Depression in football

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Hubert Parry
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0 ... de_Secret/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A powerful documentary, and reliving the Luke Guttridge goal was the least sobering element of it!
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
I saw something about that documentary but missed it when it was on, so will watch later I think.
Shade
Sorry, but two minutes of Clarke Carlisle droning on and I fully understood the title.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:Sorry, but two minutes of Clarke Carlisle droning on and I fully understood the title.
Rather harsh.
Malabus
Am I meant to be distraught that Lee Henrie had one of his four mansions taken away from him. I found the documentary incredibly poor and disrespectful to the people that have nothing in the world and I stress NOTHING. I have walked the streets of Bombay with limbless kids in the sewage system crawling in fly infested feces with a smile on their grubby faces.
Footballers are hugely materialistic and greedy and therefore the spirit suffers - that's the real problem.
Compassion and sympathy goes away when these players feed their material addiction with their £80,000 per week pay checks and cry when it goes, they need a kick up the ass and a dose of reality.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Malabus wrote:Am I meant to be distraught that Lee Henrie had one of his four mansions taken away from him. I found the documentary incredibly poor and disrespectful to the people that have nothing in the world and I stress NOTHING. I have walked the streets of Bombay with limbless kids in the sewage system crawling in fly infested feces with a smile on their grubby faces.
Footballers are hugely materialistic and greedy and therefore the spirit suffers - that's the real problem.
Compassion and sympathy goes away when these players feed their material addiction with their £80,000 per week pay checks and cry when it goes, they need a kick up the ass and a dose of reality.
To an extent Mal, but just like cancer or other diseases like that, depression and other mental illnesses can strike anyone. I don't mean 'low spirits' or 'feeling a bit low' which everyone gets from time to time, I mean the actual illness of depression which can strike anyone without warning.

I think if I came on here saying that we shouldn't care two hoots that Petrov got leukeamia or Muamba had heart failure because they are rich and pampered and don't deserve sympathy then a lot of people would be offended. And that is why I am offended by you being equally dismissive of this particular illness.
Hubert Parry
Mal, I am a bit disappointed as you strike me as someone who would be more compassionate about such things.

RCS is exactly right, depression can strike anyone and even people who appear to be perfectly happy on the face of it. A very good family friend and neighbour committed suicide earlier this year without giving any apparent warning, even though we had coffee most days. It really can strike anyone, and it is a genuine illness.

However, I do agree with you Mal when you talk about materialism. I get the sense that many young people grow up believing that some walks of life are very glamorous and realise once they get there that it isn't as glamorous as they thought. That said, it does upset me when people talk about how selfish people are when they are depressed, or when they commit suicide, it really does. I suppose that is why the documentary has affected me.
Shade
You're right. Depression can affect anyone. So why is there a program about footballers getting it, as if we're supposed to feel extra sorry for them because they have the potential to have it all and still can't be happy? I believe there is one about Frank Bruno by his daughter in a couple of weeks.

I'm not knocking the program being on. Just wondering why footballers think they're special.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:You're right. Depression can affect anyone. So why is there a program about footballers getting it, as if we're supposed to feel extra sorry for them because they have the potential to have it all and still can't be happy? I believe there is one about Frank Bruno by his daughter in a couple of weeks.

I'm not knocking the program being on. Just wondering why footballers think they're special.
I was of the understanding it was because a) football is a sport where anyone who is different is bullied (e.g. no out gay players in the UK) so footballers have to suffer in silence, so the show is trying to change that culture, b) because a lot of society is dumb and ignorant and stigmatises mental health so the only way they'd watch and be interested to learn more about mental health is through the eyes of football - as football seems to be the go-to analogy by the BBC when explaining anything to anyone, and c) because socially men are far less likely to seek help for mental health problems in the UK, so by showing that tough macho footballing heroes can get depression it might make a few men think it's ok for them too.
But yes, I take the point how it's football on a pedestal for no apparent reason - but then media is so saturated with football what do you expect. I'd rather this on TV as something different than have the Mickey Mouse Confederations Cup messing up the TV schedules, or a single transfer rumour dominating news coverage for 3 weeks and crowding out other actual sports news.
Shade
Good points.
baggy89
I've twice caught a bit of it, did I misconstrue the bit where Carlisle was chatting to Gary Speed's sister and managed to turn the conversation round to himself and his issues, illiciting a hug?

Sorry but the more I see of Carlisle the more he comes across as a prize plum.
Red Duke
I have watched the program and I was expecting at the end for Clarke Carlisle to say that in his role with the PFA that his first action would be a specific telephone help line for professional footballers suffering from depression but disappointingly nothing was said.

They have identified a problem, they know of a solution but want others to do it for them. Surely it is the duty of the PFA to look after its members and do it themselves.