End of An Era

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Mohamed Al Fayed has sold Fulham FC after 16 years.

Obviously during that time FFC have gone from the lower divisions to the Premier League. Having saved from the doldrums (and a potential merger with QPR by former owners) he stayed true to the fans and has slowly redeveloped Craven Cottage rather than seeking to move, with the forthcoming brand new Riverside Stand to be his greatest achievement.

I struggle to think of a chairmen better appreciated by the fans - two of the most commonly sung songs see his name sung throughout every Fulham match and I do not think that is a common thing.

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/july/ ... f-al-fayed" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"I have loved every minute of my 16 years at the helm of the London club that was established in 1879, before all the other great clubs in the Capital.

We have had some great times, down by the Thames. There have been notable successes, as champions of League One and winners of the Championship.

We have had some memorable times in Europe. Fulham vs Juventus was probably the greatest game ever seen at Craven Cottage and the sight of the Fulham faithful filling their end of the Elbe Arena in Hamburg, at the UEFA Europa League final will be with me forever."

http://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2013/july/ ... hahid-khan" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
leohoenig
Has anyone mentioned how much he managed to get for the club?
Reports I have seen suggest he was selling the club with minimal (and therefore managable) debt, but that at one stage the club owed over £200 million to Fayed. This was converted into equity and he will have hoped to sell this equity for most or all of his costs.

One does get the feeling, however that Fulham have done well under Fayed
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
leohoenig wrote:Has anyone mentioned how much he managed to get for the club?
Reports I have seen suggest he was selling the club with minimal (and therefore managable) debt, but that at one stage the club owed over £200 million to Fayed. This was converted into equity and he will have hoped to sell this equity for most or all of his costs.

One does get the feeling, however that Fulham have done well under Fayed
Non-disclosed but reported to be £150-200m.

The statement of the official FFC website (link above) says the new guy has taken over the club debt-free.

I'd hope MAF was paid what he was owed, however I would not be surprised if he wrote off some of his own debt for the good of the club. His aim has been to make the club sustainable and not reliant on him, so maybe it got to that stage.

I expect one of the new suites/lounges in the new stand to be called the Mohamed Al Fayed suite.
asl
Did you notice that the guy who bought it also owns the Jacksonville Jaguars in the US...? Made me chuckle a bit and I wondered if it was a factor in securing the purchase!
Ralph
its all part of the plan to bring the first NFL franchise to London. That why the Jags are playing a game a year for 4 years. This guy will spend big money pushing on Fulham. He's got bag loads of cash.
asl
But not any old NFL franchise - JACKSONville... Oh, never mind... ;)
Ralph
hahahaha! hey its still early lol
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Hopefully MAF will take the statue with him, or the builders will accidentally smash it when replacing the stand.
Shade
Best thing Al Fayed did while at Fulham - that letter about Mark Hughes :lol: