Register    Login    Search    FAQ



CTFC.com Official Site Cheltenham Town FC 500 Club

Other Useful Links:     Leo's Blog    Robins Trust    CTFC Chatter    Football Ground Guide    This is Gloucestershire    News Now    CTFC History Site

Board index » THE NEST » OTHER FOOTY




 Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 



Author Message
 Post subject: National League North and South Suspended
 Post Posted: 22 Jan 2021, 13:18 
Online
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 03:27
Posts: 23362
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Two week suspension whilst they try and work out how to make an unviable situation viable:

https://www.gateshead-fc.com/news/natio ... 96088.html


Top  Share on FacebookShare on Twitter
 Post subject: Re: National League North and South Suspended
 Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021, 10:52 
Online
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 03:27
Posts: 23362
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Gloucester now campaigning for a breakaway mini-league. Whilst most teams in the NLN and NLS cannot afford to continue, the bankrolled teams like Gloucester want to carry on, and Petheram is calling for those teams from both divisions to form a new mini-league.

Pretty unsavoury really, saying they don’t care about the rest of the league and are happy to throw the smaller teams under the bus.

As Shandy likes to remind us, Gloucester should remember where they came from. Just a few years ago before AP’s chequebook arrived Gloucester were struggling at the wrong end of the table, in the exact same position as the teams they now want to screw over and bully.

The attitude Gloucester, and specifically AP, are showing currently will earn them no favours and they won’t get any sympathy from the football community if/when they fall on hard times again.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: National League North and South Suspended
 Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021, 13:34 
Offline

Joined: 05 Jul 2011, 22:56
Posts: 1740
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 1 time
I don't think that will happen as the NL clubs would be loath to allow promotion/ relegation anyway.

In fairness though like him or loath him, AP is doing the same as any club- owner-wanting to do what is best for them.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: National League North and South Suspended
 Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021, 13:58 
Offline

Joined: 23 Dec 2009, 01:56
Posts: 4566
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 3 times
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Gloucester now campaigning for a breakaway mini-league. Whilst most teams in the NLN and NLS cannot afford to continue, the bankrolled teams like Gloucester want to carry on, and Petheram is calling for those teams from both divisions to form a new mini-league.

Pretty unsavoury really, saying they don’t care about the rest of the league and are happy to throw the smaller teams under the bus.

As Shandy likes to remind us, Gloucester should remember where they came from. Just a few years ago before AP’s chequebook arrived Gloucester were struggling at the wrong end of the table, in the exact same position as the teams they now want to screw over and bully.

The attitude Gloucester, and specifically AP, are showing currently will earn them no favours and they won’t get any sympathy from the football community if/when they fall on hard times again.


6pts clear at the top mid Feb - and you wouldn't want CTFC to do that?


Top 
 Post subject: Re: National League North and South Suspended
 Post Posted: 07 Feb 2021, 14:04 
Online
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 03:27
Posts: 23362
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Ralph wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Gloucester now campaigning for a breakaway mini-league. Whilst most teams in the NLN and NLS cannot afford to continue, the bankrolled teams like Gloucester want to carry on, and Petheram is calling for those teams from both divisions to form a new mini-league.

Pretty unsavoury really, saying they don’t care about the rest of the league and are happy to throw the smaller teams under the bus.

As Shandy likes to remind us, Gloucester should remember where they came from. Just a few years ago before AP’s chequebook arrived Gloucester were struggling at the wrong end of the table, in the exact same position as the teams they now want to screw over and bully.

The attitude Gloucester, and specifically AP, are showing currently will earn them no favours and they won’t get any sympathy from the football community if/when they fall on hard times again.


6pts clear at the top mid Feb - and you wouldn't want CTFC to do that?


Would I want CTFC to screw other a majority of other clubs in unsavoury fashion? No.

Promotion can wait until next season....the financial survival of other clubs and the integrity of the league can not.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: National League North and South Suspended
 Post Posted: 10 Feb 2021, 22:42 
Online
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 03:27
Posts: 23362
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Petheram and his cretinous acolytes are getting excited by this idea of a mini league of rich clubs based on financial backing rather than merit.

Chester in second place are one of the teams who cannot continue even though they want to. I guess Gloucester see a league with teams like Chester excluded as less competition for promotion.

It really is unsavoury and I would welcome Shandy to share his thoughts.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: National League North and South Suspended
 Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021, 07:33 
Offline

Joined: 12 Aug 2012, 16:13
Posts: 492
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
My thoughts are that I really don't know enough about what is going on to make an informed judgment, so I haven't. There is a lot more to this than what you or others profess to know.

I'm just like the majority of football fans who want to see my team play football, and can't be doing with any of the politics.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: National League North and South Suspended
 Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021, 10:05 
Offline

Joined: 06 Jan 2010, 12:00
Posts: 1078
Has thanked: 3 times
Been thanked: 0 time
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Petheram and his cretinous acolytes are getting excited by this idea of a mini league of rich clubs based on financial backing rather than merit.

Chester in second place are one of the teams who cannot continue even though they want to. I guess Gloucester see a league with teams like Chester excluded as less competition for promotion.

It really is unsavoury and I would welcome Shandy to share his thoughts.
You like to have a go at Mal about things and then you call people cretinous on a public forum with nothing to back it up.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: National League North and South Suspended
 Post Posted: 11 Feb 2021, 12:06 
Online
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 03:27
Posts: 23362
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
ctfc-fan wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:
Petheram and his cretinous acolytes are getting excited by this idea of a mini league of rich clubs based on financial backing rather than merit.

Chester in second place are one of the teams who cannot continue even though they want to. I guess Gloucester see a league with teams like Chester excluded as less competition for promotion.

It really is unsavoury and I would welcome Shandy to share his thoughts.
You like to have a go at Mal about things and then you call people cretinous on a public forum with nothing to back it up.


To clarify. In my opinion, having read their replies and comments on Twitter threads, is that they are cretinous. No idea who they are as they all have anonymous Twitter handles or nicknames etc, but their general vibe is that because Gloucester have money for the first time for ages and signed a load of big names they should be allowed to ride roughshod over the league and form a breakaway.

They all keep saying that teams who “want to stop playing should be allowed to” but they cannot get in to their skulls that no club WANTS to stop playing.

The idea that because of a global crisis well managed clubs have to close for financial reasons until fans are allowed but ones with rich backers can decide to carry on in a new league is unpalatable and unsporting. It is the fact Petheram and some City fans claim it is the best interests of the game is why I call them cretinous.

And, not sure why me saying I think a few people on Twitter are cretinous is comparable to illegal hate speech and anti-vax propaganda from Malabus!


Top 
 Post subject: Re: National League North and South Suspended
 Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021, 21:53 
Offline

Joined: 20 Nov 2009, 09:37
Posts: 5176
Has thanked: 4 times
Been thanked: 2 times
Unlucky, Gloucester...

https://www.thenationalleague.org.uk/na ... esol-65151


Top 
 Post subject: Re: National League North and South Suspended
 Post Posted: 18 Feb 2021, 22:11 
Online
User avatar

Joined: 21 Nov 2009, 03:27
Posts: 23362
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 2 times
Desperately unlucky and a real shame given the league positions. Whilst those of us who support all sport in the County and hoped City would go up will be disappointed, we are also football fans at the end of the day so appreciate that the decision to null and void is best for the division as a whole and the future of all clubs in the NLN/S.

Assuming the next season starts with fans back in the new stadium, there is no reason Gloucester should not be stronger next season. After all this time in the wilderness, and with the future of so many clubs at stake, an extra year before securing promotion is not a big deal in the grand scheme.


Top 
 Post subject: Re: National League North and South Suspended
 Post Posted: 19 Feb 2021, 12:54 
Offline

Joined: 27 Jun 2012, 09:23
Posts: 1263
Has thanked: 0 time
Been thanked: 0 time
Yes got to feel for Gloucester City. 13 years with no home, then no fans present when they do return, followed by this season now being abandoned when top of the table.

Also not sure where all our young lads are out on loan now, but sure Chamberlain was at Bath City, so suppose he'll just see out the season with us?


Top 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
 Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 




Board index » THE NEST » OTHER FOOTY


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: