The 92

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
With Preston coming up on Tuesday and Charlton recently ticked off, does anyone know the current number of grounds we've visited in the 92 right now?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Counting the current grounds one I am fairly sure we have NOT visited, in addition to Preston who you name:

Anfield
Etihad (City of Manchester)
Old Trafford
Stamford Bridge
Goodison Park
Tottenham Hostpsur Stadium
The London Stadium
The Brentford Community Stadium
Villa Park
The Emirates
Turf Moor

Craven Cottage
Cardiff City Stadium
St Andrews
Pride Park
Madejski Stadium
The Riverside Stadium
Hillsborough

Plough Lane (new)

So 19 there, plus Preston currently is 20. Ourselves is 21. So we have been to 71 of the current 92 grounds.

We have played away at seven teams who have changed stadium since we played them and who’s current stadium we have not visited, I think. The seven teams and where we have played them are:

Spurs (WHL)
West Ham (The Boleyn/ Upton Park)
Brentford (Griffin Park)
Fulham (Loftus Road)
Cardiff (Ninian Park)
Reading (Elm Park)
AFC Wimbledon (Kingsmeadow)

Happy for any people with proper stats to correct me if needed…I based this on just looking through the tables and my own memory/knowledge so might be games I am not aware of.
Si Robin
We played at St Andrews in the FA Cup in the late 80s.

We've never played at Ewood Park or Stoke's ground (Bet365 stadium?)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Si Robin wrote:We played at St Andrews in the FA Cup in the late 80s.

We've never played at Ewood Park or Stoke's ground (Bet365 stadium?)
Good spot. So that is 72 we have been to.
Robin
Thanks guys! I think there are six we've played at which I've not visited (Bolton, Harrogate, QPR, Southampton, Palace and Hull). Hopefully it doesn't take another twenty years to complete the final twenty grounds.
Robin
Also RCS I think you are missing Ipswich, unless we played them their in the non-league days?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Also RCS I think you are missing Ipswich, unless we played them there in the non-league days?
I am missing them. So back to 71!!
ctfc-fan
We played Fulham at Craven Cottage in the FA Cup in 2004.
asl
ctfc-fan wrote:We played Fulham at Craven Cottage in the FA Cup in 2004.

No we didn't... ;)
Robin
Also do we count Spurs or not? I mean is their situation any different to say Blackpool who have also completely rebuilt their stadium? I don't know the answer.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
asl wrote:
ctfc-fan wrote:We played Fulham at Craven Cottage in the FA Cup in 2004.

No we didn't... ;)
I even listed them in the list of teams we played at a ground which is not their current ground!

(Felt a little bit of sick in my mouth at the thought anyone could mistake or compare the dump Loftus Rd and Shepherds Bush with the Cottage and its environs).
Last edited by RegencyCheltenhamSpa on 19 Sep 2021, 15:10, edited 1 time in total.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:Also do we count Spurs or not? I mean is their situation any different to say Blackpool who have also completely rebuilt their stadium? I don't know the answer.
Blackpool’s is still called Bloomfield Road and on Wikipedia is described as being the home of Blackpool FC since 1901. It was then rebuilt stand by stand on the same site.

Spur’s is different in that it is a new stadium built next to White Hart Lane, rather than a redevelopment of the existing stands.
ctfc-fan
I’m confused now then, you saying we have or haven’t played at Craven Cottage??

Didn’t see a different list you mention.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:I’m confused now then, you saying we have or haven’t played at Craven Cottage??

Didn’t see a different list you mention.
We have not played at Craven Cottage. Fulham were having to play at Loftus Road at the time whilst the Hammersmith End terrace at CC was converted to seating.

At the end of my long post I wrote:

“We have played away at seven teams who have changed stadium since we played them and who’s current stadium we have not visited, I think. The seven teams and where we have played them are:

Spurs (WHL)
West Ham (The Boleyn/ Upton Park)
Brentford (Griffin Park)
Fulham (Loftus Road)
Cardiff (Ninian Park)
Reading (Elm Park)
AFC Wimbledon (Kingsmeadow)”
ctfc-fan
Sky confused the matter

https://www.skysports.com/football/fulh ... town/42925" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
ctfc-fan wrote:Sky confused the matter

https://www.skysports.com/football/fulh ... town/42925" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ha. Poor from Sky!
Si Robin
We would have played at Portman Road in the 37/38 season - the only time we've previously been in the same division as Ipswich

As confirmed by Nesty's site in the links above:

http://ctfcnesty.byethost24.com/s1937.htm?i=1

We played there on the 19th March 1938 and lost 3-1
Flux
Working on the assumption that Portman Road counts from when we played Ipswich in the 1930s then do you count a FA Cup 2nd replay (remember the days of more than one replay)

21st November 1949 Chetlenham Town Vs Hereford United FA Cup 4th Qualifying round 2nd replay took place at a neutral venue that neutral venue was Villa Park
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Flux wrote:Working on the assumption that Portman Road counts from when we played Ipswich in the 1930s then do you count a FA Cup 2nd replay (remember the days of more than one replay)

21st November 1949 Chetlenham Town Vs Hereford United FA Cup 4th Qualifying round 2nd replay took place at a neutral venue that neutral venue was Villa Park
Fantastic! I would count it.
Si Robin
It absolutely counts.
PaulGodfrey
We also played Aston Villa Reserves at Villa Park in the Worcestershire Senior Cup in the 1930s (yes, I know neither Cheltenham nor Aston is in Worcestershire :D ) and we played at Cardiff City Stadium in a pre-season friendly last year.
Si Robin
I think to count it has to be a competitive fixture
Fuller
Actually 17/11/1990. Good day out that was, even though we lost 0-1. Like our trip to Bloomfield Road in 2001 (another great day out,) half the ground was shut off if I recall, also like our trip to Wolves in the FA Cup in 1987, when we lost 1-5, but a brilliant opening goal from Brett Angel for us. Some old stadiums were in a right mess back then.

Also as an aside, I remember going to Kingsmeadow, where AFC Wimbledon played, when we played Kingstonian in the FA Trophy in 1990, when Andy Gray was playing for us, and we drew 3-3. We also played there a few other times too.

Also interesting is that the new Plough Lane ground is just 250 yards from the old Wimbledon FC ground, where we played in our original Southern League days. It's on the site of the old Greyhound Stadium.

What other grounds have we played away at, that groundshared with other sides, apart from Fulham?
Last edited by Fuller on 19 Sep 2021, 19:20, edited 2 times in total.
Jerry St Clair
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Robin wrote:Also do we count Spurs or not? I mean is their situation any different to say Blackpool who have also completely rebuilt their stadium? I don't know the answer.
Blackpool’s is still called Bloomfield Road and on Wikipedia is described as being the home of Blackpool FC since 1901. It was then rebuilt stand by stand on the same site.

Spur’s is different in that it is a new stadium built next to White Hart Lane, rather than a redevelopment of the existing stands.
Interesting and nuanced. The new stadium is built on the old White Hart Lane, but is so enormous it covers a vast additional area. Ay Cheltenham fan going to the new ground would find it in exactly the same area, would recognise all the surrounding streets, but would just find a different stadium in place of WHL - just like many other stadiums that have been rebuilt on the same site. I would count it, but appreciate that completely shatters the rules.
PaulGodfrey
Fuller wrote:
Actually 17/11/1990. Good day out that was, even though we lost 0-1. Like our trip to Bloomfield Road in 2001 (another great day out,) half the ground was shut off if I recall, also like our trip to Wolves in the FA Cup in 1987, when we lost 1-5, but a brilliant opening goal from Brett Angel for us. Some old stadiums were in a right mess back then.

Also as an aside, I remember going to Kingsmeadow, where AFC Wimbledon played, when we played Kingstonian in the FA Trophy in 1990, when Andy Gray was playing for us, and we drew 3-3. We also played there a few other times too.

Also interesting is that the new Plough Lane ground is just 250 yards from the old Wimbledon FC ground, where we played in our original Southern League days. It's on the site of the old Greyhound Stadium.

What other grounds have we played away at, that groundshared with other sides, apart from Fulham?
Since we've been in the League (from 1999) there haven't been any other groundshare visits but we've played a number of teams on more than one ground. We've played both Rotherham United and Brighton & Hove Albion on three different grounds (Millmoor, Don Valley Stadium, New York Stadium, Goldstone Ground [FA Cup 1970], Withdean Stadium and the Amex). We've played Barnet; Chesterfield; Colchester United; Darlington; Doncaster Rovers; Hull City; Morecambe; Shrewsbury Town and Swansea City on two different grounds. Others, such as Burton Albion and Yeovil Town, we visited on different grounds in the non-league days. From the 1960s onwards we've also played three different clubs at Broadhall Way - Stevenage Town, Stevenage Athletic and Stevenage (who were also formerly known as Stevenage Borough).
Fuller
Thanks Paul.
From the non-league days we played Gloucester City at three different grounds, Meadow Park, Horton Road and Longlevens. Also both Weymouth and Hednesford on two different grounds, must be a few others too that I can't recall off hand, but going off The 92 question now sorry.
Just hope we can visit at least a few of Anfield, Etihad, Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge, Emirates, Turf Moor, Goodison Park and Villa Park in my lifetime, but we will need some very favourable cup draws for that to happen.
Flux
Fuller wrote:Thanks Paul.
From the non-league days we played Gloucester City at three different grounds, Meadow Park, Horton Road and Longlevens. Also both Weymouth and Hednesford on two different grounds, must be a few others too that I can't recall off hand, but going off The 92 question now sorry.
Just hope we can visit at least a few of Anfield, Etihad, Old Trafford, Stamford Bridge, Emirates, Turf Moor, Goodison Park and Villa Park in my lifetime, but we will need some very favourable cup draws for that to happen.
Yeovil Town springs to mind (The Huish and Huish Park) and more recently Oxford City (Marsh Lane and the White House Ground)

Running out of time on Goodison Park so fingers crossed for this season
Robin
Of that list presumably either the Emirates or Old Trafford would make the club the most money however Villa would be huge due to the relative proximity and the fact there are lot of local Villa fans in these parts (although I suppose you could make that same argument for Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Utd but they are mostly armchair fans) .

Thinking longer term if we can establish ourselves at this level then the third round of the FA cup should become a fairly regular occurence for us and provide our best chance of visiting the biggest clubs.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Robin wrote:
Of that list presumably either the Emirates or Old Trafford would make the club the most money however Villa would be huge due to the relative proximity and the fact there are lot of local Villa fans in these parts (although I suppose you could make that same argument for Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool and Utd but they are mostly armchair fans) .

Thinking longer term if we can establish ourselves at this level then the third round of the FA cup should become a fairly regular occurence for us and provide our best chance of visiting the biggest clubs.
Old Trafford is the biggest money earner. They will sell out 75,000 or whatever it is for every game.