Confed Cup

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Why is this on BBC1?

Seems to have been on hours and is disrupting the schedule. Two of my colleagues are in the Question Time audience and submitted questions and I want to see if they are selected - but the Confed bore-draw means the news hasn't even been on yet.

Surely this competition is BBC at best??
Malabus
When has this country ever been interested in this competition.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:When has this country ever been interested in this competition.
Wasn't even the final.

BBC 3 at best, I meant to say.
Shade
Good quality penalties is why it was on BBC1. To show the nation how it should be done.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Good quality penalties is why it was on BBC1. To show the nation how it should be done.
Penalties only matter when they are important - anyone can take a penalty in what is effectively a friendly.

Maybe even BBC3 is giving it too much respect - red button only at best.
taxidave
So in your opinion Question Time is more important than the Confed Cup. :shock:
Malabus
taxidave wrote:So in your opinion Question Time is more important than the Confed Cup. :shock:
If Boris Johnson is on, then yes. :smile:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
taxidave wrote:So in your opinion Question Time is more important than the Confed Cup. :shock:
It, and the 10 o'clock news maybe even more so given it was an important week, had more interest and relevance to me yes.

Given not everyone is a football, and of those who are quite a few couldn't give two hoots about the Confed cup - I don't know what the competition is for even.
Shade
I am definitely not a football.

I didn't realise anybody cared so much about the 10 o'clock news in this day and age, where we have 24 hour news channels and websites. Just tune to channel 80 or 82 instead of waiting an hour for the match to finish. Job done.
Ralph
Really enjoyed it on in the background.. keeps that footie fix going.. Is the final today or tomorrrow?
Malabus
Ralph wrote:Really enjoyed it on in the background.. keeps that footie fix going.. Is the final today or tomorrrow?
Tomorrow...late kick-off in the UK around 23.00
Ralph
Cheers Mal.. Should be a good game
leohoenig
When I have seen it, I have liked the football - but if it has not been as good as the commentators or pundits were saying
They have a bad habit of thinking that Brazil and Spain are brilliant, even when they are not.
I won't watch the final, because it is late on a Sunday night, and my alarm clock will be set for 6.30 as normal.
Ralph
great 3rd place game so far.. 2-2 going into extra time. Excellent free kicks for goals by both teams.. who says 3rd place means nothing.. these 2 are going for it
Ralph
Brazil flying along 3-0 up.. Spain lacking the intensity so far
Shade
Good job for Brazil the World Cup is in their own country. The crowd definitely helped them up their game by at least 15%. Spain were attrocious by their standards.
Ralph
surprisingly the 3rd place game was a way better one
MarkHalliwell
Really enjoyed the tournament myself.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
It's over then is it?
leohoenig
It has to be - it is the last item (the final coming after the last match in Spanish League promotion play offs) of the old season. That gives yesterday as a free day before the first Champions League and Europa League matches today. So 2013-14 kicks off 14.00 (our time) in Armenia.
Shade
So does next years World Cup officially take part in the 2013/14 and 2014/15 seasons? Or is it just the start of the next season when it begins? Will there likely be Europa & Champions League qualifiers while the World Cup is on?
leohoenig
In my book, the entire of the World Cup is 2013-14 season, despite running into July. It therefore overlaps some of the early European games. There is no official ruling, so I must be right!!
The FA still has a close season, which prohibits matches played in June, but some teams still satrted playing friendlies last week. When the FA has an international in June (i.e most years), it has to ask for special permission to play it. Fortunately, the FA only has to ask the FA!!
There are a few summer leagues in England, and until recently they FA would not affiliate them (which meant referees in particular could not officially participate). The FA has relented on this, allowing these competitions to affiliate via the counties, and therefore officially use referees, and get their insurance, etc.
Shade
leohoenig wrote:In my book, the entire of the World Cup is 2013-14 season, despite running into July. It therefore overlaps some of the early European games. There is no official ruling, so I must be right!!
The FA still has a close season, which prohibits matches played in June, but some teams still satrted playing friendlies last week. When the FA has an international in June (i.e most years), it has to ask for special permission to play it. Fortunately, the FA only has to ask the FA!!
There are a few summer leagues in England, and until recently they FA would not affiliate them (which meant referees in particular could not officially participate). The FA has relented on this, allowing these competitions to affiliate via the counties, and therefore officially use referees, and get their insurance, etc.
Makes sense for it all to be 2013/14. I like the idea of Bernstein asking himself if he can arrange a friendly. I guess the Women's Super League would fall under the summer leagues as well? Or are we talking men's competitions only here?
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:
leohoenig wrote:In my book, the entire of the World Cup is 2013-14 season, despite running into July. It therefore overlaps some of the early European games. There is no official ruling, so I must be right!!
Makes sense for it all to be 2013/14. I like the idea of Bernstein asking himself if he can arrange a friendly. I guess the Women's Super League would fall under the summer leagues as well? Or are we talking men's competitions only here?
I'm vastly more interested in the WSL than the Confederations Trophy or whatever it's called.
MarkHalliwell
Armenian club Shirak Gyumri's Ismael Beko Fofana has just scored the FIRST goal of the 2013/14 CL season, vs Tre Penne of San Marino.
Shade
Lucky guy. He'll go down in the annals of history.
MarkHalliwell
He now has a hat-trick. Shirak lead 3-0 and have missed a penalty.
Shade
What is it people keep saying?
Sign him up, Yatesy :lol: