Cheltenham Town v Morecambe

Talk about anything to do with Cheltenham Town, CTFC 500 Club, League 1, ex players & Managers

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

horlickfanclub
I think that is a balanced midfield. Crowley can hang on to the ball and bring in others.Something we could not do before he signed. He is a great talent and well worth paying to see. Sideways and backwards players are plentiful ,Crowley is different. I will enjoy his talent while he is here.
Shade
Ben version 4:0 wrote:
Shade wrote:Crowley I assume is signed until January. Obviously he didn't want to commit longer so that a bigger club can snap him up without being put off by having to pay a fee then. Keeps that up then he will be gone, but he needs to find a final ball more often. For all he did, I think he had one good cross to Vassell and a short lay off to Thomas to set up the 2nd. Everything else ended with a pass to a player in not a very good position who lost it, or with him being tackled himself, but having a player like him that can get the ball facing our own goal and 5 seconds later be on the edge of their box is invaluable to us right now
I think it's clear you're not a fan of Crowley's, Shade, but overlooking the three slide rule passes he put through (two for Vassell, one for Joseph) that created one on ones with the goalkeeper is quite an oversight. Unfortunately our finishing wasn't great (and to be fair to Vassell he doesn't have the pace to make the most of this opportunities) - it was an easy victory that 5-0 would have been a much fairer reflection of (possibly 5-1 as I agree the 'offside' goal they scored looked very friendly to us).
Read what you want into it but calling him invaluable would hardly suggest I'm not a fan. I did forget about his slide rule passes but he still didn't get an assist for any of the four goals we have scored in the last two games, although unlikely the second would have happened as it did if Morecambe weren't worried enough about him to give Thomas the space on the right.
Hubert Parry
I dare say his xA is quite high. I'll see if I can find that out.
longmover
horlickfanclub wrote:I think that is a balanced midfield. Crowley can hang on to the ball and bring in others.Something we could not do before he signed. He is a great talent and well worth paying to see. Sideways and backwards players are plentiful ,Crowley is different. I will enjoy his talent while he is here.
From having a closer watch of him yesterday I noticed he looks up then just taps the ball forward with his right foot before starting his runs with the ball, you think with that tap forward he's going to give the ball away but he's so quick he just drags it back and off he goes. At one stage he was surrounded by four Morecambe players with his back to their goal but in three touches was past them all and charging into the box. Insane, I honestly cant see him being here past January.
Alf
Shade wrote:Crowley I assume is signed until January. Obviously he didn't want to commit longer so that a bigger club can snap him up without being put off by having to pay a fee then. Keeps that up then he will be gone, but he needs to find a final ball more often. For all he did, I think he had one good cross to Vassell and a short lay off to Thomas to set up the 2nd. Everything else ended with a pass to a player in not a very good position who lost it, or with him being tackled himself, but having a player like him that can get the ball facing our own goal and 5 seconds later be on the edge of their box is invaluable to us right now
I think it's clear you're not a fan of Crowley's, Shade, but overlooking the three slide rule passes he put through (two for Vassell, one for Joseph) that created one on ones with the goalkeeper is quite an oversight. Unfortunately our finishing wasn't great (and to be fair to Vassell he doesn't have the pace to make the most of this opportunities) - it was an easy victory that 5-0 would have been a much fairer reflection of (possibly 5-1 as I agree the 'offside' goal they scored looked very friendly to us).
Crowley’s style of play also draws in opposition players creating space for his own team mates. He is a real asset to the team.
Artemis
Alf wrote:
Crowley’s style of play also draws in opposition players creating space for his own team mates. He is a real asset to the team.
He is. Some of his play is just outrageous.
Duff should encourage him to run with the ball into the box more often and our season's penalty count will surely get off the mark.
Nesty
Crowley is a class act at this level. end of. he has played just TWO games for us and looks head and shoulders above anybody else we have (apart from CW?). As he gets more and more integrated into the team his contribution will increase accordingly. The fact that he has not directly contributed by actually making that final pass may be true but also is the theory that he makes space for others because he needs to be closely marked.

I just hope that we would be able to keep him for the rest of the season.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
If Crowley was to leave in January then we will get at least 13 more games from him. If we could get to 40 points before he goes then we should have enough to see us through.
everyman
Hubert Parry wrote:I had to rewatch the game this morning because in live time, I recall saying that I don't think I've ever known a Cheltenham player to be able to pick out a pass as brilliantly as Crowley did yesterday.

The cost comes in respect of positioning and work rate off the call. I should imagine that Thomas, Chapman and Sercombe covered more yards than they are used to.
He does like to carry the ball a lot but was always looking for someone making a run which didn`t happen enough.If they did he would deliver it takes time on the training pitch to work which we haven`t had much time on recently.
Robin
HamTown wrote:They also hit the post from a header which would have put us 2 - 1 down
The outside of the post it was not even close to going in.
Robin
HamTown wrote:They also hit the post from a header which would have put us 2 - 1 down
HamTown
Robin wrote:
I think our definitions of close are pretty different
horlickfanclub
For those who say Dan has not yet delivered the killer pass. He has and we have missed. As per match report-
"A clever through ball by Dan Crowley sent Joseph one on one with Shrimps keeper Andrésson, but the keeper makes a smart diving save to keep the Robins at bay."
everyman
horlickfanclub wrote:For those who say Dan has not yet delivered the killer pass. He has and we have missed. As per match report-
"A clever through ball by Dan Crowley sent Joseph one on one with Shrimps keeper Andrésson, but the keeper makes a smart diving save to keep the Robins at bay."
According to Wyscout, Crowley made 8 out of 9 successful forward passes with 3 out of his 4 passess successful into the final third. This from the Accrington game.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
His cross for Vassell’s header was better than anything anyone else on the pitch could do and was on a par with that through ball in the first half to KJ. As well as his two through balls, even the way he stepped clear and teed up Thomas to cross for the first goal was something no one else but Wright ever does.
Ben version 4:0
As someone said on another thread, every player will attract the odd 'boo boy' who criticises for the sake of it. Anyone who didn't see him oozing class in the last two games simply did not want to see it. The idea he didn't produce a final ball is just bonkers - but if people are determined to boo then they will :roll:
Robin
I can sort of see both sides, there must be a reason why struggling Birmingham let him go, why Hull chose not to sign him despite playing the second half of last season at this level, why he ended up on trial at unfashionable clubs like ourselves, Donny and Gills. Technically his ball control is amongst the best you will see at this level that is beyond dispute but something must be missing for him to have been so overlooked.
Shade
I can't believe this is still running. It seems I'm living rent free in a few people's heads due to one comment, even though I later said I'd forgotten about his three passes through which weren't capitalised on by others and that I thought he is invaluable to the team :lol:. As far as I'm aware, nobody is criticising Crowley for the sake of it and the facts are that if he wants his move to a bigger club then he will need to get his assists and possibly goals numbers up and running. This place is turning into a version of the national press again, where every comment can be taken out of context and jumped on.
Alf
It’s not beyond the realms of possibility that he has an attitude problem off the pitch rather than on it which some managers may feel they don’t need. Hopefully Michael doesn’t fall into that caregory. I don’t think he will.
I have no evidence of this it is purely an uneducated comment.
horlickfanclub
Speculation on attitude problems maked me think about Managers.Sometimes their ego leads them to have to prove a point. Maybe that is why so many are sacked for being clueless. Thankfully we have better.
Alf
horlickfanclub wrote:Speculation on attitude problems maked me think about Managers.Sometimes their ego leads them to have to prove a point. Maybe that is why so many are sacked for being clueless. Thankfully we have better.
Yes, we definitely have.
stan
He was discarded by Karanka at Birmingham because of his defensive shortcomings. He can look a bit lost when the opposition have possession and unsure about his positioning/duties. On top of this, he also probably needs to step up his appetite and enthusiasm for this part of the game.
He also had a tendency to occasionally hang on to the ball too long, looking for the incisive pass when just quickly releasing the ball to a team-mate was the better option.
Both weaknesses could be worked on. It would be a shame if he didn't fulfill his potential for the lack of making these achievable improvements imo.
Hubert Parry
We broadly know what Crowley's strengths and weaknesses are. What will trouble some managers is that a system will need quite a bit of tweaking to give Crowley the freedom to do what he does best. It puts a lot of pressure on the rest of the team. The flip side of the coin is obvious. His numbers from his first two matches are outstanding (look at Dave Cohen on Twitter who has mapped this).

I can imagine, however, that if we go on a run of form with a few losses, some might get frustrated with Crowley.

An interesting hypothetical question is would we rather have DC for the rest of the season or Callum Wright?
everyman
Hubert Parry wrote:We broadly know what Crowley's strengths and weaknesses are. What will trouble some managers is that a system will need quite a bit of tweaking to give Crowley the freedom to do what he does best. It puts a lot of pressure on the rest of the team. The flip side of the coin is obvious. His numbers from his first two matches are outstanding (look at Dave Cohen on Twitter who has mapped this).

I can imagine, however, that if we go on a run of form with a few losses, some might get frustrated with Crowley.

An interesting hypothetical question is would we rather have DC for the rest of the season or Callum Wright?
"The gaffer always says to me I am one of the rulebreakers in the team so I can carry the ball forward and aim to unlock teams.".This quote was not from Crowley but could be ?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hubert Parry wrote:We broadly know what Crowley's strengths and weaknesses are. What will trouble some managers is that a system will need quite a bit of tweaking to give Crowley the freedom to do what he does best. It puts a lot of pressure on the rest of the team. The flip side of the coin is obvious. His numbers from his first two matches are outstanding (look at Dave Cohen on Twitter who has mapped this).

If I had to choose, it would have to be be the GOAT; The Boy Callum Wright.
HamTown

Largely agree with this. Crowley feels like a player you need to pretty much build a midfield around to accommodate his weaknesses which would partly explain no one picking him up 20% of the way through the season

Interesting stats as Hubert points out https://mobile.twitter.com/DaveCohen_/s ... 9815674883" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also as much as much as I like Wright, Crowley would be my preferred choice without a second thought (budget taken out of the equation)