England v Scotland

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

trickster
What a waste of time what the hell is the use of it a couple of days before the premiership starts, will any of the English players want to risk getting injured playing a meaningless game against the jocks, it’s pointless in more ways than one.
C.V
Will Rooney get a run out un fit for Man Ure but fit for the National side :shock:
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Only as I read this was I even aware the game was being played - what a joke.
trickster
After initially having a moan about the game I think Rooney could be well worth a bet he seems to be at loggerheads with Moyes so he maybe out to prove a point.
Shade
Wonder if Rickie Lambert ever dreamt he'd be coming on and scoring with his first touch within 3 minutes for England at Wembley v Scotland, back when he was running round a shithole in Bristol on wet Wednesday nights.

Fair play to him.
trickster
Oh well that’s Scotland’s world cup over for another 14 years, that’s about how close they will get to it playing us in a friendly.
asl
Rooney's performance said an awful lot about his relationship with his club, I thought. Moyes must've been seething in the ITV box as he made the clever little runs that we've come accustomed to seeing. With the exception of Baines, the back five need a huge kick up the Aris. In particular, Cahill was dreadful and Hart had two shots to save all match - one was a fine finish, but I questioned his positioning in that situation.

Milner's late corner has to go down as one of the worst corner-kicks in the history of international football and he's just fortunate that Baines wasn't 10 yards closer. Zaha was almost as poor - most of his crosses seemed to be aimed at the winger on the opposite side of the pitch.

Apart from that, I thought it was quite a tasty match for a friendly!
Shade
Further to that, I don't know how Townsend gave Welbeck MOTM. Every time I looked up he was giving the ball away or being tackled because he held onto the ball. Ok, he scored a good headed goal, but so did Lambert, who also lost the ball less...
Shade
John Ward getting in on the praise for Lambert, despite never managing him (I think)
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23712376" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
trickster
Shade wrote:Further to that, I don't know how Townsend gave Welbeck MOTM. Every time I looked up he was giving the ball away or being tackled because he held onto the ball. Ok, he scored a good headed goal, but so did Lambert, who also lost the ball less...
I agree, I'm not a big fan of Welbeck so try not to get on his back but thought overall he was awful.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
trickster wrote:
Shade wrote:Further to that, I don't know how Townsend gave Welbeck MOTM. Every time I looked up he was giving the ball away or being tackled because he held onto the ball. Ok, he scored a good headed goal, but so did Lambert, who also lost the ball less...
I agree, I'm not a big fan of Welbeck so try not to get on his back but thought overall he was awful.
I consider Sturridge to be a better player based on the last few months of last season when Sturridge was unstoppable.
Shade
Agree. I don't really see how Welbeck can get picked ahead of him considering their respective club form, but Man Utd players seem to get preferential treatment, given Rooney and Cleverley are in there as well.
asl
Rooney had a good game, I thought, with a goal incorrectly ruled offside (yes, I know the Jocks had stopped by the time he took the shot, but it was still a great position to get into.)

And Cleverley's through-ball for Theo's goal was worth his place on it's own.

IMHO.
Shade
To be fair, those two moments you noted were good. That just reminded me of another thing Townsend said that annoyed me.

He praised Walcott for his run, giving Cleverley the opportunity to play the ball through for him, and basically told Walcott to do it more often so the midfielders can play those balls. The clueless twat obviously failed to notice that any time England got the ball in the middle, Walcott and Baines were bombing down the wings only to find Gerrard and Cleverley keeping the ball, passing it between each other and slowing play down. More than once Baines stopped wide left with his hands in the air as if to say "for Christ sake, I'm free over here and you've wasted the chance to get the ball to me again".
Shade
And Sturridge scores the first goal of the PL season...he's got to be in the squad for the qualifiers in a couple of weeks surely.
RegencyCheltenhamSpa
Shade wrote:And Sturridge scores the first goal of the PL season...he's got to be in the squad for the qualifiers in a couple of weeks surely.
FA needs to question Roy why not if not.