Preston North End v Cheltenham Town

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, updates and reaction all here this evening: https://bit.ly/PrestonNorthEnd" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Evans; Horton, Pollock, Freestone; Blair, Thomas, Barkers, Chapman; Perry; May, Williams (c)

Courtesy of JP on Twitter
HamTown
Interesting to see how the young CBs do and also Barkers debut

Presumably Chapman as LWB

Annoyingly no iFollow video and no audio (at least at the moment)
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
HamTown wrote:Interesting to see how the young CBs do and also Barkers debut

Presumably Chapman as LWB

Annoyingly no iFollow video and no audio (at least at the moment)
Will it be another Freestone cup success against higher league opponents?
robinsrule
Sadly not looking likely…. 2-0 down at HT.

Despite our league success we are one of those clubs who never get involved in shocks or cup thrillers against higher league teams. In fact, as I have mentioned before, we almost never score away at big teams.
Hubert Parry
Barring an unlikely turnaround, this has been a complete waste of time.

Lost a day (and possibly more) on the training pitch, a huge amount of travelling and risking further injuries to our already depleted squad.

The main positive will be giving minutes to our younger players who will learn some of the tougher lessons tonight.
ctfc-fan
robinsrule wrote:Sadly not looking likely…. 2-0 down at HT.

Despite our league success we are one of those clubs who never get involved in shocks or cup thrillers against higher league teams. In fact, as I have mentioned before, we almost never score away at big teams.
Apart from leading Man City last year….
robinsrule
Ha ha, apart from that one! I meant away games. Anyway, maybe we’ll turn this one round and prove me wrong :-)
Artemis
Well, that's a start!
duckers
Hubert Parry wrote:Barring an unlikely turnaround, this has been a complete waste of time.

Lost a day (and possibly more) on the training pitch, a huge amount of travelling and risking further injuries to our already depleted squad.

The main positive will be giving minutes to our younger players who will learn some of the tougher lessons tonight.
It sounds a lot better than when we were not in the competition in 15/16. Well, second half so far anyway.

It's a good opportunity to test ourselves against a side a league above. In this case, the Championship.
Hubert Parry
I'm a curmudgeon when it comes to cup competitions. The FA Cup aside, I'd rather do without them. I'm not even sure they are that good for the finances either.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Got a goal at least.

A historic night whatever the result. Our first ever third round tie. Certainly not a waste of time for the players I am sure.
HamTown
Sure it was far from an ideal draw but who doesn't like to see Cheltenham test themselves against bigger teams?

Felt there was a number of positives to take from the game as well tonight
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
What a game for Barkers to make his debut in.
Benctfc
Having watched back the goals it was a great finish from Vassell one of a player who looked in form so nice to see him back up his good cameo against Oxford.

Not sure what is going on with Evans he seems to have lost all confidence. Should have claimed the cross on the second goal and I would expect the keeper to save the 3rd goal and probably the 4th. Not exactly pressuring Flinder for the GK spot.
Nesty
Benctfc wrote:Having watched back the goals it was a great finish from Vassell one of a player who looked in form so nice to see him back up his good cameo against Oxford.

Not sure what is going on with Evans he seems to have lost all confidence. Should have claimed the cross on the second goal and I would expect the keeper to save the 3rd goal and probably the 4th. Not exactly pressuring Flinder for the GK spot.
not up to it at the moment. Needs to go out on loan in January
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Nesty wrote:
Benctfc wrote:Having watched back the goals it was a great finish from Vassell one of a player who looked in form so nice to see him back up his good cameo against Oxford.

not up to it at the moment. Needs to go out on loan in January
And then our number two keeper is?
horlickfanclub
Should have come for the first goal. Only six yards out and he was frozen on the line. Come out and punch the ball .