third favourites

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
For relegation :oops: :oops:

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/en ... relegation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fleetwood and Plymouth the potential value in that market I would say.
Shade
That’s good then. Weren’t we favourites to go down the season before last?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
“They wrote us off, who give a f*ck, we’re Cheltenham Town and we’re staying up”.

These odds are based just on name and presumption, not the quality of the teams. Had Tranmere come up no doubt we would be second favourites, not third.
Robin
Shade wrote:That’s good then. Weren’t we favourites to go down the season before last?
Not that I recall, think we were mid-table bookie fodder the first season we made the play offs under Duff thanks largely to our good form in the second half of the prior season. I think we were amongst the relegation favourites though when Duff was appointed. Of course last year we were largely the favourites to win it out right.
Hubert Parry
I think third favourites sounds about right. There are a cluster of 8 or so teams who are the likely relegation candidates of which we are one. Hopefully our stability, excellent coaching and experience will be enough to keep us above the dotted line. When I think of teams who typically go down from League One, there is usually a great deal of turmoil involved - either on the field or off the field.
Shade
Personally, I think we will be safe by/in early April. The relegation places of this league has a nasty habit of quickly sneaking up on teams on a bad run though, but I think we have the grit and balls to avoid any 5+ game losing runs.
Robin
Hubert Parry wrote:I think third favourites sounds about right. There are a cluster of 8 or so teams who are the likely relegation candidates of which we are one. Hopefully our stability, excellent coaching and experience will be enough to keep us above the dotted line. When I think of teams who typically go down from League One, there is usually a great deal of turmoil involved - either on the field or off the field.
Good point Hubert however are there any teams this year who are in financial difficulty? No obvious Bolton/Southend/Swindon type side from what I can see. I see Shrewsbury are fifth favourites for the drop but I feel SC has recruited well and they will be safely in mid-table.
Robin
Hubert Parry wrote:I think third favourites sounds about right. There are a cluster of 8 or so teams who are the likely relegation candidates of which we are one. Hopefully our stability, excellent coaching and experience will be enough to keep us above the dotted line. When I think of teams who typically go down from League One, there is usually a great deal of turmoil involved - either on the field or off the field.
Good point Hubert however are there any teams this year who are in financial difficulty? No obvious Bolton/Southend/Swindon type side from what I can see. I see Shrewsbury are fifth favourites for the drop but I feel SC has recruited well and they will be safely in mid-table.
Benctfc
I would say that is fair. I think at the moment it is still hard to predict our chances as we are still at least 4 signings away from a full squad and these could be the difference in deciding our season. You would imagine a number 9 and attacking midfielder will be 2 of these and they would be expected to be first team quality and improve the first 11.
Nesty
Agree Ben - a lot will depend on what signings we make, now, and in January. As I said in another thread, we need 2 strikers BETTER than what we have, 2 midfielders at least as good as what we have/had. The defender is assumed to be cover for one of our top players.

If we get it right I could see us Mid table, If we need to change things in January I have confidence in MD to take appropriate action.

I also feel that matters off the field must be sorted out in a timely manner.
Horteng
Probably based on our transfer activity
HamTown
Robin wrote:Good point Hubert however are there any teams this year who are in financial difficulty? No obvious Bolton/Southend/Swindon type side from what I can see. I see Shrewsbury are fifth favourites for the drop but I feel SC has recruited well and they will be safely in mid-table.
Sheffield Wednesday although they've had their transfer embargo lifted seem to be in a right financial mess, possibly Fleetwood might unravel throughout the season?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
No doubt a few L1 sides will overspend before even recovering from the Covid-19 financial hit. Who knows who they may be.
andgarod
Nesty wrote:Agree Ben - a lot will depend on what signings we make, now, and in January. As I said in another thread, we need 2 strikers BETTER than what we have, 2 midfielders at least as good as what we have/had. The defender is assumed to be cover for one of our top players.

If we get it right I could see us Mid table, If we need to change things in January I have confidence in MD to take appropriate action.

I also feel that matters off the field must be sorted out in a timely manner.
I think your last point is important
If we are in the bottom 4 in January will Duff be able to bring in players to get us out
Will he jump ship
will the board back him with money and not just on paper
Robin
HamTown wrote:
Robin wrote:Good point Hubert however are there any teams this year who are in financial difficulty? No obvious Bolton/Southend/Swindon type side from what I can see. I see Shrewsbury are fifth favourites for the drop but I feel SC has recruited well and they will be safely in mid-table.
Sheffield Wednesday although they've had their transfer embargo lifted seem to be in a right financial mess, possibly Fleetwood might unravel throughout the season?
Very true, Sheff Wednesday are probably too big a club to go down again but I can see Fleetwood in the relegation dog fight and the bookies have them as one of the favourites for the drop too.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
The odds (I.e. general punters) do not take into account Duff.

Very few outside of the Club fully understand his tactical and physiological impact. I said it before and will again, I think Duff is worth 10-15 points more a season than an alternative manager at L1 and L2 level.

We will not go down with Duff, which is why I am looking forward to the season.
Malabus
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:The odds (I.e. general punters) do not take into account Duff.

Very few outside of the Club fully understand his tactical and physiological impact. I said it before and will again, I think Duff is worth 10-15 points more a season than an alternative manager at L1 and L2 level.

We will not go down with Duff, which is why I am looking forward to the season.
[FACE WITH TEARS OF JOY] Rose tinter comes to mind.
everyman
Robin wrote:For relegation :oops: :oops:

https://www.oddschecker.com/football/en ... relegation" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Fleetwood and Plymouth the potential value in that market I would say.
It`s just like reading the horoscope`s anyway complete nonsense !