RIP Coventry CIty

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Robin
Coventry have been liquidated today, we will now have 23 teams in league one. Sad to see a decent relatively local club go to the wall but it's been a circus for too long.
Ralph
looks like your wrong Robin

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23548760" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

for now..

They are still playing Sat
Robin
Early reports were they would not fulfil fixtures but it seems now that Coventry FC Ltd are liquidated but their holdings company will continue (this holds player regisitrations) and they will play their game at Coventry tomorrow but with a 15 point deduction anticipated.
Old Coventrian
Neither the BBC or local media are reporting that CCFC Ltd have yet gone into liquidation. But its looking very likely as the City Council who are part owners of the Ricoh have rejected the CVA. It seems this is part of a plan to stop them leaving the Ricoh, though you would have thought a better plan (given the revised rental recently proposed) would have been to agree the CVA, and get the new rent agreed asap. Surely this can only cause more aggravation
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Let them play at The Ricoh for less rent - surely that is better than them being liquidated and therefore no-one ever playing at The Ricoh.
Cheltenhamshire10
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Let them play at The Ricoh for less rent - surely that is better than them being liquidated and therefore no-one ever playing at The Ricoh.
Isn't that what they've tried?

I thought at one point CC were offered it free for a season. Basically the council want them at the Ricoh, the latest I read was sliding rent dependant upon the league (ie 400k Championship, 150k League 1). Sounds like a good deal to me.

If the council own the Ricoh and the club want to build a new stadium in Coventry I don't understand how they're going to be able to do this?!
little mo
Robin wrote:Early reports were they would not fulfil fixtures but it seems now that Coventry FC Ltd are liquidated but their holdings company will continue (this holds player regisitrations) and they will play their game at Coventry tomorrow but with a 15 point deduction anticipated.
wrong again Robin. They only have a 10 point deduction.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Cheltenhamshire10 wrote:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa wrote:Let them play at The Ricoh for less rent - surely that is better than them being liquidated and therefore no-one ever playing at The Ricoh.
Isn't that what they've tried?

I thought at one point CC were offered it free for a season. Basically the council want them at the Ricoh, the latest I read was sliding rent dependant upon the league (ie 400k Championship, 150k League 1). Sounds like a good deal to me.

If the council own the Ricoh and the club want to build a new stadium in Coventry I don't understand how they're going to be able to do this?!
No - Coventry agreed with Northampton to play at Sixfields as the Ricoh deal was still too expensive. Then the Ricoh owners threatened to sue Northampton Town FC!

Rent would be a good deal IF the club could keep the revenue. Almost everything, aside from gate money, goes to the owners so Coventry get nothing from advertising, refreshments etc - they just cannot earn enough to pay the rent.
Old Coventrian
Basically its just a huge mess, and has been for years. Mismanaged to the point where despite despite transfer fees received of £31m in '00/'01 they were £30m+ in debt when they left Highfield Rd in '05, having been relegated in '01. The agreement at the Ricoh has always been unsustainable.

At least one of the sites apparently under consideration is actually outside the city limits (speedway fans may know the Brandon Rd stadium out towards Rugby).