Bobby Moore.

Talk about other football teams at all levels. AND ANY Glos City related threads, even if talking about the groundsharing.

Moderators: Admin, Ralph, asl, Robin

Malabus
Noticed last night that he is a real idol at West Ham and the fans overly adore him. Did anyone see he play in real life.
Si Robin
I didn't, but I get what you mean Mal.

It always makes me question, was he really as good as people say or is it because he's looked at through rose-tinted spectacles for captaining the World Cup winning team?
Shade
That and he was local(ish) boy come good who was a mans man, daaan the pab wiv the misses afta the gaaaaaaaame, ennit. He's basically the guy that all WHU fans want to be, I think. He epitomises the dream era all older WHU fans wish they could live again.
little mo
Yes I did see him play in real life. Yes he was as good as they say.
ctfc.tom
For me, all you've gotta do is watch the tackle on Pele to show how good he was. Just my opinion.
asl
Jairzinho, I think.

But, if you only ever looked at Pack's free-kick v Torquay, you might consider him to be the best in the World.
Joey
asl wrote:Jairzinho, I think.

But, if you only ever looked at Pack's free-kick v Torquay, you might consider him to be the best in the World.
I'll let you decide....

Shade
To be fair, the Torquay keeper should have done better. The ball ended up going waaaaay inside his right post. It was virtually a foot above his head.
leohoenig
Out of Joey's two videos, Packs goal is the better as the other one is an easier shot being as the keeper is out of position. Of course, being able to dleiver one free kick does not make a player world class. That requiresmore than one aspect to your game, andthe ability to consistently do things right.

Still, a Bristol City supported I spoke to last week described Pack as a bargain.
trickster
Si Robin wrote:I didn't, but I get what you mean Mal.

It always makes me question, was he really as good as people say or is it because he's looked at through rose-tinted spectacles for captaining the World Cup winning team?
Also remember Moore wasn’t on £200,000 a week like some of today’s top players in those days they played because they loved the game, most professional’s ambitions was to be able to own a pub when they retired.

Moore was the first player to have pop star status; he is a legend to the West Ham fans and also many England fans of that era.
asl
trickster wrote:Also remember Moore wasn’t on £200,000 a week
So he had to save money where he could, then. For example, when purchasing jewellery.
Shade
Ouch :lol:
Malabus
trickster wrote:most professional’s ambitions was to be able to own a pub when they retire
"Look in at the local".
Old Coventrian
Saw him a few times at Highfield Rd in the late sixties/early seventies - Hurst and Peters still in the side too. A class act.