BBC have the FA CUP back

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Shade
Thank Christ http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23339424" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
asl
Yay! No more Adrian Chiles and Andy feckin' Townsend (the latter of whom knows less about football than Gazza knows about temperance...)
Shade
Andy Townsend....ugh. Never sees anything when it happens, and even when it's shown on a replay he manages to call it wrong. Seems to have a massive ego as well. I'd much rather listen to Mark Lawrenson whining and moaning his way through every game.

Now if only the BBC could get the Champions League as well...Adrian Chiles and Townsend could both be sacked!
Hubert Parry
Townsend is also alleged to have dished out homophobic abuse during his time as a player too.

Like with a lot of sports, commentary and punditry is so banal. The truly offensive football pundits/commentators are Alan Parry, Mark Lawrenson, Andy Townsend, and Clive Tyldesley. Radio commentary is vastly superior, although Gary Neville does provide some fascinating insight from time-to-time.
Shade
If David Pleat is still on 5 Live then he drags the whole thing down to the tiniest margin of superiority over TV commentary. Also, I don't know who it was but, on 5 Live yesterday evening, the England women's match had the most infuriating radio commentator I've ever heard. At one point he even said "and she caught that shot all wrong, didn't she". Did she?! I wouldn't know...
Malabus
Shade wrote:If David Pleat is still on 5 Live then he drags the whole thing down to the tiniest margin of superiority over TV commentary. Also, I don't know who it was but, on 5 Live yesterday evening, the England women's match had the most infuriating radio commentator I've ever heard. At one point he even said "and she caught that shot all wrong, didn't she". Did she?! I wouldn't know...
That was on Monday...she was annoying.
Ralph
Shade wrote:Andy Townsend....ugh. Never sees anything when it happens, and even when it's shown on a replay he manages to call it wrong. Seems to have a massive ego as well. I'd much rather listen to Mark Lawrenson whining and moaning his way through every game.

Now if only the BBC could get the Champions League as well...Adrian Chiles and Townsend could both be sacked!
we have the FA Cup, CL and the entire Prem season.. every game here free
Ralph
Hubert Parry wrote:Townsend is also alleged to have dished out homophobic abuse during his time as a player too.

Like with a lot of sports, commentary and punditry is so banal. The truly offensive football pundits/commentators are Alan Parry, Mark Lawrenson, Andy Townsend, and Clive Tyldesley. Radio commentary is vastly superior, although Gary Neville does provide some fascinating insight from time-to-time.
offensive? How so
Hubert Parry
Read the previous sentence :roll:
Shade
Malabus wrote:
Shade wrote:If David Pleat is still on 5 Live then he drags the whole thing down to the tiniest margin of superiority over TV commentary. Also, I don't know who it was but, on 5 Live yesterday evening, the England women's match had the most infuriating radio commentator I've ever heard. At one point he even said "and she caught that shot all wrong, didn't she". Did she?! I wouldn't know...
That was on Monday...she was annoying.
SHE was annoying, but HE was just rubbish. And yes, of course it was Monday. Days have started to merge with no cold weather to separate them.
RTT
I find it amazing that a visual product such as football needs people to tell what is going on in front of your eyes, not only that but two or more people to do it. Sometimes they talk more than the radio. A useful use of the red button would be to show the game with no commentary but with crowd noise.
Hubert Parry
Agreed, RTT, I agree with this man entirely:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqAZsoF-ghw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ralph
Hubert Parry wrote:Read the previous sentence :roll:
and i'll ask again.. how so?
You day homophobic. I've heard Parry and Tyldesley commentate on the radio here and i've heard nothing at all like that
Pie
Ralph wrote:and i'll ask again.. how so?
You day homophobic. I've heard Parry and Tyldesley commentate on the radio here and i've heard nothing at all like that
wrong name...
Hubert Parry wrote:Townsend is also alleged to have dished out homophobic abuse during his time as a player too.
;)
Shade
RTT wrote:I find it amazing that a visual product such as football needs people to tell what is going on in front of your eyes, not only that but two or more people to do it. Sometimes they talk more than the radio. A useful use of the red button would be to show the game with no commentary but with crowd noise.
Precisely. I think it was the world cup in 2006 the BBC had an option to listen to the normal commentary, 5 Live commentary or no commentary at all, and since then they occasionally had "fun" commentaries by Chris Moyles. I don't think since '06 though they've given the option of 5 live or no commentary.
Ralph
Pie wrote:
wrong name...
;)
So how are the others offensive?? I'm curious as to why you think that
Hubert Parry
Ralph wrote:
Pie wrote:
wrong name...
;)
So how are the others offensive?? I'm curious as to why you think that
There is difference between 'offensiveness' and what I might find offensive. I find their banality and bullshit offensive - always need to sensationalise, state the obvious, and offer no insight whatsoever.
leohoenig
There is a downside to the BT/BBC deal - the kick off time for the final is going to stay at 5.15 as this gets a greater viewing audience than earlier in the day - and actual fans of the clubs know what they can do.

Well, they must reason even if genuine fans cannot make it, there are plenty of others who are willing to buy tickets. they may even put the prices up
Shade
For this forthcoming season, it was announced the FA Cup Final would be played the weekend after the last Premier League games. Is it still kicking off at 5:15?
leohoenig
According to the report I read (telegraph), the answer is yes - and the reason is bigger TV audience
Shade
:roll:

As there would be no other games on at the same time on the day of the cup final for the first time in years you'd think they might give it a go at 3pm to see how it compares.
RTT
Shade wrote::roll:

As there would be no other games on at the same time on the day of the cup final for the first time in years you'd think they might give it a go at 3pm to see how it compares.
I believe it because of the North American market.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Ralph wrote:
Hubert Parry wrote:Read the previous sentence :roll:
and i'll ask again.. how so?
You're obviously struggling a bit again Ralph so I'll see if I can help.

The word 'previous' means 'the one before'.

I refer you to these two sentences - the presence of the full stop indicates where one ends and the next begins:

Like with a lot of sports, commentary and punditry is so banal. The truly offensive football pundits/commentators are Alan Parry, Mark Lawrenson, Andy Townsend, and Clive Tyldesley.

You asked why those individuals are 'truly offensive'. Hubert said 'read the sentence before'. You will see this sentence mentions banality, but not homophobia.