Cheltenham Town v Morecambe

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Jon Palmer
Team news, live updates and reaction all here this evening: https://bit.ly/MorecambeFC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
HamTown
Chapman in for Boyle?

Is that Hussey as a CB? If so disappointed Horton hasn't got the nod
HamTown
4 4 2 diamond obviously
CTFCfan99
Fuming at Flinders. Absolutely controlled the half and then he does that.
Nesty
pathetic
CTFCfan99
Games against Morecambe never end well.
Alf
I think that has to be one of the dumbest goals I have ever seen at a professional level.
Flinders had the opportunity to boot it to one of three defenders and even if he had been allowed to keep the ball in his hands he would no doubt have thrown it to one of those defenders anyway. Unbelievable and pointless.
Ben version 4:0
One of the dumbest goals to concede for sure. But we've been treated to another sublimely dumb piece of play with Blair's handball...Blair is having a stinker (which is unusual to be fair)
HamTown
Kyle Joseph take a bow son
Alf
HamTown wrote:Kyle Joseph take a bow son
Two great finishes. That’s cheered me up! :lol:
CTFCfan99
Much better! We've absolutely battered them most of the game and more than deserve the 2 goal lead. Crowley superb again.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa

Poor.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Joseph proving why he is so highly rated.
CTFCfan99
Ref's had a decent game, been quite a few little niggly challenges that some refs might have given fouls for but he's let them go, don't remember hearing the whistle too often.
triggo
Result never in doubt ( OK hindsight wonderful thing)...
..but... even after the rush of blood from Flinders , Morecombe never looked remotely in the game.
Loads of positives for all to see.
Onwards and upwards . :D

Incidentally Im sure the Flinders incident was initiated by an injury to Long in the opposition Penalty area,
He was asking originally should he put the ball out , then confusion as to if play was being stopped.
Nesty
fantastic !!! - up to 12th
Crowley is a class act , Joseph - two fine finishes. Dreadful conditions, fair play to those who went to the game.

It always creases me to see opposition players pinch 20 yards at nearly every throw in yet the ref starts whistling and pointing to the exact blade of grass he wants us to throw from.
Nesty
triggo wrote:Result never in doubt ( OK hindsight wonderful thing)...
..but... even after the rush of blood from Flinders , Morecombe never looked remotely in the game.
Loads of positives for all to see.
Onwards and upwards . :D

Incidentally Im sure the Flinders incident was initiated by an injury to Long in the opposition Penalty area,
He was asking originally should he put the ball out , then confusion as to if play was being stopped.
agree
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Sounds like Crowley was class again?
HamTown
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Sounds like Crowley was class again?
Top of the class
robinsrule
Big win, great result! Worrying attendance though - how many would come to this fixture on a cold night in January?! But I guess tonight will also be the lowest away attendance of the season at Whaddon Rd.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
robinsrule wrote:Big win, great result! Worrying attendance though - how many would come to this fixture on a cold night in January?! But I guess tonight will also be the lowest away attendance of the season at Whaddon Rd.
People saving the pennies for the next home game? Surely pushing 5,000 for Sheffield Wednesday. Fifth ‘biggest’ team to come to WR for a competitive fixture?
That's the easiest win I can remember in many a year. Morecambe were appallingly bad

League one and we've won a game EASILY. Who'd have ever thought we'd be saying that
paperboy
CTFCfan99 wrote:Ref's had a decent game, been quite a few little niggly challenges that some refs might have given fouls for but he's let them go, don't remember hearing the whistle too often.
Agree.
Noticeable this season that refs are letting matches flow which makes for better entertainment.

MD says that Flinders had a "brain fart".
robinsrule
I remember Morecambe smash and grabbing their way to three points on the opening day last season. They looked like the worst team in the league and I was astonished that they were promoted.

Do we give away teams 1400 tickets like we gave Oxford? If so it will be our standard big game attendance of 5000 I reckon.
HamTown
Perhaps it was just poorer opposition but Hussey got down the flank more than I've seen him for a long time despite playing at LB rather than LWB

Food for thought for Duff regarding formations and starting lineups
Anteros
Second half was the first time all season I could relax as a fan! What a finish for Joseph's second!!
Robin
Probably our most comfortable win this season other than Charlton away (where we absolutely battered them). Morecambe I think came to play football but didn't really have a sniff other than the Flinders error, odd to see their mgr bring on two attackers once they went 3-1 down too as it was like we were playing ten men at that point we had so much time on the ball as neither of them tracked back.

As for Sheff Wednesday surely it's our biggest crowd of the season so far. I think we had 5200 versus Oxford this one will be 5500+ I would think, they are a big name so 4000 home fans has to be realistic and only 500 or so more than we had for Accrington.
Hubert Parry
It took me until the third goal to get over the equaliser. Incensed. The most half-witted thing I think I've ever seen on a football field. Flinders made up for it though.

The annoying thing about it was that we were so dominant and we just gifted them the goal.

We can forgive that because the players put that behind them at half time (which came at a good time) and were streets ahead again in the second half. After we scored the third, the result was never in doubt.

Crowley was alright.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
HamTown wrote:Perhaps it was just poorer opposition but Hussey got down the flank more than I've seen him for a long time despite playing at LB rather than LWB

Food for thought for Duff regarding formations and starting lineups
Maybe Morecambe are slower than top half L1 sides. Hussey bossed L2 last season and Morecambe were L2 last season, after all.

Interesting that last season Morecambe were one of the sides who exploited our back three and the gaps between CB and WB. Going four at the back stopped them doing that.
Shade
Firstly, as absolutely stupid as Flinders error was, I'm going to be very generous to him and say maybe he he had the rain in his eyes and didn't see who got the last touch back to him........let's not forget how many points he has saved us, and if there was a night to switch off for a minute, this was it.

Secondly, we were playing some dumb football at times all evening until the 2nd and 3rd goals. I don't know how close it was but the Morecambe goal that was ruled out must have been marginal, being a corner that was flicked on at the near post. At 3-1 everyone could enjoy it and, whereas we were controlling the game until Flinders' error, I think calling it "easy" is a bit much.

Crowley I assume is signed until January. Obviously he didn't want to commit longer so that a bigger club can snap him up without being put off by having to pay a fee then. Keeps that up then he will be gone, but he needs to find a final ball more often. For all he did, I think he had one good cross to Vassell and a short lay off to Thomas to set up the 2nd. Everything else ended with a pass to a player in not a very good position who lost it, or with him being tackled himself, but having a player like him that can get the ball facing our own goal and 5 seconds later be on the edge of their box is invaluable to us right now.

Three very, very nice finishes, with Joseph's second being the pick.
art vandalay
Good to see us pick up the tempo after a disjointed first half and poor goal conceded. And fair play to Flinders for coming out and claiming a couple of difficult crosses near the end.

Another enjoyable couple of hours down Whaddon Road.
Shade wrote:Crowley I assume is signed until January. Obviously he didn't want to commit longer so that a bigger club can snap him up without being put off by having to pay a fee then. Keeps that up then he will be gone, but he needs to find a final ball more often. For all he did, I think he had one good cross to Vassell and a short lay off to Thomas to set up the 2nd. Everything else ended with a pass to a player in not a very good position who lost it, or with him being tackled himself, but having a player like him that can get the ball facing our own goal and 5 seconds later be on the edge of their box is invaluable to us right now
I think it's clear you're not a fan of Crowley's, Shade, but overlooking the three slide rule passes he put through (two for Vassell, one for Joseph) that created one on ones with the goalkeeper is quite an oversight. Unfortunately our finishing wasn't great (and to be fair to Vassell he doesn't have the pace to make the most of this opportunities) - it was an easy victory that 5-0 would have been a much fairer reflection of (possibly 5-1 as I agree the 'offside' goal they scored looked very friendly to us).
HamTown
They also hit the post from a header which would have put us 2 - 1 down
longmover
Shade wrote:Firstly, as absolutely stupid as Flinders error was, I'm going to be very generous to him and say maybe he he had the rain in his eyes and didn't see who got the last touch back to him........let's not forget how many points he has saved us, and if there was a night to switch off for a minute, this was it.

Secondly, we were playing some dumb football at times all evening until the 2nd and 3rd goals. I don't know how close it was but the Morecambe goal that was ruled out must have been marginal, being a corner that was flicked on at the near post. At 3-1 everyone could enjoy it and, whereas we were controlling the game until Flinders' error, I think calling it "easy" is a bit much.

Crowley I assume is signed until January. Obviously he didn't want to commit longer so that a bigger club can snap him up without being put off by having to pay a fee then. Keeps that up then he will be gone, but he needs to find a final ball more often. For all he did, I think he had one good cross to Vassell and a short lay off to Thomas to set up the 2nd. Everything else ended with a pass to a player in not a very good position who lost it, or with him being tackled himself, but having a player like him that can get the ball facing our own goal and 5 seconds later be on the edge of their box is invaluable to us right now.

Three very, very nice finishes, with Joseph's second being the pick.
You've sat and typed that out :lol:
Hubert Parry
I had to rewatch the game this morning because in live time, I recall saying that I don't think I've ever known a Cheltenham player to be able to pick out a pass as brilliantly as Crowley did yesterday.

The cost comes in respect of positioning and work rate off the call. I should imagine that Thomas, Chapman and Sercombe covered more yards than they are used to.