.
They could then use the club car park and also might encourage them to use the club facilities.

Btw it's all gone quiet regarding the Fan Zone unless I've missed things.
First time I have read this article and there isn't much to go on so a lot is left to idle speculation, but a few immediate thoughts spring to mind:

- It would be interesting to know what property rights (e.g. a right of way), if any, the club has over Parklands' land.

- How was the £196,000 calculated when the original 'agreement' was apparently based on a percentage of CF Stand sales which Parklands say have not been quantified? It is odd that on the one hand Parklands claim this to be a 'conservative' estimate and then on the other, they apparently 'realise' that they might not get the full amount of what they are claiming.

- Why have Parklands allowed the 'arrears' to accrue for so long before taking any sort of action? It is concerning that as Parklands appears to be a charitable organisation, they did not take formal steps until recently, as they correctly note that they have duties as a charity to protect their assets.

- It is possible that an implied contract has been formed if the club made payments in return for a benefit over that length of time. Evidence would need to be adduced as to what that agreement initially was and why those payments suddenly stopped.

- It is not conducive to good negotiations to litigate via the press. It is perhaps not particularly helpful that the Club has openly admitted that it owes 'some money'.

This sounds like it would be best resolved via mediation, if that has not already been attempted. However, until such time as proceedings are commenced, and provided that the Club can cope without Parklands' assistance, there is not much pressure to settle this matter.
Andy
andgarod wrote:are we CTFC supporters or parklands supporters

Boycott Parklands
A broken down car blocking their access would sure scupper things

Vote with your feet and your cars

COYR
Agree - but sadly the parking space will then only be filled by someone else (away supporter probably).

Unfortunately, blocking the entrance will likely end up in the person getting fined / towed by Police and a cost occurring for that.
Si Robin
Hubert Parry wrote: - Why have Parklands allowed the 'arrears' to accrue for so long before taking any sort of action? It is concerning that as Parklands appears to be a charitable organisation, they did not take formal steps until recently, as they correctly note that they have duties as a charity to protect their assets.
My understanding, and I could have this wrong so don't take it as gospel, was that when Fred was in charge there he was happy with the footfall and parking on a Saturday so didn't chase the payments. When he retired a couple of years back, the chairman of the committee realised that payments hadn't been made and then went for the jugular.

For what it's worth, I'll continue drinking in Parklands before and after games. The Nest gets too busy and the prices are bloody extortionate for poor beer.
asl
I think I mentioned this when we were originally talking about it: the fact that the club has offered "a substantial amount" in settlement implies to me that a) CTFC really does owe Parklands a.large amount of money (although the amount is clearly in question) and b) they know full well that they do. Pains me to say it, but it sounds like CTFC are in the wrong, here.

I do agree with the question as to why the debt was allowed to accrue for so many years, though.
longmover
This needs to be nipped in the bud now, CTFC need to be doing all it can to ingratiate itself to the local community and you cant get anymore local than the first building situated next to your ground.

Obviously show some strength and don't get walked over but the club must be seen (publicly) to be doing all it can in this instance.
Dave Beesley
The Colin Farmer Stand will be fully open and accessible this weekend, after successful outcome to negotiations between both parties

https://www.ctfc.com/news/2021/august/n ... parklands/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;